Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

― Artistic Expression CritiqueHavana Fingerwork

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Havana Fingerwork

Post by minniev » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:39 pm

Ok, I'm still not shooting much new stuff but trying to learn PS tools. For the past year Frank and Piet have tried to teach me to use gradient maps and Apply Image commands, I have had no luck. I'm back at it, reviewing what they've taught me and what I've picked up from other online coaches. All of you have been so patient with me.

Includes: photo of car, photo of Havana turned into a brush, 4 textures, a map of the Caribean, scanned stamps, a piece of a border, and some unbirds. Plus the aforementioned tools.

Now if I can ever learn luminosity masks, painting and sketching, etc etc.
Attachments
cuba2.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:05 am

I like the stamps and buildings and map on the foreground. I like birds and the edgework and the cracking textures. I like the muted colors. I like the color contrast between the stamp and the yellows, I same for the car. I don't like the front pole running into the stamp (makes the stamp feel like part of a sign). I am thinking in general that making the signs be gone would be great practice in filling in the holes by stealing from the surrounding area.
But - the main critique... For this to really work, I think the car needs to be razor sharp against the image. The top and back and bottom is not all that bad, but the front failed. Also, the bushes in the back are ok next to the car, but the ones to the front don't feel like they leave any road left for the car and along the same lines, the curb that goes away hurts. Perhaps sign gone, and car a little lower in the image.

Map, buildings, etchings, stamps, car - great idea putting them together - they each have their place and add to the complete story.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:37 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:05 am
I like the stamps and buildings and map on the foreground. I like birds and the edgework and the cracking textures. I like the muted colors. I like the color contrast between the stamp and the yellows, I same for the car. I don't like the front pole running into the stamp (makes the stamp feel like part of a sign). I am thinking in general that making the signs be gone would be great practice in filling in the holes by stealing from the surrounding area.
But - the main critique... For this to really work, I think the car needs to be razor sharp against the image. The top and back and bottom is not all that bad, but the front failed. Also, the bushes in the back are ok next to the car, but the ones to the front don't feel like they leave any road left for the car and along the same lines, the curb that goes away hurts. Perhaps sign gone, and car a little lower in the image.

Map, buildings, etchings, stamps, car - great idea putting them together - they each have their place and add to the complete story.
Thank you! Ah yes, you found my Trouble Spot. There is always at least one, either at this juncture or the corresponding juncture on the right side. I paint myself into a corner and find no way out. The front of the car. I agree with your suggested corrections. There is detail there, but it looked worse with it. I'm just not skilled at managing the transitions with masking. Grave weakness, and practice doesn't seem to be helping much. There must be something I'm either not seeing properly or not executing properly or both. I wasn't sure about the signs, but I can restore some of the road and roadside and the front of the car and see if there's something else I can do to it.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:22 pm

I think your composites are coming right along, good blending work...not much to say after Piet speaks..just keep and eye on detail

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:29 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:22 pm
I think your composites are coming right along, good blending work...not much to say after Piet speaks..just keep and eye on detail
I’m reworking this with more detail at the front of the car I hope.