Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
"He who knows most knows how little he knows." -Thomas Jefferson

Things ShowcaseFountain sodas

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Fountain sodas

Post by Duck » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:33 pm

A couple years ago I shot a restaurant's menu. They are now ready to expand to catering and have added some items to their menu. In our discussion they mentioned that incidentals (sodas, pastries and such) are stock images. I thought I'd shoot some of these incidentals for my own stock site with the intentions of selling them the rights. Might as well keep it al inhouse.

This is the first one I set up for stock, which I branded here with their logo. I'm also including a BTS shot of the setup (prior to pouring the sodas).
Unitas_Photography-0024.jpg
Soda assortment
Unitas_Photography-161718.jpg
Soda BTS
Unitas_Photography-161718.jpg (46.09 KiB) Viewed 345 times
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:15 pm

Duck wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:33 pm
A couple years ago I shot a restaurant's menu. They are now ready to expand to catering and have added some items to their menu. In our discussion they mentioned that incidentals (sodas, pastries and such) are stock images. I thought I'd shoot some of these incidentals for my own stock site with the intentions of selling them the rights. Might as well keep it al inhouse.

This is the first one I set up for stock, which I branded here with their logo. I'm also including a BTS shot of the setup (prior to pouring the sodas).

Unitas_Photography-0024.jpg

Unitas_Photography-161718.jpg
I always look at your product photos from the perspective of a customer with a camera rather than a critic. I like: the way you've got only a few of the cups showing the label, the odd angle which makes it more arty and "modern" than if they were set straight, and the frothiness of the contents (whatever it really is - I've seen articles about how what's in product photos is often very different from the product itself).

Nice to see how big the tent of photography really is.

Your studio still scares me.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:40 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:15 pm
I always look at your product photos from the perspective of a customer with a camera rather than a critic. I like: the way you've got only a few of the cups showing the label, the odd angle which makes it more arty and "modern" than if they were set straight, and the frothiness of the contents (whatever it really is - I've seen articles about how what's in product photos is often very different from the product itself).

Nice to see how big the tent of photography really is.

Your studio still scares me.
Thank you, Minnie. In this case it really is soda. Cheap $.69 liter bottles of soda from Walmart :D
The logos were added in post. One of the benefits of being a graphic artist as well.

One of these days I should do a video walkthrough of my studio for you guys to see. Don't know how much interest anyone has in it but it's my little 'man cave'.

NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:15 pm

Duck wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:40 pm

Thank you, Minnie. In this case it really is soda. Cheap $.69 liter bottles of soda from Walmart :D
The logos were added in post. One of the benefits of being a graphic artist as well.

One of these days I should do a video walkthrough of my studio for you guys to see. Don't know how much interest anyone has in it but it's my little 'man cave'.
It might make an interesting thread to post photos of our work areas. Yours and Ernst's would put the others of us to shame but we all are following our muses, even if slowly and with a limp.

I should have taken a photo this morning of my "studio" :D . I belong to a 52 group, and this week's assignment was photographing water drops. Unable to find my flash or my tripod, I tied a sandwich bag full of water to a gooseneck lamp with a shoestring, put a glass bowl under it, poked a hole in the bag, and shot away. Since there wasn't enough light from the lamp, I laid my headlamp beside the bowl to shine from the side.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:03 am

minniev wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:15 pm
[..]
I should have taken a photo this morning of my "studio" :D . I belong to a 52 group, and this week's assignment was photographing water drops. Unable to find my flash or my tripod, I tied a sandwich bag full of water to a gooseneck lamp with a shoestring, put a glass bowl under it, poked a hole in the bag, and shot away. Since there wasn't enough light from the lamp, I laid my headlamp beside the bowl to shine from the side.
Which only goes to prove, you don't need fancy equipment to make a good photo. Just the imagination and willingness to work it.

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:36 pm

An excellent display I could learn from !!! Maybe you could teach us a little bit of this technique while at Monhegan? I would be interest in knowing more. :thumbup:
Dave
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey