Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
"He who knows most knows how little he knows." -Thomas Jefferson

― Artistic Expression CritiqueJudas Tree - spring study

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Judas Tree - spring study

Post by minniev » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:26 pm

The blooming of redbuds, or judas trees, are some of the early signs of spring here, and welcome after a grueling winter season with much rain and little sun. They are almost impossible to get decent photographs of because of how they grow, but they provide good options for capturing color and detail in more abstract ways. I played a bit with them yesterday, and here's what I have so far. All comments welcome.
Attachments
redb (1 of 1)-2.jpg
redb (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:21 pm

I like what you did in both on their own, however I am wondering how the two concepts would look married together.
My only concerns are the overly wordy amount of text (perhaps shorten it) and the spotted look of the bold caps with that particular font. The caps really stick out (think in terms of texture).
Just an observation from a designer's point of view.

Overall, I really like your painterly interpretation of the tree in that second image and can see it as the background for the text and specimen image.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:46 am

Duck wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:21 pm
I like what you did in both on their own, however I am wondering how the two concepts would look married together.
My only concerns are the overly wordy amount of text (perhaps shorten it) and the spotted look of the bold caps with that particular font. The caps really stick out (think in terms of texture).
Just an observation from a designer's point of view.

Overall, I really like your painterly interpretation of the tree in that second image and can see it as the background for the text and specimen image.
Thanks Duck. I value your thoughts on these mixed creations I come up with. I will experiment on tha “marriage”. I could mask out a little more of the text. Not sure about the font, will see what else might work. Maybe a different blending mode...My thinking, such as it was, on the first one was to use a less painterly approach because it was a somewhat encylcopedic type of piece. The second one I went wild with, several paint layers and one layer with some parts rendered with more clarity. But they might work together, we shall see!

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:26 pm

Nice work with each, I'm not sold on the paper word look though....just seems like a distraction for me

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:13 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:26 pm
Nice work with each, I'm not sold on the paper word look though....just seems like a distraction for me
Thanks Frank. I understand. But I love words and paper and typefaces.. what more can you expect for someone who read a book named Elements of Typographic Style for the fun of it? :D I’m just weird.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:11 am

not at all...what else would one expect from a newspaper descendant...

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:48 pm

perhaps have the specimen box bottom left or something is an option also, I love the painterly look of the second image and agree that it would make a better element. Very cool work.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:07 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:48 pm
perhaps have the specimen box bottom left or something is an option also, I love the painterly look of the second image and agree that it would make a better element. Very cool work.
Thanks. I have gathered a few flower images, not very good ones, since all the flowers are stunted from the bad winter, and am trying to remember how to do artistic composites...