Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Places ShowcaseTorii Gate - Swamp Version

Location images not considered 'scapes; landmarks, towns and cities, parks, vacation locations, your house
minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Torii Gate - Swamp Version

Post by minniev »

Many of the old trees that came down in last year's storm are still stuck in the trees and banks of the swamp. This one reminded me of a Japanese Torii gate. It is an entrance to a shrine of a different sort...
Attachments
torii.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

How about that....

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Psjunkie wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:05 pm
How about that....
It's facing the swamp child tree which looks less healthy than in previous years but appears to have survived. In the fall, if the Torii gate remains as is, it may frame the little tree.

The swamp has changed tremendously from the storms and the 18 months of running wild after. The whole south end was simply mowed down - all the nice little paths, the violet patches, the twisted little tree and bridge I used to photograph in dawn backlight, the big cypress with all the knarly knees - it's just gone. A new path has been placed through and over the sheared area, but it'll take years to look like anything but a bomb site.

The big winner in all this is the tupelos which are apparently tougher, bent with the wind and survived it, and have now propagated themselves substantially. They will take over the entire south end of the swamp very quickly. The cypress survived better on the north end, but there's so many fallen trees I can't get back there yet, maybe when the overgrowth dies down late fall.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by Psjunkie »

Wow...glad the swamp child made it

uuglypher
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by uuglypher »

minniev wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:59 pm
Many of the old trees that came down in last year's storm are still stuck in the trees and banks of the swamp. This one reminded me of a Japanese Torii gate. It is an entrance to a shrine of a different sort...
Min,
What a I totally wonderful natural accident!!! That is a subject that, to my mind, deserves intensive “working” from different angles with different focal lengths under different lighting conditions! That fortuitous happenstance is a body-of-work just waiting……
Fantastic!!! I love it!
I like your Tori gate simile, Frank!
Dave

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

uuglypher wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:16 pm
minniev wrote:
Min,
What a I totally wonderful natural accident!!! That is a subject that, to my mind, deserves intensive “working” from different angles with different focal lengths under different lighting conditions! That fortuitous happenstance is a body-of-work just waiting……
Fantastic!!! I love it!
I like your Tori gate simile, Frank!
Dave
I somehow suspected you might like the comparison, Dave.I'll look for other opportunities.

SoHillGuy
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus

Post by SoHillGuy »

Minniev, did you do some PP on this photo?

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

SoHillGuy wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:29 pm
Hi there! I always PP any image but for this one, Just my usual landscape formula, raw conversion in LR, then to PS for fine tuning (NIK tonal contrast layer @ 25% opacity, NIK glamour glow layer @ 25% opacity.), a little dodge/burn, slight vignette.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

minniev wrote:
what a massive frame, if it stands, it will be many more images.

SoHillGuy
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus

Post by SoHillGuy »

minniev wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:58 pm
SoHillGuy wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:29 pm
Hi there! I always PP any image but for this one, Just my usual landscape formula, raw conversion in LR, then to PS for fine tuning (NIK tonal contrast layer @ 25% opacity, NIK glamour glow layer @ 25% opacity.), a little dodge/burn, slight vignette.
I asked because when I viewed the second tree from the left, there appeared an area where part of a tree faded into the main tree.