Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

― Artistic Expression Critique'Simba & Nala' (Composite)

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'Simba & Nala' (Composite)

Post by davechinn » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:03 pm

This is a composite of a male lion (Simba) and a female lioness (Nala). Both were in the same exhibit at the Cincinnati Zoo taken (6/3/19) my first and only visit this year. Since I was not able to capture them together, I decided to try a composite by placing the lioness in with the male lion, for a B&W conversion. The idea came to me while viewing pop511"s thread titled 'King' and Psjunkie's thread titled "Caged'. Both are outstanding B&W lion images.

Is this composite realistic or is more work needed?

History and/or description of the two characters from 'The Lion King':
Simba
Cheerful, feisty lion cub Simba "Just Can't Wait to Be King," but with the loss of his dad, Mufasa, his adventures take a new path.
Nala
Nala and Simba are best friends, and the two never admitted to being in love until they were reunited years later.
Attachments
Simba & Nala DEC_1838 B&W tone w.jpg
'Simba & Nala'
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:31 pm

Very realistic Dave.....my only nitpik is the grass right of her paws...the blurriness(fogginess) is light enough in color or brightness(not sure how to describe it) to draw my eye....I think some negative offset on an exposure adjustment layer masked in and opacity to taste might resolve......There is a lot to like about this image. The lions themselves of course but your positioning of them along with the grass elements works very well...congratulations!

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by davechinn » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:00 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:31 pm
Very realistic Dave.....my only nitpik is the grass right of her paws...the blurriness(fogginess) is light enough in color or brightness(not sure how to describe it) to draw my eye....I think some negative offset on an exposure adjustment layer masked in and opacity to taste might resolve......There is a lot to like about this image. The lions themselves of course but your positioning of them along with the grass elements works very well...congratulations!

Thank you Frank. I made some corrections to the area you mentioned, but I'm not satisfied with my results. I may make another attempt.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:46 pm

davechinn wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:03 pm
This is a composite of a male lion (Simba) and a female lioness (Nala). Both were in the same exhibit at the Cincinnati Zoo taken (6/3/19) my first and only visit this year. Since I was not able to capture them together, I decided to try a composite by placing the lioness in with the male lion, for a B&W conversion. The idea came to me while viewing pop511"s thread titled 'King' and Psjunkie's thread titled "Caged'. Both are outstanding B&W lion images.

Simba
Cheerful, feisty lion cub Simba "Just Can't Wait to Be King," but with the loss of his dad, Mufasa, his adventures take a new path.
Nala
Nala and Simba are best friends, and the two never admitted to being in love until they were reunited years later.
Beautiful creatures. The composite works, and I would easily have accepted it as a "real" shot, converted with some use of blur in your typical "new" style, mixed with good detailed monochrome conversion. Now that you've told us it's a composite I find myself looking for clues. They are there, but so mild that the normal viewer wouldn't notice without being told to look. That means it's well done.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by davechinn » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:57 pm

minniev wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:46 pm
davechinn wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:03 pm

Simba
Nala
Beautiful creatures. The composite works, and I would easily have accepted it as a "real" shot, converted with some use of blur in your typical "new" style, mixed with good detailed monochrome conversion. Now that you've told us it's a composite I find myself looking for clues. They are there, but so mild that the normal viewer wouldn't notice without being told to look. That means it's well done.

Thanks Minnie !!! Once a composite has been revealed it's almost impossible to not see all those sore thumbs jumping out at us. In order to make this one work, I rotated the lioness and made some corrections to the foreground. It was a little difficult to blend her feet/paws in the grass, altho more work is needed for sure. Here are my originals for anyone anyone that has interested.
Dave
Attachments
DEC_1844w.jpg
DEC_1842w.jpg

David Alan Harvey