Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

― Scapes ShowcaseMore Than Meets The Eye

Landscapes, cityscapes, skyscapes, seascapes, starscapes, panoramas
rmalarz
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

More Than Meets The Eye

Post by rmalarz »

This is actually 6 images made with a 4x5 view camera. The sensor was mounted to a shift-stitch plate which is attached to the camera through a Graflok back. A 2 horizontal row/6 vertical column array of images was photographed by shifting the back within the image circle projected by the lens. Those 6 images were then stitched together by software prior to being processed in Photoshop. When initially opened the image would make a print approximately 65 inches in horizontal length at 300dpi.

This was the first field test of a project that started about a year and a half ago. it involved making a custom front standard for the camera which would accept Graphic lens boards. The adaptor for the sensor was another purchase item. The results show a lot of promise and I have one more step to complete before this is considered finished and ready to use regularly. That is ETTR/EBTR exposure testing of the sensor. Final tests should be completed, hopefully, this week.

The area photographed was devastated by "The Bush Fire". A week ago, it was the largest fire (acre wise) in the U.S. It was human caused but I don't know if it was the result of an accident or carelessness.
--Bob
Attachments
aspo_2020062702_008_013.jpg
There is no CTRL-Z in the wet.
Lifetime member Royal Photographic Society

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie »

Way above my pay grade Bob but interesting...I'm sure you're aware....I notice various differences in hue around the image.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev »

rmalarz wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:59 pm
This is actually 6 images made with a 4x5 view camera. The sensor was mounted to a shift-stitch plate which is attached to the camera through a Graflok back. A 2 horizontal row/6 vertical column array of images was photographed by shifting the back within the image circle projected by the lens. Those 6 images were then stitched together by software prior to being processed in Photoshop. When initially opened the image would make a print approximately 65 inches in horizontal length at 300dpi.

This was the first field test of a project that started about a year and a half ago. it involved making a custom front standard for the camera which would accept Graphic lens boards. The adaptor for the sensor was another purchase item. The results show a lot of promise and I have one more step to complete before this is considered finished and ready to use regularly. That is ETTR/EBTR exposure testing of the sensor. Final tests should be completed, hopefully, this week.

The area photographed was devastated by "The Bush Fire". A week ago, it was the largest fire (acre wise) in the U.S. It was human caused but I don't know if it was the result of an accident or carelessness.
--Bob
You can make some interesting creations with those classic cameras. Like Frank, I can admire your efforts from afar but the concepts are dizzyingly over my head. I can figure the 6 images but the rest of it is past me.

Will you eventually correct the varying color tones in the composited image or are they part of the appeal, like some of the old prints I'm finding in my grandparents' archives? I particularly noted the magenta in the section almost to the left edge/upper section.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

rmalarz
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by rmalarz »

Minnie. thank you very much for looking and your comments.

As for the colors, yes, there are a few small things that are involved with this process. I've been working at resolving each along the way. A lot of them were just getting the camera ready for this sort of thing. Now, we're down to the actual image produced. These are somewhat easier, I hope, to resolve as most of the work is just sitting and working on them.
--Bob

rmalarz
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by rmalarz »

Psjunkie, I'm aware of that. This is one of those work on one issue at a time. First was having custom camera parts made, the second was working through issues with adapter plates, etc. I was thrilled to get this image this far. There are a few other small issues, but those are being resolved as I write this.

The color issue is caused by lens cast. There are corrective measures to deal with this. So, a bit of work lies ahead.
--Bob

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by Psjunkie »

Thanks for the explanation Bob..will be interested and tuned in for updates.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by PietFrancke »

very cool approach to getting hi-res images for super-detailed prints. I am hoping/assuming that if your target is B/W images, perhaps the color issues lose some of their significance.

rmalarz
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by rmalarz »

Piet, I'm just persnickety enough that I want the correct color to do the black and white conversion. I feel that the correct shades of gray will be inaccurately rendered if the colors aren't correct in the first place.

Thanks for taking a look and leaving a comment. That is appreciated.
--Bob
PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:36 pm
very cool approach to getting hi-res images for super-detailed prints. I am hoping/assuming that if your target is B/W images, perhaps the color issues lose some of their significance.