Animals CritiqueLord of the Island

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Lord of the Island

Post by minniev » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:35 pm

We went on a whale excursion that found no whales, a fishing trip that found no fish and a bear trip that found no bears. Yet each gave us other interesting adventures. The whale trip got held up for rough water, between these rocky islands ruled by sea lions. If I was lucky enough to land my focus on anything from that lurching boat, I was thrilled. I mitigated the intensity of the blues of the background but it's still pretty blue, and I couldn't find a good place to crop for all the overlapping animals. All feedback appreciated.
Attachments
lord (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:01 pm

I love it - I remember you saying that you were doing this trip with cell phone only? If this is a cell phone shot, I think it is pretty good. I think the colors are deep and rich. I would have loved to have seen this particular shot with zoomed in with a longer lens though, that pose is to die for. It is very cool to see some remnants of mother nature doing well.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:23 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:01 pm
I love it - I remember you saying that you were doing this trip with cell phone only? If this is a cell phone shot, I think it is pretty good. I think the colors are deep and rich. I would have loved to have seen this particular shot with zoomed in with a longer lens though, that pose is to die for. It is very cool to see some remnants of mother nature doing well.
Oh my no, this was with camera and longest lens (70-300), almost fully extended. The laptop is what I didn't take, so I couldn't do much processing, though it didn't matter, I wouldn't have had the energy anyway. The sun didn't set till 9:30 and rose again about 4 so we didn't get much sleep. After it was over I wondered if I should've shot with less lens and got more chance of actually having something in the frame. Most of my shots were out of focus or of the sky or water as the boat bounced up and down the swells. The Pacific Ocean isn't very pacific, it seems. I cannot imagine how people get high quality shots from such a ride! Some do, but I suspect they have top of the line equipment and plenty of practice. Maybe some sort of hand-held stabilizer? I dunno.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:02 am

minniev wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:35 pm
I mitigated the intensity of the blues of the background but it's still pretty blue, and I couldn't find a good place to crop for all the overlapping animals. All feedback appreciated.
I think a simple temperature adjustment for the blue with mask and some judicious cloning with no crop would come close to what you have described as your wanted result.....

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:26 am

There is a lot going for this image that works; The central subject stands out because it is doing something different than the others and is breaking the silhouette of the foreground. There is a story going on there that is easy to read and understand. I also like that there is plenty of environment to help that story along. Had you zoomed in tight it would not be the same story but rather a portrait if a sea lion. As for the colors... I really like them. You have a perfect display of complimentary colors that play off each other nicely and the contrast between the seals and the rocks are perfect. The background offers just enough detail to understand what it is without pulling the eye away from the main theme and the "off kilter" angles of the mountain, the rocks and the water add the right amount of "instability" to offset or enhance the rather languid state of the subjects. Unfortunately the image does lack a certain "umph" to it, most likely because it is a rather familiar scene with nothing "unusual" happening within the frame. Perhaps consider recropping this to a more "panoramic" aspect to see what that does. Technical wise... you should be proud of this one.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:15 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:02 am
minniev wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:35 pm
I mitigated the intensity of the blues of the background but it's still pretty blue, and I couldn't find a good place to crop for all the overlapping animals. All feedback appreciated.
I think a simple temperature adjustment for the blue with mask and some judicious cloning with no crop would come close to what you have described as your wanted result.....
Thanks Frank. I didn’t even think about cloning out some of these characters.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:23 pm

Duck wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:26 am
There is a lot going for this image that works; The central subject stands out because it is doing something different than the others and is breaking the silhouette of the foreground. There is a story going on there that is easy to read and understand. I also like that there is plenty of environment to help that story along. Had you zoomed in tight it would not be the same story but rather a portrait if a sea lion. As for the colors... I really like them. You have a perfect display of complimentary colors that play off each other nicely and the contrast between the seals and the rocks are perfect. The background offers just enough detail to understand what it is without pulling the eye away from the main theme and the "off kilter" angles of the mountain, the rocks and the water add the right amount of "instability" to offset or enhance the rather languid state of the subjects. Unfortunately the image does lack a certain "umph" to it, most likely because it is a rather familiar scene with nothing "unusual" happening within the frame. Perhaps consider recropping this to a more "panoramic" aspect to see what that does. Technical wise... you should be proud of this one.
Thanks Duck, I always appreciate the degree of detail you bring to your feedback. You always make me think! The off kilter effect is part happenstance due to rocking and rolling in that boat, but partly purposeful when it came to editing because I kinda liked the way the elements didn’t quite line up neatly.

It is indeed a common scene for that and similar areas. Someone with great equipment and experience could’ve done a far better job. Still, it’s an oddity for me which I guess is part of the reason I love traveling. I’m intrigued with your idea of a Pano type crop. Would you mind showing me what you have in mind? I can’t figure out quite where to do that deed.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:04 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:23 pm
I’m intrigued with your idea of a Pano type crop. Would you mind showing me what you have in mind? I can’t figure out quite where to do that deed.
I'm not sure if you cropped in even closer than your original, but my idea is to give the image a little more weight and splendor by creating more of a cinematic aspect ratio rather than the standard "snapshot" ratio. Finding out where to crop is a trick. You want to keep enough of the environment to give clues as to the setting so it doesn't sacrifice the story. In this case I knew cropping out the water would change it too much. The mountains are easier to crop since we don't need to see the top to know it's a mountain. For this final crop I took off more from the top than the bottom. If your original has more lateral information you can expand the cinematic feel by creating a wider crop. I also added a bit more rotation to the image. I'm not sure it ads anything but I thought I'd try just as an experiment. Hope this helps.
Lord of the Island.jpg
Lord of the Island.jpg (84.91 KiB) Viewed 103 times
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:13 pm

Duck wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:04 pm
minniev wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:23 pm
I’m intrigued with your idea of a Pano type crop. Would you mind showing me what you have in mind? I can’t figure out quite where to do that deed.
I'm not sure if you cropped in even closer than your original, but my idea is to give the image a little more weight and splendor by creating more of a cinematic aspect ratio rather than the standard "snapshot" ratio. Finding out where to crop is a trick. You want to keep enough of the environment to give clues as to the setting so it doesn't sacrifice the story. In this case I knew cropping out the water would change it too much. The mountains are easier to crop since we don't need to see the top to know it's a mountain. For this final crop I took off more from the top than the bottom. If your original has more lateral information you can expand the cinematic feel by creating a wider crop. I also added a bit more rotation to the image. I'm not sure it ads anything but I thought I'd try just as an experiment. Hope this helps.

Lord of the Island.jpg
I appreciate! I see what you mean about leaving enough for context. Yes, I cropped a bit from the side and from the water, so I’ll look at the original and see what’s possible from all available pixels. It does create a different “look” and “feel.” . I’m still learning what “cinematic” really refers too, it’s sort of a nebulous concept to me that drifts between aspect ratio and processing. Thanks for taking time to show and tell on this one!

pop511
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by pop511 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:52 pm

My view on this is somewhat similar to Duck, but felt it more important to have the waves in final.
Have fun;
Attachments
lord (1 of 1).jpg
lord (1 of 1).jpg (131.59 KiB) Viewed 98 times
ed davis