“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Critic's CornerBald Eagle Family

Our feathered friends from the common to the exotic. Share images, techniques and equipment ideas.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Posts: 894
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Reputation: 95
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Bald Eagle Family

Postby LindaShorey » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:31 pm

The twins should be flying within the next week or so.

Had the usual issues with harsh light and shadows, and distance (this is heavily cropped), and this morning the wind was buffeting me too. Instead of attempting to work the 2x digital zoom jpg, I went straight to the dng (Olympus EM10 Mark ii with Oly 75-300 mm lens). Please let me know if there's anything you'd do differently for pp. Thank you!

btw, the reason I use a dng file is my version of PS Elements doesn't work with the raw file of either of my new mirrorless cameras. As it's PSE 13, I'm a bit annoyed, but I downloaded a free Adobe dng converter that works great.
Attachments
1 P7030183.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1317
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Reputation: 117
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Bald Eagle Family

Postby minniev » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:16 am

LindaShorey wrote:The twins should be flying within the next week or so.

Had the usual issues with harsh light and shadows, and distance (this is heavily cropped), and this morning the wind was buffeting me too. Instead of attempting to work the 2x digital zoom jpg, I went straight to the dng (Olympus EM10 Mark ii with Oly 75-300 mm lens). Please let me know if there's anything you'd do differently for pp. Thank you!

btw, the reason I use a dng file is my version of PS Elements doesn't work with the raw file of either of my new mirrorless cameras. As it's PSE 13, I'm a bit annoyed, but I downloaded a free Adobe dng converter that works great.


it's a great shot, Linda, with the parents and the young all there together getting ready for the kids' big day. Contrasty mid-day light is always aggravating to me, and with some subjects you can go monochrome and try another route with it, but the colors are too important to waste here. I would probably raise the shadows and push the blacks a bit lighter, but I know how much you like your deep shadows, and I respect your choices - after all, these are your eagles!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Posts: 986
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Reputation: 91
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: Bald Eagle Family

Postby Charles Haacker » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:41 am

I tend to agree with Min on the shadows and the blacks. If I'd made it I'd open them a tish, not too much, but to me they seem blocked. I think I would also crop a little from top. All that said, they are your eagles! One of the best things about this shot is the juxtaposition of the adults with the juvies, and the fact that they are all looking expectantly in the same direction. It is superbly balanced!

On DNG's, I ran into the same issue when I started with raw. I had Elements 11 and it would not recognize the NRW files, but it would the DNG conversions. I read everything I can find on it, and have concluded that there is no reason not to convert. I convert everything, from the Nikons and the Sony. The DNG files tend to run slightly smaller than the original raws, and I very much like that the sidecars, the XMP files where Camera Raw and Lightroom store the data of what you did, are embedded with the DNG rather than separately. I just like the neatness of it. When I do the conversions I delete the original raws. I have seen dire warnings that I may one day regret that, but I have also seen things that suggest DNG may one day become the standard. There are even a few cameras now that output their raw files as DNG instead of a proprietary. Works for me. :)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Posts: 894
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Reputation: 95
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Bald Eagle Family

Postby LindaShorey » Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:51 am

Minnie, I shot this just before 9 a.m., one of the drawbacks of living at the 47th parallel in summer :)

Chuck, I thought about taking more off the top, but since I'd already cropped so much, I hesitated. I should go ahead and throw caution to the wind and see just how far I can take it.

Regarding blocked blacks, I never really noticed because I was so intent on sharpness, taming the brightness of the background and so forth. Below is full frame and crop. I started over with the dng and am thinking that using the low key filter as one of the edits on the first entry was not the best idea, lol.

Thank you both very much!
Attachments
1 P7030183 diff dng.jpg
1 crop P7030183 diff dng.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Posts: 986
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Reputation: 91
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: Bald Eagle Family

Postby Charles Haacker » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:13 am

Far as I'm concerned that last one is perfect. I have it and the first open in tabs which allows me to take them up pretty far and toggle between them. I see no sign of noise, they are wire sharp, and the shadows are open just that tish (don't remember where I got that word and I don't think it's even a real word). The whites of the adults are a little brighter as well, but nothing looks blocked. I think it's terrific! (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1317
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Reputation: 117
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Bald Eagle Family

Postby minniev » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:03 am

LindaShorey wrote:Minnie, I shot this just before 9 a.m., one of the drawbacks of living at the 47th parallel in summer :)

Chuck, I thought about taking more off the top, but since I'd already cropped so much, I hesitated. I should go ahead and throw caution to the wind and see just how far I can take it.

Regarding blocked blacks, I never really noticed because I was so intent on sharpness, taming the brightness of the background and so forth. Below is full frame and crop. I started over with the dng and am thinking that using the low key filter as one of the edits on the first entry was not the best idea, lol.

Thank you both very much!


And this gave you more detail, esp in the shadowed parts of the birds and nest. I'm a bit of a nut about blocked up shadows so I like this version better!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Posts: 894
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Reputation: 95
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Bald Eagle Family

Postby LindaShorey » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:39 am

Charles Haacker wrote:Far as I'm concerned that last one is perfect. I have it and the first open in tabs which allows me to take them up pretty far and toggle between them. I see no sign of noise, they are wire sharp, and the shadows are open just that tish (don't remember where I got that word and I don't think it's even a real word). The whites of the adults are a little brighter as well, but nothing looks blocked. I think it's terrific! (OK)

Thanks, Chuck! Tish, tush, skosh...all good :D
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Posts: 894
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Reputation: 95
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Bald Eagle Family

Postby LindaShorey » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:40 am

minniev wrote:
And this gave you more detail, esp in the shadowed parts of the birds and nest. I'm a bit of a nut about blocked up shadows so I like this version better!


Thank you, Minnie! My enjoyment of dark shadows is related mostly to atmosphere and impact; they were doing no favors to this photo, lol. I appreciate your keen eye.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Reputation: 18
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Bald Eagle Family

Postby PietFrancke » Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:57 pm

I can see why you visit these guys. Such awesome birds - and the youngsters are the best.

User avatar
uuglypher
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus
Posts: 241
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:57 pm
Reputation: 20
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: Bald Eagle Family

Postby uuglypher » Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:05 pm

Now THIS is a great family group image. My one distraction is a tonal management problem...the blocked dark details. I suggest go back to ACR "at zero" and balance the whites and blacks...and proceed from three. I'll bet you'll pull out dark detail you hadn't expected were there.

Otherwise, I love it!

Dave


Return to “Birds”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest