Like a Phoenix, we have risen from the ashes of a technical bonfire that took the site down without warning. We are a little singed but the forum works. Help us test it out and let us know if you run into problems. We will pass on more information as we work our way through with our tech gurus who brought the site back from the dead. Thank you for your patience and welcome home! pM

Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

People CritiqueLeft Handed Catcher

Images containing people; portraits, family, lifestyle, street, photojournalism, sports, weddings
minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Left Handed Catcher

Post by minniev »

There aren't any left handed catchers in baseball but a kindergartner doesn't know that so this one enjoys the position without worrying about his limitations. Like all the photos I shoot of him through the terrible fencing we have at kids' baseball fields, it was an awful photo: fence in front of and behind him, with a background of parents, chairs, aluminum benches from the other team just outside the fence, glare, but I liked the expression I caught and took it into PS to fiddle with it. I want to make a print of it so all feedback is appreciated. (There isn't any more at top or bottom, so this is all there is). The color version had too much color distortion from the foreground fencing, so I think I'm stuck with monochrome.
Attachments
luke (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

uuglypher
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by uuglypher »

minniev wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 2:35 am
There aren't any left handed catchers in baseball but a kindergartner doesn't know that so this one enjoys the position without worrying about his limitations. Like all the photos I shoot of him through the terrible fencing we have at kids' baseball fields, it was an awful photo: fence in front of and behind him, with a background of parents, chairs, aluminum benches from the other team just outside the fence, glare, but I liked the expression I caught and took it into PS to fiddle with it. I want to make a print of it so all feedback is appreciated. (There isn't any more at top or bottom, so this is all there is). The color version had too much color distortion from the foreground fencing, so I think I'm stuck with monochrome.
Super job, Min! I do like that athlete’s defiant expression!

Dave

St3v3Murray
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by St3v3Murray »

This is one of my favorites and I can't imagine it any better! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by Psjunkie »

Wished I could fiddle around in Ps as well as you....oustanding image minniev ! All artist taste of course, since the expression stood out for you consider brightening the face ever so slightly..or not.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

uuglypher wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 2:41 am

Super job, Min! I do like that athlete’s defiant expression!

Dave
Thanks Dave. I liked his expression too (he's a tough little guy)

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

St3v3Murray wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 4:04 am
This is one of my favorites and I can't imagine it any better! S-
Thank you Steve!

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Psjunkie wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:09 pm
Wished I could fiddle around in Ps as well as you....oustanding image minniev ! All artist taste of course, since the expression stood out for you consider brightening the face ever so slightly..or not.
Thank ya! But -Oh Frank, you are so much better than me with PS in many ways.

I did do some brightening of the face, masking out everything else, but it seems I could go further and probably should for the print.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by Psjunkie »

minniev wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 5:01 pm
Psjunkie wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 1:09 pm
Thank ya! But -Oh Frank, you are so much better than me with PS in many ways.

I did do some brightening of the face, masking out everything else, but it seems I could go further and probably should for the print.
Don't sell yourself short minniev....looks to me like you made up all that stuff about chainlink fence....and that glove motion caught live or added in post makes no difference, it is fabulous........just one great presentation, well done.

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn »

minniev wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 2:35 am

Your description of the settings is all so familiar and what you have done here is a creation beyond expectations. Love this so much. It does deserve to be in print and I'm sure the parents will love this as well. Excellent work from start to finish Minnie !!!
:cheers:

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Psjunkie wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 12:43 am

Don't sell yourself short minniev....looks to me like you made up all that stuff about chainlink fence....and that glove motion caught live or added in post makes no difference, it is fabulous........just one great presentation, well done.
Ha! It is a new field and It is the worst baseball fence I've ever tried to shoot through, much denser than on the other fields and they were bad enough. The glove movement is just happenstance but I liked it so I stuck with it as shot.