― Artistic Expression CritiqueAugust Fingerwork #7 - Gallinule

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

August Fingerwork #7 - Gallinule

Post by minniev » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:43 pm

I was happy to find some gallies in the backwaters of the local refuge just after sunrise, and decided to make a mess of them. All suggestions appreciated as I blunder on...
Attachments
gally (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:49 pm

You're getting good with these minniev...no suggestions

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:27 pm

yepper, what Frank said. However... perhaps... Words grab and suck the eye right in, so the image feels top heavy. maybe softer words, or move them to the bottom to ground them.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:38 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:27 pm
yepper, what Frank said. However... perhaps... Words grab and suck the eye right in, so the image feels top heavy. maybe softer words, or move them to the bottom to ground them.
My thoughts as well. I think it's overall really good, but I immediately thought, "Ghost the type;" reduce its opacity. Moving it down might be good as well, but my sense is it's mostly too dense and therefore eyecatching. You might also try slightly reducing the opacity of the plant left foreground. I think you want most attention on the gally but there are other features that seem to draw the eye away. :|
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:14 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:49 pm
You're getting good with these minniev...no suggestions
Thanks for taking a look!

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:15 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Thanks Piet. I appreciate your thoughts. I may try both - moving and reducing opacity. I am still not adjusting to compositional thinking when I build one of these pieces. I fear I am brining my kitchen sink approach to compositing...

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:17 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:38 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
My thoughts as well. I think it's overall really good, but I immediately thought, "Ghost the type;" reduce its opacity. Moving it down might be good as well, but my sense is it's mostly too dense and therefore eyecatching. You might also try slightly reducing the opacity of the plant left foreground. I think you want most attention on the gally but there are other features that seem to draw the eye away. :|
Appreciated!! I will try both ghosting and moving. The plant I’m not too sure about either, it may not work well at reduced opacity but perhaps a mix of blending modes and opacity changes may help? Compositing an image involves so many new ways of thinking, and by the time I’m thinking I’m done, I sometimes can’t even remember my steps. That’s why I need friends who can see it fresh and telll me stuff.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:50 pm

minniev wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:17 pm
... and by the time I’m thinking I’m done, I sometimes can’t even remember my steps. That’s why I need friends who can see it fresh and telll me stuff.

I think there is a deep truth somewhere in this statement. I am blind to my own work, but it is easy to be more objective (or at least think I am) with someone else's work. I don't know if it time invested, or just having spent a long time looking at it, but there is something to be said about seeing it fresh.

It would be another step (and I am lazy and seldom do it). But flipping an image to it's mirror is supposed to help with seeing something fresh.