"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

― Scapes CritiqueWalk With Me Again - Companion Image

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Walk With Me Again - Companion Image

Post by minniev » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:53 pm

I've got dozens of images of this little walking bridge in all seasons, all times of day and all weather, but I keep on doing it because it's fun. This is yesterday's sunrise from the same location as last week's snow shot was taken. It's a bit of frivolous processing with digital paint playthings. All comments welcome.
Attachments
sunrise companion (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:17 pm

That is gorgeous scene, even in its cold starkness. That said, I feel there is too much coolness and the sun invites some form of warmth into the image. Consider isolating the walkway with a wash of warm light. It should help counter all that coolness while strengthening the leading line aspect of the path to the sun.

Now that you have a series you need to start thinking of how they interact with each other as well as standing on their own. ;)
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:36 pm

Duck wrote:That is gorgeous scene, even in its cold starkness. That said, I feel there is too much coolness and the sun invites some form of warmth into the image. Consider isolating the walkway with a wash of warm light. It should help counter all that coolness while strengthening the leading line aspect of the path to the sun.

Now that you have a series you need to start thinking of how they interact with each other as well as standing on their own. ;)

Thank ya Duck. I'll try warming the bridge a bit more. I warmed it some already, and tried to beat back the residual purples (I just don't care for the color purple). Don't be surprised if I ask again once I work a bit more on it.

I started the swamp collection before I ever knew there was a dam-bird, but invested all my time in the bird project once it got going. I once won $1000 for an image of this bridge in a juried competition, that was the catalyst for me beginning to take my photography more seriously. The folks who have migrated from The Other Place are probably sick of my swamp images so I am glad to have some fresh eyes for them. I have not woven them together thoroughly into a coordinated project, but they cross seasons and times of day, with both broad views and closeups. My favorites are those that try to convey a sense of magic - the surreal beauty of a swamp where fairies might co-exist with alligators. A large percentage of them are vertical compositions.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:47 pm

minniev wrote:I've got dozens of images of this little walking bridge in all seasons, all times of day and all weather, but I keep on doing it because it's fun. This is yesterday's sunrise from the same location as last week's snow shot was taken. It's a bit of frivolous processing with digital paint playthings. All comments welcome.

Monet had his bridge, you have yours. I hope you never tire of it. A series? Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:19 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
minniev wrote:I've got dozens of images of this little walking bridge in all seasons, all times of day and all weather, but I keep on doing it because it's fun. This is yesterday's sunrise from the same location as last week's snow shot was taken. It's a bit of frivolous processing with digital paint playthings. All comments welcome.

Monet had his bridge, you have yours. I hope you never tire of it. A series? Matt

I do have my bridge, don't I? Yes, I've been working on the swamp series for a couple of years now, off and on. Took a sabbatical from it while I chased the dam bird project, but am now adding to it a little more. It is a small swamp, so finding new angles is not easy, and the last year's drought has been cruel to it.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:25 pm

It is a small swamp, so finding new angles is not easy,

Perhaps a hula hoop would help? Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:53 am

Interesting minniev, the upper limbs look a bit squirrelly to me...maybe they will grow on me.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:28 am

Psjunkie wrote:Interesting minniev, the upper limbs look a bit squirrelly to me...maybe they will grow on me.

I knew my sharp eyed friend would catch my maneuvering! I did the squirrelly thing on purpose, and can't really explain what I did, but it was an enhancement of the squirreliness that was already there. Among other things, I faded out the lighter twigs to make the darker ones stand out more with more space between, so they do look funny.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:22 am

minniev wrote:Thank ya Duck. I'll try warming the bridge a bit more. ...

I wanted to try something I wouldn't normally do so I hope you don't mind but I tinted it a little.

And I'm curious, have you thought to make a 4-piece Warhol with the opposing seasons? S-
Attachments
sunrise companion %281 of 1%29-1.jpg
sunrise companion %281 of 1%29-1.jpg (458.22 KiB) Viewed 430 times
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:49 am

St3v3M wrote:
minniev wrote:Thank ya Duck. I'll try warming the bridge a bit more. ...

I wanted to try something I wouldn't normally do so I hope you don't mind but I tinted it a little.

And I'm curious, have you thought to make a 4-piece Warhol with the opposing seasons? S-

I have considered a 4 season set but haven't done it, haven't figured quite how to configure it.

I like the tinting. Was this in Lightroom?