Like a Phoenix, we have risen from the ashes of a technical bonfire that took the site down without warning. We are a little singed but the forum works. Help us test it out and let us know if you run into problems. We will pass on more information as we work our way through with our tech gurus who brought the site back from the dead. Thank you for your patience and welcome home! pM

Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

General Discussionsa sense of loss

Open Forum - This is the official "any-topic" portion of the site. Stop in, say "hello", comment on photo or non-photo related topics, vent your frustrations or just chill out. The choice is yours.
PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

a sense of loss

Post by PietFrancke »

I am drunk on wine (my son who took a vacation at my house and watched my dog drank all the beer) after a 15 hour drive from Maine to home. I took a bunch of lousy pictures over the last couple of weeks and found this image taken a couple of weeks ago. This is what we are giving up in our VA Marsh Home (taken from my back deck). We will see if it is really a sellers market right now - because we are moving to Cold Maine.

I missed my dog like you would not believe, and I know that I will never see shots like the one that follows again. The biting flies are starting to come out and while it is a seller's market here, I am scared.
Attachments
Loss.jpg

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

our new home is high on a bluff overlooking a tidal bay that opens to the ocean - so flood insurance won't be needed. It is at the end of two miles of dirt road in an area that has two or three full time residents. (My privacy requirement is met - at least during the non-summer seasons.) The house is larger than our existing house (since it has a basement), but I will have to build a garage to keep my car warm and for my CNC machine and woodworking equipment. Hobbies kill us all the time I know... (we bought a shed to store them as well as our shovels and rakes for much more money than I expected!).
Attachments
new home.jpg

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

the shore is strange, we begin with the trees that that the tide does not reach. And then we have the storm tide that is about where things turn green. Lower is high tide that is identified by where the rocks remain white. Those boulders in the first image at the center right are about the size of an SUV... Then we see the uncovered blue slate or whatever it is, massive rock shelves, and next is a layer of very slippery sea weed over the blue/grey slate. and beyond that is a very messy mud. We see an island across the waters that you can walk to during low tide, crossing a small muddy stream. Later, I will show you the mighty clam digger that braves this mud and works his A$$ of - the hardest working fellow I have ever seen... Good night for now.
shore1.jpg
shore2.jpg
shore3.jpg
I am so very lucky that my wife has and adventurers spirit and that she lets me be foolish - but still I have regrets!

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 1:49 am
I am drunk on wine (my son who took a vacation at my house and watched my dog drank all the beer) after a 15 hour drive from Maine to home. I took a bunch of lousy pictures over the last couple of weeks and found this image taken a couple of weeks ago. This is what we are giving up in our VA Marsh Home (taken from my back deck). We will see if it is really a sellers market right now - because we are moving to Cold Maine.

I missed my dog like you would not believe, and I know that I will never see shots like the one that follows again. The biting flies are starting to come out and while it is a seller's market here, I am scared.
Of course you feel a loss. That place is part of your soul now. But so will the wild rocky coast you're headed to. As one character said in a movie that was filmed in my home town of 200 souls, "it's time to say goodbye to the things you know and HELLO to the things you don't". You're taking what's important with you - your wife, your dog, your camera, your artistic sensibility.

Your new perch is lovely with its Turner-esque seas and brooding evergreens. You'll see amazing sunrises and astounding storms, and find lots that blends with your artistic style.

Post as many pictures as you have the time to share, we will all enjoy your adventure.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

minniev wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 3:07 am
PietFrancke wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 1:49 am

Of course you feel a loss. That place is part of your soul now. But so will the wild rocky coast you're headed to. As one character said in a movie that was filmed in my home town of 200 souls, "it's time to say goodbye to the things you know and HELLO to the things you don't". You're taking what's important with you - your wife, your dog, your camera, your artistic sensibility.

Your new perch is lovely with its Turner-esque seas and brooding evergreens. You'll see amazing sunrises and astounding storms, and find lots that blends with your artistic style.

Post as many pictures as you have the time to share, we will all enjoy your adventure.
thank you Paula for nailing where we are and what we face. I saw no storms and no fog, but those things will be joy to our souls. For all the beauty and joy in front of us, the sorrow is taking me by surprise.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

Nice documentation..well done.....change is hard for all of us but you will persevere.......minniev has said it all

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

Psjunkie wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 11:48 am
Nice documentation..well done.....change is hard for all of us but you will persevere.......minniev has said it all
thanks Frank - fingers crossed for a fast sale - yep, minniev said it all!

uuglypher
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by uuglypher »

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 3:41 pm
Psjunkie wrote:
Thanks, Piet. For your wonderfully pointed exercise in introspection!
Beautifully rendered!
Dave

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

uuglypher wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 9:01 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 3:41 pm
Psjunkie wrote:
Thanks, Piet. For your wonderfully pointed exercise in introspection!
Beautifully rendered!
Dave
thank you Dave for your encouragement.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

When might we see more of those "terrible" pictures you took in Maine? We want to see more of your new stomping grounds!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones