Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

General DiscussionsForum Update 2020

Open Forum - This is the official "any-topic" portion of the site. Stop in, say "hello", comment on photo or non-photo related topics, vent your frustrations or just chill out. The choice is yours.
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Forum Update 2020

Post by Duck »

I know that the forum has gone through some extreme changes in the past month. Preceding that there were posting issues and obnoxious error messages. It is our hope that those issues have now been resolved.

I wanted to take some time to fully explain what has happened and why the radical changes to the site were initiated so you can better understand the decisions that led up to these changes.

Late last year an update was made to the PHP software on the server by the hosting company. These updates are performed periodically to stay abreast of evolving technologies, patch any security issues and ensure that the server is handling the transfer of information and parsing them in the right directions so that we can enjoy interacting with the forum and with each other.

At some point, that upgrade caused a minor glitch in the forum software that prevented a smooth posting of topics, specially with attachments, to the forum's database. As with most reliable software providers, an update to the forum software was released in order to take advantage of the new PHP upgrade (and to make any additional upgrades to the forum software itself). All I had to do was update the forum software.

Unfortunately the timing was terrible... on my part. My laptop was having power issues and I had to make arrangements on my end to dust of my old business computer and bring it up to speed so I could have a working machine for wok while the laptop was being repaired. Needless to say, all that juggling around of equipment delayed the upgrade process. Adding to this chaos was the everyday balancing act of running a business that relied on these machines. Plus the fact that my laptop had all the information for the forum on it.

Eventually I was able to update the forum software. What I did not know was that the update was bigger than I initially thought. While the core program was upgraded to a stable version a lot of the third party expansion mods were not, making them unstable in the process. This created havoc with the mods that had been working fine on our forum previously... including our style template. With one upgrade it rendered about 25% of our add ons incompatible and another 60% as working but with potential issues, which I will be monitoring over the next several months. It is my hope that the developers of these mods release updates for them.

As you see, we have a new look. The style template we had before was no longer being supported but I was able to find a similar one so as to keep the overall look the same. We still have functionality of a lot of the now outdated mods that make using the forum easier such as; Collapsible Forums that minimize screen real estate, Topic Preview when you hover over a topic heading, Recent Topics, Admin News for board notifications, and a few others.

We are now on (fairly) stable ground and the forum should be back in good running operation. There are a few lingering hiccups but they should clear out eventually. One known issue is the the forum logo. The template comes with a generic logo that needs to be replaced with our custom one. I have done that but unfortunately the old logo lives on in the browser cache. To clear it simply do a Google search on how to clear your browser's cache and the header issues will be fixed.

I have also re-established the forum's Rules, User's Guide and Video Guides, though these will need to be updated to reflect any changes caused by the new style template.

I want to thank you for your patience with all the craziness and inconveniences. I hope we can get back to doing what we love; making pictures and sharing them here.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Facebook : Unitas Photography
Instagram : @unitasphotography
Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Thanks, Duck, for all your hard work, and for this informative post about the changes. I will take some time to explore your newest changes and learn more about how to make them work.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck »

minniev wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:58 pm
[...] I will take some time to explore your newest changes and learn more about how to make them work.
Let me know if you have any questions. This is a pretty complex piece of software.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Facebook : Unitas Photography
Instagram : @unitasphotography
Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

We all appreciate it Duck..