"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Member's ShowcaseThe other volcano in my neighborhood

The scenery around us is a ready target for our cameras. Point those images here.
- Scenic sights, architectural marvels, tourist landmarks, beaches, cottages, nooks and crannies can all find a home here.
LindaShorey
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

The other volcano in my neighborhood

Postby LindaShorey » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:50 pm

Seems unfair, doesn't it? :) This is Mt Adams, as seen from the valley just south of Yakima (west of Toppenish WA). I sent to my brother and he said, Did you "photoshop" the birds? Ah, photography in the 21st century! (no birds were added, or subtracted for that matter)
Attachments
295118-1_p1000781_1.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Re: The other volcano in my neighborhood

Postby Didereaux » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:53 am

That is a VERY nice shot. Would look great on either metal or canvas. @ 20x30 min would make any wall standout that it was hung on.

Way back in the stone-age I was stationed on a radar base in central Or for a while. From the tower you could see The Sisters, Mt Hood, St Helens, Adams and Rainier. We could pick up Baker on the radar, but could not see it visually. Gawdawful country, but some beautiful views and good steelhead fishing...this was before the John Day Dam. Wish I had been sdoing photography back then....oh welllllllll :(
Last edited by Didereaux on Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby LindaShorey » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:57 am

Didereaux wrote:That is a VERY nice shot. Way back in the stoneage I was stationed on a radar base in central Or for a while. From the twoer you could see The Sister, Mt Hood, St Helens, Adams and Rainier. Gawdawful country but some beautiful views and good steelhead fishing...this was before the John Day Dam.

So glad you enjoyed; thanks! Shot with my new-to-me Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 and 14-140 mm lens. I was pleased with the fast focus.

Amazing you could see so many volcanoes from one spot! Near the top of the national park entrance (Sunrise), you have Mt Rainier right in your face + when the weather is clear, Mt Adams to south and Mt Baker to north. Breathtaking.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Didereaux » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:01 am

LindaShorey wrote:
Didereaux wrote:That is a VERY nice shot. Way back in the stoneage I was stationed on a radar base in central Or for a while. From the twoer you could see The Sister, Mt Hood, St Helens, Adams and Rainier. Gawdawful country but some beautiful views and good steelhead fishing...this was before the John Day Dam.

So glad you enjoyed; thanks! Shot with my new-to-me Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 and 14-140 mm lens. I was pleased with the fast focus.

Amazing you could see so many volcanoes from one spot! Near the top of the national park entrance (Sunrise), you have Mt Rainier right in your face + when the weather is clear, Mt Adams to south and Mt Baker to north. Breathtaking.

We could see those because we were out on the lava/ash flats of central OR, at a good elev ' You are to close to the Cascades to see very widely. Out around the Tri-cities you can see pretty much what I saw.
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:52 am

JEALOUS! I love the image but am oddly captivated by the water below where something about it pulls the image together. I'll be curious what others say about it.

Thank you again, and yes I've added The Sisters to the list of places to see! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Didereaux » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:00 am

St3v3M wrote:JEALOUS! I love the image but am oddly captivated by the water below where something about it pulls the image together. I'll be curious what others say about it.

Thank you again, and yes I've added The Sisters to the list of places to see! S-

To me tat water etc and birds are a strong foreground, the middle ground is nondescript, and the background mountain is strong. That gives great depth to the picture! Hard to achieve. Wonderful effect.

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:22 am

That's beautiful Linda. Mt Adams is a gorgeous mountain and you've done it justice with this nice layer-cake of an image with all the different colors and textures and shapes. And birds so nicely caught in flight in great light. This scene so reminds me of some shots I took once from Trout Lake, which has to be near there.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby LindaShorey » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:08 pm

Thank you all so much! Much of the water here is spring flooding in fields around a national wildlife refuge. I took this pic a few weeks ago; the trees and bushes are greener now.

Foreground, middle ground, background (especially if background is a big payoff, but not 100% necessary) - LAYERS of "stuff" - is my favorite way to shoot landscapes. So I'm always thrilled when one works out as this did (tiny nitpick to self: need an inch more on right to show where mountain disappears behind foothills.

Minnie, I had to look up Trout Lake. It is due south of Mt Adams and I was shooting from due east. With wilderness preventing a direct route, it's about a two hour drive (south, then west) :) Would love to see your photos of that area!

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:09 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Thank you all so much! Much of the water here is spring flooding in fields around a national wildlife refuge. I took this pic a few weeks ago; the trees and bushes are greener now.

Foreground, middle ground, background (especially if background is a big payoff, but not 100% necessary) - LAYERS of "stuff" - is my favorite way to shoot landscapes. So I'm always thrilled when one works out as this did (tiny nitpick to self: need an inch more on right to show where mountain disappears behind foothills.

Minnie, I had to look up Trout Lake. It is due south of Mt Adams and I was shooting from due east. With wilderness preventing a direct route, it's about a two hour drive (south, then west) :) Would love to see your photos of that area!

I took another peek and am curious about the light. It looks like you caught the old girl in all her glory but wonder if there were any considerations with metering against the wide variety of colors and reflective surfaces. Was it hard to compensate for the snow or did it all fall into place in processing? Really beautiful! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby LindaShorey » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:34 pm

St3v3M wrote:I took another peek and am curious about the light. It looks like you caught the old girl in all her glory but wonder if there were any considerations with metering against the wide variety of colors and reflective surfaces. Was it hard to compensate for the snow or did it all fall into place in processing? Really beautiful! S-

I'm getting pretty lazy about my exposure on-site, lol. If I were on a trip of a lifetime and absolutely didn't want to blow it, then maybe I'd pay more attention. Here is the dng (converted to jpg and reduced) with minimal edits. Not only did I do a lot of processing, but this Lumix (mirrorless M4/3) is relatively new to me and I'm still figuring out its idiosyncrasies compared to my dslr.

On Uglyhedgehog, I also posted a slightly less saturated version of the one above (it wasn't well received - ha) and a textured one that several folks enjoyed best. You just never know :) Thank you, Steve!
Attachments
P1000781.jpg

Return to “Landscapes & Scenics”