Flowers & Plants ShowcaseThe Secrets of Flowers

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

The Secrets of Flowers

Post by minniev » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:39 pm

What the heck is going on here? I was trying a side angle to these black eyed susans, which were rattier than most I've seen for so early in the season. I spotted the odd fellow on top and sought to include him in some degree of sharpness while still getting the flower.

Of course, with my not-so-great near vision I missed the army traveling in formation below. What are they all up to? Are they related or interdependent or just different kinds of travelers out for a picnic?

And most of all, how would stuff like this be best photographed? What/who should be in focus and who not? What angle?
I'm not exactly asking for critique because I know the photo is not much to work with, but for future reference, when you have an entire community living on a plant, what then?
Attachments
the secrets of flowers (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:21 pm

That's up to the eye of the artist and story wanted I think, I will say had you not mentioned the odd fellow up top I would have mistaken him for browned petal edges...I find the image enjoyable as is...

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:50 pm

Love it the way it is Minnie. Nice and sharp for my eyes.

All critter great and small out for a picnic and a stroll.

Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:48 pm

with all the traffic I find this pretty interesting. You might play with white frame within image kind of things if you wanted to highlight the action, but as you have it is plenty cool. The yellows and greens look super good. I like the detail of the old center piece/crown, the spider I could do without (he is hard to get nice without him being the focal point, but with the army on the march, they steal the show..

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:55 am

Considering there is som much activity going on, this presentation works well. Of course with the finer detail of the ants this is not an image you can appreciate on a small scale. It calls to be big. I particularly love how the line of ants are silhouetted along the stem against the light green of the background. Very well captured but I'd lie if I were you... You did spot those ants and it's what prompted you to capture such a stunning scene. :-D
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:58 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:21 pm
That's up to the eye of the artist and story wanted I think, I will say had you not mentioned the odd fellow up top I would have mistaken him for browned petal edges...I find the image enjoyable as is...
Thanks Frank. It seems I even take busy close up shots..

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:00 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:50 pm
Love it the way it is Minnie. Nice and sharp for my eyes.

All critter great and small out for a picnic and a stroll.

Matt
Thanks Matt. I am still learning about the compromises to be made in close up stuff.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:06 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:48 pm
with all the traffic I find this pretty interesting. You might play with white frame within image kind of things if you wanted to highlight the action, but as you have it is plenty cool. The yellows and greens look super good. I like the detail of the old center piece/crown, the spider I could do without (he is hard to get nice without him being the focal point, but with the army on the march, they steal the show..
As everyone knows, I'm prone to keep everything in the frame even when I shouldn't. I agree he may not be clear enough and if he were they wouldn't be, so everything is a bit compromised. I don't think it's a spider, I've just called them OtherBugs. I've seen what I think is the same ones on these very same flowers (same type, same location), and I've never been able to identify them.. I think this is a more mature version from 2 summers ago.
Attachments
otherbug (1 of 1).jpg

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:08 pm

Duck wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:55 am
Considering there is som much activity going on, this presentation works well. Of course with the finer detail of the ants this is not an image you can appreciate on a small scale. It calls to be big. I particularly love how the line of ants are silhouetted along the stem against the light green of the background. Very well captured but I'd lie if I were you... You did spot those ants and it's what prompted you to capture such a stunning scene. :-D
Thanks Duck. You're right, this isn't really a photo for close study. Thanks for giving me permission to think of it as a whole rather than focusing on its parts, to my frustration.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:23 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:06 pm
As everyone knows, I'm prone to keep everything in the frame even when I shouldn't. I agree he may not be clear enough and if he were they wouldn't be, so everything is a bit compromised. I don't think it's a spider, I've just called them OtherBugs. I've seen what I think is the same ones on these very same flowers (same type, same location), and I've never been able to identify them.. I think this is a more mature version from 2 summers ago.
I am pretty sure that whatcha got there is a Acanthocephala declivis nymph, a nymph of the Coreidae, or Leaf-footed Bugs. They are harmless to humans, mostly feed on plants. http://www.austinbug.com/coreidae.html Your bug is the 5th picture down, or you can see lots of them here: https://www.google.com/search?q=Acantho ... 96&bih=703
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|