“If you're offered a seat on a rocket ship, don't ask what seat! Just get on.” ―Sheryl Sandberg

Project 52Matt's Project 52: A Year in B&W

The goal of Project 52 is to take a photo a week. This is an easier pace than the Project 365.
- Start a thread with your name such as, "MyName's 52" or "MyName's Photo-a-Week Project" so other members can easily track your project. Some Posts May Be NSFW. If you intend to post any questionable images, please include NSFW in the title
Forum rules
Some posts may not be "safe for work". If you intend to post any nude, topless or implied nude images please include the phrase NSFW in your title.
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Matt's Project 52: A Year in B&W

Postby Matt Quinn » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:38 pm

52-1

My wife and I spend summers on Cape Cod. Chatham, a town on the "elbow," has numerous mansions with spectacular views of the water. We don't. So we visit to see how the 1% live. While driving around, I spotted a narrow lane between two large homes, and after checking that it was not marked "Private," drove down to the slip which did have a "private property" sign. Standing on tippy-toes. just outside the slip, I shot this as the sun was streaming through some slots in the clouds and the sky
Chatham sunset 5 (2 of 2).jpg
warned of an evening storm.
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus

Re: Matt's Project 52: A Year in B&W

Postby Matt Quinn » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:25 pm

Number 52-2
Landscape in portrait mode (1 of 1).jpg

I wanted to include the clouds as well as the sand, water and rocks in the foreground, so I tried a 'portrait' shot of a 'landscape.' I visit this spot, Paines Creek Beach on Cape Cod, every morning, weather permitting, and take at least one photo. I never get bored; the scene changes every day. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby minniev » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:52 pm

I'm interested in your project and pledge to follow your work in it. I've been doing a 52 project (or at least I was till I left on my trip, I'm behind now) as a part of a learning project on another site.

I like your first two images, but especially the boats with all their details silhouetted against the sky. The clouds in that second image are wonderful, and your processing really brings out the drama.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Ceropegia » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:29 pm

You are off to a good start with your first two photos. I especially like the first. Hope you manage to keep it up and finish. I did a 365 several years ago (have to admit I missed about three days) - also started a 52 here a while ago but didn't keep up. Feeling that I have been neglecting my cameras lately perhaps I will soon join you and start a new 52.
Martha
In the Appalachian foothills of Northeast Alabama

http://www.ipernity.com/home/picture_taker

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus

Postby Matt Quinn » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:16 am

minniev wrote:I'm interested in your project and pledge to follow your work in it. I've been doing a 52 project (or at least I was till I left on my trip, I'm behind now) as a part of a learning project on another site.

I like your first two images, but especially the boats with all their details silhouetted against the sky. The clouds in that second image are wonderful, and your processing really brings out the drama.

Thank you, Minnie. Nothing like pressure from a master to keep the finger clicking. I will do my best. I already have an idea for the 3d. How was the show? Welcome back. Matt
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus

Postby Matt Quinn » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:19 am

Ceropegia wrote:You are off to a good start with your first two photos. I especially like the first. Hope you manage to keep it up and finish. I did a 365 several years ago (have to admit I missed about three days) - also started a 52 here a while ago but didn't keep up. Feeling that I have been neglecting my cameras lately perhaps I will soon join you and start a new 52.

Thank you, Martha. I will do my best to continue since others are watching and I don't want to wimp out. Pressure is good. Thanks for your comment and support. Matt
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus

Postby Matt Quinn » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:19 am

minniev wrote:I'm interested in your project and pledge to follow your work in it. I've been doing a 52 project (or at least I was till I left on my trip, I'm behind now) as a part of a learning project on another site.

Minnie, I need help. I want to post image #3, but can't figure out how to do that. Can you tell me how? thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby minniev » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:08 am

Matt Quinn wrote:

Minnie, I need help. I want to post image #3, but can't figure out how to do that. Can you tell me how? thanks. Matt

Do just as you did with 52-2. Start a Reply post to this thread, and head it with 52-3.

The images for your project should cascade down, each in their own post, as in any thread. So in the end you'll have one thread, with many posts, 52 of which will be image posts and the rest will be the commentary in between.

Our image "bins" for each post are limited to 3 each (I don't know the reason for this but Duck probably does). But it should give you a nice result nonetheless.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus

Postby Matt Quinn » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:03 pm

minniev wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:

Do just as you did with 52-2. Start a Reply post to this thread, and head it with 52-3.

The images for your project should cascade down, each in their own post, as in any thread. So in the end you'll have one thread, with many posts, 52 of which will be image posts and the rest will be the commentary in between.

Our image "bins" for each post are limited to 3 each (I don't know the reason for this but Duck probably does). But it should give you a nice result nonetheless.

Thank you, Minnie.
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus

Postby Matt Quinn » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:13 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:Number 52-2Landscape in portrait mode (1 of 1).jpg

I wanted to include the clouds as well as the sand, water and rocks in the foreground, so I tried a 'portrait' shot of a 'landscape.' I visit this spot, Paines Creek Beach on Cape Cod, every morning, weather permitting, and take at least one photo. I never get bored; the scene changes every day. Matt

Number 52-3
Lenswork Magazine publishes a monograph series. Last week, I received monograph #11, "China: Land of my Heart," photographs by Dalang Shao, a Chinese photographer and teacher working in Beijing. To quote from the monograph, Dalang Shao's "...aesthetic is thoroughly rooted in Chinese culture and visual language--yet at the same time, there is much in his photography that we Westerners will immediately find familiar. We share ... love of nature and the call to photograph the beauty and serenity we find there..." (p. 4.)

So, with a nod and an apology to Dalang Shao, I offer this effort at photographing and sharing the serenity of my morning. Matt
Attachments
Into the mists of morning (3 of 3).jpg
Matt Quinn

Return to “Project 52”