Animals CritiqueLord of the Island

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Lord of the Island

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:43 pm

Lemonade. Wonderful, splendid, glorious lemonade. This is what one gets with an open mind and open eyes. Very well done.

I prefer the color in yours but the crop by pop511. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:55 am

pop511 wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:52 pm
My view on this is somewhat similar to Duck, but felt it more important to have the waves in final.
Have fun;
I like it with more of the water showing. Thanks for this!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:57 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:43 pm
Lemonade. Wonderful, splendid, glorious lemonade. This is what one gets with an open mind and open eyes. Very well done.

I prefer the color in yours but the crop by pop511. Matt
It is a nice crop. I had trouble making my mind up about the mountains in the background.

I am pretty easy to please so when I’m in a beautiful place I don’t need much else. Everything I find is treasure of some sort.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:45 am

minniev wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:35 pm
We went on a whale excursion that found no whales, a fishing trip that found no fish and a bear trip that found no bears. Yet each gave us other interesting adventures. The whale trip got held up for rough water, between these rocky islands ruled by sea lions. If I was lucky enough to land my focus on anything from that lurching boat, I was thrilled. I mitigated the intensity of the blues of the background but it's still pretty blue, and I couldn't find a good place to crop for all the overlapping animals. All feedback appreciated.
I went for a whale watching tour once and was surprised to see whales, it's not that I've lost faith in tours but more that I've learned to open myself to seeing everything there is to offer and if they whales happen by then I'm better for it! This looks to be one of those times for you and you did well by it. I can't imagine keeping focus on the water. Score! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:29 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:45 am
minniev wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:35 pm
We went on a whale excursion that found no whales, a fishing trip that found no fish and a bear trip that found no bears. Yet each gave us other interesting adventures. The whale trip got held up for rough water, between these rocky islands ruled by sea lions. If I was lucky enough to land my focus on anything from that lurching boat, I was thrilled. I mitigated the intensity of the blues of the background but it's still pretty blue, and I couldn't find a good place to crop for all the overlapping animals. All feedback appreciated.
I went for a whale watching tour once and was surprised to see whales, it's not that I've lost faith in tours but more that I've learned to open myself to seeing everything there is to offer and if they whales happen by then I'm better for it! This looks to be one of those times for you and you did well by it. I can't imagine keeping focus on the water. Score! S-
I often think of that line from the Coen brothers movie "O Brother Where Art Thou?", when the Oracle told the main characters:
"You will find a great treasure. But the treasure you seek is not the treasure you will find."

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:34 pm

minniev wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:29 pm
I often think of that line from the Coen brothers movie "O Brother Where Art Thou?", when the Oracle told the main characters:
"You will find a great treasure. But the treasure you seek is not the treasure you will find."
Where a man's heart is, there is his treasure also. -Saint Ambrose
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:04 am

Minnie, In the original, it looks like the lion is calling to the mountain above to the left which has the seal-head shape, the seal-god of the mountain. I like the interplay of elements -- brute nature, animals safe in their natural environment in the storm, dominant individual, the group at rest, the lavish depth of blue, the color of peace amidst the chaos. Superbly spied and captured. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin