"Whatever you do, be so good they can't ignore you." —Candy Crowley

Photography DiscussionPeter Lik

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Peter Lik

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:55 am

According to a recent news release Peter Lik has sold an image for more than 6.5 million dollars. Some say it's just a marketing scam as no proof has been made of the sale.

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign ... -tasteless
Today is the Day, a New Day.

David Anderson
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus

Post by David Anderson » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:38 am

If it's a marketing scam, it's a beauty.

I applaud the sale if it's true because it's good for photography to be valued for a change.
Getty would sell it for peanuts.

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Onslow » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:47 am

It's an interesting image. 6.5 million to someone like me is a lot to pay for it. However, if someone is a collector and has the resources, why not? If it's a scam, well, it still is an interesting image.

Bobby Deal
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Bobby Deal » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:50 am

I expect the sale is legit as it has been reported I. Major mainstream sources that are traditionally good at fact checking before reporting news.

I am thrilled to see photography being valued but it is more the Peter Lix name and mystique then the photography I am arraid. Part of the appeal may be that it is a black and white of an over photographed location that is most always photographed in color and my a photographer who is traditionally know For his a amazingly saturated and vibrant landscape colors.

Bobby Deal - Commercial Photographer

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

"The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"

PhotoMentoris- "A diverse artistic community dedicated to a culture of photographic education, sharing and creative tolerance"

Cliff
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus

Post by Cliff » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:17 pm

Peter Lik is the keynote speaker at the annual PPA convention this coming February in Nashville, so it will be interesting to get his take on this. At least I HOPE he discusses the sale of this image.

Bobby Deal
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Bobby Deal » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:53 am

Cliff wrote:Peter Lik is the keynote speaker at the annual PPA convention this coming February in Nashville, so it will be interesting to get his take on this. At least I HOPE he discusses the sale of this image.

I doubt people will allow him to avoid discussing it and give. The second hand stories I hear from locals who have worked I. His pront/ frank g shops here in Las Vegas I don't think he would miss the opportunity to tell the world about it.

I have never met him but some of the quotes I have read from him about his work and the color saturation being unaltered and as God made it have raised my eyebrow more then once

Bobby Deal - Commercial Photographer

MY SMUGMUG GALLERIES

"The only photographer we ought compare ourselves to is the one we used to be"

PhotoMentoris- "A diverse artistic community dedicated to a culture of photographic education, sharing and creative tolerance"

Sluggo
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus

Post by Sluggo » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:12 pm

If you haven't done it already, look at the link and read the article. The writer, Jonathan Jones, seems to be a little more than full of himself, and full of something else, too, that we don't usually talk about in mixed company.
I am thankful that I have eyes that can see and that I am ego-less enough that I can occasionally learn new stuff from harsh criticism. I am thankful for a world full of interesting things to look at and photograph. And, I am thankful that I have the health to schlepp my camera gear around with me, a desire to improve my skills . . . and I hope I have the wisdom to know the difference.

pop511
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by pop511 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:38 pm

Following lifted from jonathan Jones
"My iPad can take panoramic views that are gorgeous to look at" On a 2" screen I am sure they are
"Photography is not an art. It is a technology" Ok, so some cars are not lovely to look at and some are not downright ugly.
" In our world where money talks, the absurd inflated price that has been paid by some fool for this “fine art photograph” will be hailed as proof that photography has arrived as art." Some photogs before the turn of the 19th century were considered artists
" when photographers think they are artists" Me?..No I'm not but I wish my work was to that standard.
"Yet, in fact, this downward stream of light is simply a natural aspect of Antelope Canyon" Then why didn't you capture it on your superb phone
"Film-makers, above all John Ford, were influenced by the American landscape painters when they put the west on screen." Wasn't Fords films made of rapidly moving still photographs

Don't mind me...only having a bit of fun..
ed
ed davis

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Onslow » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:26 pm

David Anderson wrote:If it's a marketing scam, it's a beauty.

I applaud the sale if it's true because it's good for photography to be valued for a change.
Getty would sell it for peanuts.

I haven't heard any follow up to this. I wonder if it was? :) As you say David, it's good for photography to be valued.

dloman
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus

Post by dloman » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:33 pm

I find it interesting to note that on the Wikipedia page, "List of most expensive photographs" of the 22 photographs listed there are 4 by Peter Lik and those are the only ones that are listed as private sales. The other 18 list auction houses and the sale is verified.