Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Open ChallengesCarlson's Guide to Landscape Painting

Want to challenge fellow members? Post your challenge here.
PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Carlson's Guide to Landscape Painting

Post by PietFrancke »

Easily found on Amazon for 18 or 20 bucks. Very high impact book full of "ah-ha" moments packed with information about landscape painting. It is my belief that understanding his foundational knowledge can not but help with landscape photography, painting, photo-editing, etc. He touches on so many basic/key/foundational principles that it truly boggles the mind.

I wish to explore his book in detail, please join me on this journey by getting the book, reading along, and doing play exercises to gain understanding about basic principles and to have lots of fun. I will open with Chapter three - titled Angles and Consequent Values which contains around 15 pages of fun and learning.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

chapter three - Angles and Consequent Values
He discusses that we have a dome above us - that contains the brightest area - since it is where the sun is and where the light comes to us through clouds and sky. The next lightest area is the plane that reflects the dome most directly - the ground. Darker than the ground are things that point to the dome at a 45 degree angle - like mountains. And things that stand upright, get the least light and are thus the darkest - like trees or the sides of buildings perhaps.

So I created a primitive example following those principles - not going to get into modeling this image, just trying to put something together. Please create your similar images and post them (following the above rules) - and then later, we will move forward. I will wait a week or so for others to procure a copy of this wonderful book, and then we will continue to work through it, perhaps a chapter at a time sharing and discussing our work and having fun and learning.
P1.jpg

uuglypher
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by uuglypher »

PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:51 pm
Easily found on Amazon for 18 or 20 bucks. Very high impact book full of "ah-ha" moments packed with information about landscape painting. It is my belief that understanding his foundational knowledge can not but help with landscape photography, painting, photo-editing, etc. He touches on so many basic/key/foundational principles that it truly boggles the mind.

I wish to explore his book in detail, please join me on this journey by getting the book, reading along, and doing play exercises to gain understanding about basic principles and to have lots of fun. I will open with Chapter three - titled Angles and Consequent Values which contains around 15 pages of fun and learning.
Good book-lotsa insightful concepts for landscape artists in any medium
Available from Abebooks.com starting at less than $10.00 (includes shipping)

Dave

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

Just this simple information can have an impact to our play projects and our editing exercises. For instance, I share a recent - not so good work of mine that did not consider this information. I will present before and after, and challenge you to present a before and an after image that gets an edit to take the above information into consideration. In other words, show something where you apply this principle of dome/ground/45 degree/90 degree. My before, and my after - where I intentionally brightened the sky and the ground.
before.jpg
after.jpg
with this very minor change (probably not taken far enough), the ground now reads more like the ground (grasses perhaps) and the dark shapes above the ground suddenly have the potential to read like a line of trees.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

uuglypher wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:36 pm

Good book-lotsa insightful concepts for landscape artists in any medium
Available from Abebooks.com starting at less than $10.00 (includes shipping)

Dave
hi Dave,
Completely agree about it being a good book - including in my mind the photographic medium!!

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

Way above my pay grade but I will be watching.....

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

Psjunkie wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:56 pm
Way above my pay grade but I will be watching.....
hi Frank! thanks for popping in. Though I disagree strongly about any of this being above your pay grade - that I will not agree to! No Way.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

I’ve ordered the book and am interested in how it comes i to play with photography!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

minniev wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:42 pm
I’ve ordered the book and am interested in how it comes i to play with photography!
awesome, we will play with trees and hills and clouds and figure out how some of that stuff works.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

PietFrancke wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:40 am
minniev wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:42 pm
awesome, we will play with trees and hills and clouds and figure out how some of that stuff works.
I don't have the book, and I know this is a rough approximation but I used your idea to fiddle with this thing that involves some sketching and Topazing and some painting and some texture. This treatment made Mt Katahdin as flat as a pancake because the setting sun was opposite it, and the lack of shadow got it turnt to mush once the detail was lowered. So I rough-painted some slopes and shadows on a layer, blending it, lowered opacity, and pushed the pixels around to get the second version. I know it needs more work, and I need more knowledge, but I can see the idea has merit.
Attachments
katahdin (1 of 1).jpg
katahdin2.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones