Landscapes, cityscapes, skyscapes, seascapes, starscapes, panoramas
minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Walk 20 Paces, Turn, and Fire

Postby minniev » Wed May 17, 2017 9:02 pm

I don't know where to put this one - it has birds but they're small. It has architecture but it's nondescript and ugly. If we had a category named "light" I'd put it there.

Here's another from the dam bird collection. This one is mainly about how the light can be cool and warm in the same image with a fairly discrete division - one bird is in the cool dark end and one in the bright warm end. The post with it's squarish opening lets in shafts of light about 2 hours after sunrise every morning. if other conditions are right. Sometimes I get a bird in the window, sometimes not. This time I just got light, and am wondering if it's enough.

Comments, suggestions, critique, edits are all appreciated.
dam (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Walk 20 Paces, Turn, and Fire

Postby Charles Haacker » Wed May 17, 2017 9:55 pm

I think it's enough. I like it very much. I think it is very well balanced. The light is fantastic, as in fantasy-tastic. I don't find this structure nearly as ugly as you or others may. It's utilitarian. It serves a purpose and serves it well. I always love the backlit curtain of constant spray in here. The birds are, in a way, the pièces de résistance, adding life and animation, but I'm the guy that would make this picture with no birds and still love it. Maybe not as much, but I like the pragmatic solid serviceability of the place with or without boids. I incidentally love your title! :lol:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Wed May 17, 2017 10:11 pm

I like it because it reminds me of a minimalist stage design. I can see this populated with actors doing Macbeth or Henry VIII. Very inspirational and meditative.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby Charles Haacker » Wed May 17, 2017 10:17 pm

Duck wrote:I like it because it reminds me of a minimalist stage design. I can see this populated with actors doing Macbeth or Henry VIII. Very inspirational and meditative.

Yes! And space-staged! :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby LindaShorey » Wed May 17, 2017 10:42 pm

Yes, the title is genius! I love the massive forms and the light. The birds are delightful "finds" after one is drawn into the scene. Did you consider a small crop off the bottom? I tried and like better for the feeling of being closer to the scene. Would you discuss your feelings and decision about that, please?
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Fri May 19, 2017 2:43 am

Charles Haacker wrote:I think it's enough. I like it very much. I think it is very well balanced. The light is fantastic, as in fantasy-tastic. I don't find this structure nearly as ugly as you or others may. It's utilitarian. It serves a purpose and serves it well. I always love the backlit curtain of constant spray in here. The birds are, in a way, the pièces de résistance, adding life and animation, but I'm the guy that would make this picture with no birds and still love it. Maybe not as much, but I like the pragmatic solid serviceability of the place with or without boids. I incidentally love your title! :lol:

Thanks for your feedback. I wasn't at all confident that those two far-apart birds (who really do have an ongoing dispute) could hold down the ends of the photo from such a distance. The dam is hopelessly ugly but it is utilitarian, and like any structure, has certain lines and angles that make good elements for photography. I plead guilty to taking pictures of it without birds, particularly in interesting light and water action.Whether I one day add in a bird to some of those remains to be scene. I have added a human to one, just for the fun of it so who knows!.

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Fri May 19, 2017 2:48 am

Duck wrote:I like it because it reminds me of a minimalist stage design. I can see this populated with actors doing Macbeth or Henry VIII. Very inspirational and meditative.

Thank you Duck. The dam birds as actors on a stage is one of the themes I'm developing. I recently found a new path down to the edge that gives me a closer, lower approach to one of the long flat stage-like structures. I have more from this subset.

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Fri May 19, 2017 2:52 am

LindaShorey wrote:Yes, the title is genius! I love the massive forms and the light. The birds are delightful "finds" after one is drawn into the scene. Did you consider a small crop off the bottom? I tried and like better for the feeling of being closer to the scene. Would you discuss your feelings and decision about that, please?

Thanks Linda. I have no compositional attachment to that spare water along the bottom, but at this point in the project, I am posting the largest uncrossed files possible, to get opinions that will help me know whether crops are strongly enough needed that I can sacrifice file size. I have nightmares about pixels.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Fri May 19, 2017 6:59 am

minniev wrote:...I have nightmares about pixels.

Wrong way of thinking, my friend. It's not about the pixels, it's about the story.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Sat May 20, 2017 4:09 am

Duck wrote:
minniev wrote:...I have nightmares about pixels.

Wrong way of thinking, my friend. It's not about the pixels, it's about the story.

For me it has always been about the story, and I've happily shot away with my less than auspicious equipment and printed at home up to 13x19 without a hitch. Only after I got this darned award last month did pixels ever become a thing I thought about. Now I have to learn how to print larger than I've ever done, suitable for display, and the pixel disease has struck me with a vengeance. If you have a cure, please send it quickly :) .

Return to “― Scapes Critique”