"Photograph things you care about, not what you think others want to see. There is no substitution for passion." —Sarah Rice

― Artistic Expression ShowcaseAunt Annie-Floy's Cream Pitcher - FingerWork #2

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Aunt Annie-Floy's Cream Pitcher - FingerWork #2

Post by minniev » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:26 pm

I had trouble practicing my assignments while I was limited to my ipad, since I've not figured out the rudimentary layering protocol yet. But I could take pictures and add textures, then finish up at home.

Aunt Annie Floy was not my aunt, nor even kin to me. My father married quite a few women, the last of which was about my age, and had been raised by her Aunt Annie-Floy, so I've heard her name a lot. The House is now hosting Aunt Annie-Floy's china and a couple of impressive chairs. I have things given or made by friends and relations all over everywhere, creating my very own museum.

So yesterday when I was using the cream pitcher to pour blueberries into freezer bags, I decided to take a shot or two and use it for my fingerwork. Textures, paint programs, various brushes, frames, a vintage picture of blueberries.
Attachments
edgew (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:27 pm

Minnie, your still life photography ... if I may call it that, is wonderful. You may convert me to new areas yet !!!
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:44 pm

very cool image and process. No question that the text adds visual interest and character. You are an exceptionally strong person, so even though this is in showcase - I will say (just to have something to say) that I wish the text on the left was a touch more subtle. Regardless, we learn by Doing and Practicing, and Applying and at the end of it, I can only say "more, More, MORE!". Dave has it right, it is Wonderful. The color is magnificent.

And I enjoyed the story too.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:13 pm

davechinn wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:27 pm
Minnie, your still life photography ... if I may call it that, is wonderful. You may convert me to new areas yet !!!
Dave
Thanks Dave. I really don't know what I'm doing, this is just some flailing about. But I have fun with it. Jump in and give it a try, you'd be great with it, since you've already got all your texture and blending skills in place!

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:15 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:44 pm
very cool image and process. No question that the text adds visual interest and character. You are an exceptionally strong person, so even though this is in showcase - I will say (just to have something to say) that I wish the text on the left was a touch more subtle. Regardless, we learn by Doing and Practicing, and Applying and at the end of it, I can only say "more, More, MORE!". Dave has it right, it is Wonderful. The color is magnificent.

And I enjoyed the story too.
Piet, that is exactly what I want. And maybe I should put these in critique so everyone would know to give me feedback. I just didn't feel I knew enough about what I was doing to take people's time for that.

It's all layered up so all I have to do is fiddle with that layer and possibly its mask... I agree with you. I like the way the text on top came out best. It was a brush, actually, the first time I'd added text using a brush.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:35 pm

yeah, the text at left is at odds somehow while the text on top is really nice. It might be the strength of it, some of it might be that it is so close to the cups spout - so the cup feels cramped. One RULE I learned in cntrl.Paint is that if you have two objects (text and cup) that are close, watch out. That is to say, don't let the edges touch each other. Overlap is ok, distance is ok, but the end of the Y and the L touching the edge of the cup is not ok..

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:41 pm

also that text moved itself into the foreground (instead of the background), probably because the plane of the table is so clear. The group of berries and cloth receding causes the text to "float" in the air visually. But it feels in front while the other text feels like it is behind..

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:52 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:41 pm
also that text moved itself into the foreground (instead of the background), probably because the plane of the table is so clear. The group of berries and cloth receding causes the text to "float" in the air visually. But it feels in front while the other text feels like it is behind..
I’m gonna try making the text smaller and lighter, move it around some and try darkening that light area of the cloth some. If that doesn’t solve it, I’ll try a different piece of text in that area.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:18 pm

Here's a different piece of text, that I hope blends better with the other.

And I've thought, at least potentially, of a way I could try to do textures blended with images while I'm just working on the ipad in my Other House.

In the old house, I have many old journals and letters from the late 1800s/early 1900s, some old receipts with images like the one on this image. I can take pictures of them with my phone and after I get my regular photos into the ipad, use the "blend exposures" mode of the Pixelmator ap to try to overlay them. A new experiment!

I know, I'm trying to learn too many things at once.
Attachments
edgewx (1 of 1).jpg