"Sometimes imagination is no more than randomness applied." —Piet Francke

People CritiqueOlivias first session with me.

User avatar
Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:42 am
Location: Whyalla, South Australia
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first
Contact:

Olivias first session with me.

Post by Onslow » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:07 am

I was having to do some business with a local printing company and was dealing with Olivia who worked there. I thought she had a classic look that I would like to try and capture. We talked about art and photography a bit. It turns out she is a local artist and the conversation turned to models. She told me when she was doing her Arts degree, that she had had trouble getting models to pose for her. Hmm, I thought. (!) After our business was finished, I sent her an email asking if she would consider posing for me and sent her examples of some of my work. After a couple of weeks, I received an email agreeing to this. :) We have since struck up a good friendship. I must admit to be nervous about doing that as I had never asked anyone I didn't know previously.

1)
Image

2)
Image

User avatar
TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2635
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:42 am
Location: Fredericktown, MO
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by TomCofer » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:19 am

Looks like you stepping out of your comfort zone and asking her to model paid off big time Onslow!
Very beautiful young lady and well shot in my eyes.
Someone is bound to say something about stray hair clean-up, so I'll say it first. :) Probably could use a bit more. :)
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

User avatar
Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:42 am
Location: Whyalla, South Australia
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first
Contact:

Post by Onslow » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:49 am

TomCofer wrote:Looks like you stepping out of your comfort zone and asking her to model paid off big time Onslow!
Very beautiful young lady and well shot in my eyes.
Someone is bound to say something about stray hair clean-up, so I'll say it first. :) Probably could use a bit more. :)

Cheers. :) Stray hairs don't really bother me unless they are covering eyes etc in a way that doesn't compliment it to me. Hair on the edges not so much either although I will clean them up if I don't like them.... (6)

User avatar
TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2635
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:42 am
Location: Fredericktown, MO
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by TomCofer » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:00 am

I didn't say that I'd clean them up, only that I expected someone else to suggest it and wanted to beat them to it. :lol:

I tend to leave more fly-aways than many seem to care for.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

User avatar
Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:42 am
Location: Whyalla, South Australia
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first
Contact:

Post by Onslow » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:02 am

Sounds like me then as well Tom...

User avatar
AliH
Mentoris Novus
Mentoris Novus
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:31 pm
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by AliH » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:49 am

Number 1 is a very nice shot. Her features are classic and her eyes are beautiful. You did great with the light as I thought it was a window light at first.

How big/close was the lighting that you achieved this beautiful falloff towards her right shoulder?

User avatar
Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:42 am
Location: Whyalla, South Australia
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first
Contact:

Post by Onslow » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:01 am

AliH wrote:Number 1 is a very nice shot. Her features are classic and her eyes are beautiful. You did great with the light as I thought it was a window light at first.

How big/close was the lighting that you achieved this beautiful falloff towards her right shoulder?

Thank you Ali. :)

The lighting was standard portrait light of Main 90x90cm softbox at 45 degrees camera right around 2 metres from her and the bottom of the softbox around 6" above the top of her head. The fill was the same except for the placement of around 10 degrees camera right. The ratio between the main and fill was 2:1.
Finally, for the falloff I wrapped a light vignette over the image to drop the extremities and bring focus to the face. This last stage was done in LR on export. Those Effects panel settings were as follows.
Amount = -45
Midpoint = 18
Feather = 87

The amount I vignette will differ according to the lightness/darkness of the background.

User avatar
EJones
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:31 pm
Location: WA State, USA
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by EJones » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:26 pm

Been looking at these since you first posted them trying to make up my mind on them :)

I do like the first one but would push that near shoulder back some. I felt the eyes lacked a tad bit of sparkle but do agree with AliH about the eyes. If you don't mind I could take a stab at adding a bit to the eyes and post the results along with the steps I took.

I'm not crazy about the second shot but do love the mischievous look on her face. I'm never a fan of the shoulder into the camera pose so I'd push that near shoulder back so she's more at a 45 degree angle to the camera. As it is with her arm up like that she has a rather thick appearance to her torso. Looking a again maybe just have her pull her near hand back onto her hip and extend/straighten her back. Finally have her turn her head a little to camera right so her nose does not point into the camera - I try to never have a young lady point her nose into the lens but over my shoulder then bring her eyes back into the lens. That said the light camera right does a nice job highlighting her hair.

User avatar
Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 1075
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:42 am
Location: Whyalla, South Australia
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first
Contact:

Post by Onslow » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:09 am

EJones wrote:Been looking at these since you first posted them trying to make up my mind on them :)

I do like the first one but would push that near shoulder back some. I felt the eyes lacked a tad bit of sparkle but do agree with AliH about the eyes. If you don't mind I could take a stab at adding a bit to the eyes and post the results along with the steps I took.

I'm not crazy about the second shot but do love the mischievous look on her face. I'm never a fan of the shoulder into the camera pose so I'd push that near shoulder back so she's more at a 45 degree angle to the camera. As it is with her arm up like that she has a rather thick appearance to her torso. Looking a again maybe just have her pull her near hand back onto her hip and extend/straighten her back. Finally have her turn her head a little to camera right so her nose does not point into the camera - I try to never have a young lady point her nose into the lens but over my shoulder then bring her eyes back into the lens. That said the light camera right does a nice job highlighting her hair.

Youa re welcome to have a try at the eyes. :)
These are some of my personal favourites from this session. The 2nd in particular was just before she broke into a fit of giggles. I did get some great ones then , They are however not actually what I was after. :) I do have images that have your suggestions in them. I'll try and dig a couple up shortly. :)

User avatar
EJones
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:31 pm
Location: WA State, USA
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by EJones » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:04 am

I use Photo Shop so don't know the steps in other tools.

Make a general selection of the eyes - above the eye brows and about as much below the eyes.
Under "Layer" "New" "Layer via copy". This will give you a new layer of the eyes you selected.
With that new layer selected select "Filter" "Sharpen" "Smart Sharpen". In the dialog box that comes up way over sharpen the layer. I had the amount set to 123% and radius set to 6.0
Now add a layer mask and fill it with black. This should allow the original eyes from the base layer to show thru.
Select your brush tool and set the foreground color to white and pant over the color of the eye bringing out the over sharpened colored iris of the eye.
Now reduce the opacity to taste.

Next I added a blank layer and selected the brush tool.
Open the color selection pallet and use the eye dropper to select a green color from her eye.
Paint over the iris and then use the eraser tool to erase the area of the pupil, I normally lower the opacity to see the pupil in this step.
Now lower the opacity to taste.

p820262509-6.jpg
p820262509-6.jpg (333.12 KiB) Viewed 1198 times


Hopefully this close up will show the differences a little better.

Eyes.jpg
Eyes.jpg (183.68 KiB) Viewed 1198 times

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests