"The most difficult thing is the decision to act. The rest is merely tenacity." —Amelia Earhart

Critic's CornerHilary

Black and white, monotone and duo tone images. No full color images. Forum is not genre specific.
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Hilary

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:13 am

Another portrait for Hilary and her HS Senior Year. It does look like the HS Senior market is over for me here on the Olympic, they're just not calling. I remember photographing 60 a season, last year I did 12 and this year it doesn't look any better. Oh Well, time to move on.

This image was taken in front of a movie poster in downtown Port Townsend.
Attachments
IMG_4117 Antique.jpg
IMG_4117 Antique.jpg (269.11 KiB) Viewed 2238 times
Today is the Day, a New Day.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Hilary

Postby St3v3M » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:05 pm

Without the backstory I would have thought this to be a poster for her latest soundtrack. Very well done and hope you share more! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

pop511
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Postby pop511 » Sun May 28, 2017 7:29 pm

I don't think the younger age cares less about images now, unless it is taken from a phone!
Your thoughts?
ed davis

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Tue May 30, 2017 3:47 am

pop511 wrote:I don't think the younger age cares less about images now, unless it is taken from a phone!
Your thoughts?

Why does it matter how the image? S-

pop511
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Postby pop511 » Tue May 30, 2017 8:21 am

Of course it matters.
The whole reason why this and other forums were set up is to discuss, learn, critique, or go to college and learn your craft there.
Picture taking phones have their place and I'm not arguing one way or other on that.
I am yet to hear from anyone who has taken a picture from their phone discuss any technical aspects. Exposure etc:
If it turns out crap...Well... it's still a pic.
It's just not in their vocabulary.
ed davis

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Tue May 30, 2017 11:37 am

pop511 wrote:Of course it matters.
The whole reason why this and other forums were set up is to discuss, learn, critique, or go to college and learn your craft there.
Picture taking phones have their place and I'm not arguing one way or other on that.
I am yet to hear from anyone who has taken a picture from their phone discuss any technical aspects. Exposure etc:

I don't consider myself an expert, and I may not understand the question, but I shoot a lot of photos from my phone and I don't think many people can tell the difference between my shots with and without my camera.

As to the technicals, I process my cellphone photos in Snapseed with all the usual adjustments. The camera also has the option to take phots in RAW using the Professional Mode giving that much more flexibility with the settings and processing.

I hope this helps! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Tue May 30, 2017 11:37 am

pop511 wrote:Of course it matters.

I don't consider myself an expert, and I may not understand the question, but I shoot a lot of photos from my phone and I don't think many people can tell the difference between my shots with and without my camera.

As to the technicals, I process my cellphone photos in Snapseed with all the usual adjustments. The camera also has the option to take phots in RAW using the Professional Mode giving that much more flexibility with the settings and processing.

I hope this helps! S-

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Tue May 30, 2017 2:44 pm

Hilary & I went to Port Townsend for her outdoor Senior Portraits. This was in front of the Rose Theater with a Movie Poster behind her and I just asked her to look up to the light.

Your very correct Ed, The High School Senior market has changed, however I'm and other photographers are still attracting a few.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

pop511
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Postby pop511 » Tue May 30, 2017 6:58 pm

Thx Steve;
You have brought the subject to the very place I intended.
"As to the technicals, I process my cellphone photos in Snapseed with all the usual adjustments. The camera also has the option to take phots in RAW using the Professional Mode giving that much more flexibility with the settings and processing."

You know what you are doing, but these days where pic taking is so, so easy. Who cares if the background is exposed correctly and the subject is black/blurred/out of focus...

When I was a kid and had my Kodak Brownie it was an instrument for picture taking and you had to learn. My biggest headache then was, how do I stop reflection from the prism lenses on top and sides. I was always getting light reflection.... :D

Once upon a time we had Hi_Fi
Where all the instruments were in their own space. Front, back. A three dimensional sound stage. Now it's shove on a cd....
My apologies to Ernst:
Gotta laugh at myself
This is fun;
Happy days;
ed davis

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Tue May 30, 2017 8:31 pm

pop511 wrote:Thx Steve;
You have brought the subject to the very place I intended.
"As to the technicals, I process my cellphone photos in Snapseed with all the usual adjustments. The camera also has the option to take phots in RAW using the Professional Mode giving that much more flexibility with the settings and processing."

You know what you are doing, but these days where pic taking is so, so easy. Who cares if the background is exposed correctly and the subject is black/blurred/out of focus...

When I was a kid and had my Kodak Brownie it was an instrument for picture taking and you had to learn. My biggest headache then was, how do I stop reflection from the prism lenses on top and sides. I was always getting light reflection.... :D

Once upon a time we had Hi_Fi
Where all the instruments were in their own space. Front, back. A three dimensional sound stage. Now it's shove on a cd....
My apologies to Ernst:
Gotta laugh at myself
This is fun;
Happy days;

One day we had 8x10 box cameras and now we have digital...

We should move this to another subject if we continue past this. S-

Return to “Black & White”