― Artistic Expression CritiqueFingerwork for Today: Aspen in Snow

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Fingerwork for Today: Aspen in Snow

Post by minniev » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:48 pm

When in Aspen, I enjoyed the variety of architecture, but most of it dated from the time Aspen became prosperous. I found only a couple of structures from when it was a frontier town, one being this old store that was in the throes of renovation with orange plastic fencing, yellow barrels, all kinds of blue tarps, and various other evidence of ugly modern construction. So I decided to salvage it with a composite that would hide as much as possible and mitigate the rest somewhat. It was surrounded by modern buildings so I made a brush of the store photo, reduced and skewed it, and used that to create a similar but graphic version of a building beside it. Then I went through some old 1800's store receipts and added some pieces of those. Then worked on color, added some textures here and there, and some snow since 6 inches of snow had just fallen there.
Attachments
aspen.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:20 am

'nother well done card...

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:39 pm

minniev wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:48 pm
When in Aspen, I enjoyed the variety of architecture, but most of it dated from the time Aspen became prosperous. I found only a couple of structures from when it was a frontier town, one being this old store that was in the throes of renovation with orange plastic fencing, yellow barrels, all kinds of blue tarps, and various other evidence of ugly modern construction. So I decided to salvage it with a composite that would hide as much as possible and mitigate the rest somewhat. It was surrounded by modern buildings so I made a brush of the store photo, reduced and skewed it, and used that to create a similar but graphic version of a building beside it. Then I went through some old 1800's store receipts and added some pieces of those. Then worked on color, added some textures here and there, and some snow since 6 inches of snow had just fallen there.

Well rendered Minnie !!! I love capturing old buildings with a certain antique look among other sorts of antiques. Except mirrors of course.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:04 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:20 am
'nother well done card...
Thank ya Frank.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:05 am

davechinn wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:39 pm
minniev wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:48 pm

Well rendered Minnie !!! I love capturing old buildings with a certain antique look among other sorts of antiques. Except mirrors of course.
Dave
Thanks Dave. I like old stuff too. It has more character than modern/urban stuff.

pop511
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by pop511 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:29 pm

Loving the stuff you and Dave are putting up. You seem to have really found your groove!
As always, we all see and interpret differently. The large snow representations seem to overpower the rest of the picture and my eyes continuously come back to them.
Your thoughts?
Have fun:
ed davis

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:45 pm

pop511 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:29 pm
Loving the stuff you and Dave are putting up. You seem to have really found your groove!
As always, we all see and interpret differently. The large snow representations seem to overpower the rest of the picture and my eyes continuously come back to them.
Your thoughts?
Have fun:
Thanks! I tried the small snow first, but I needed some extra camouflage to help me disguise some of the problems, so brought in the larger ones too. Overall, I tend to agree with you.

It seems with most complex composites that I do, I literally paint myself into a corner in an area of the frame that's about on the lower right thirds juncture. I am trying to find ways to compensate, but there is almost always an area right there where lots of the stacked items end up meeting and making a mess. It must be a way I'm prone to see the end result in my head and how I go about putting it together.

pop511
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by pop511 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:57 am

And don't mind me. In my old age I tend to get things wrong. The last time a police officer blew his whistle at me. I thought he was trying to be cute and wanted a date!!
Have fun...
ed davis