Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Boy crossing creek

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu May 31, 2018 5:16 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 12:18 pm
definitely you made a change. Now we need to start over and figure out how to duplicate the layer (if you have not done this yet). And what tool did you use? Where you able to use the healing brush? Or did you paint the changes in with a soft round brush? Show me a shot of your photoshop screen again with the layers on it (as you did before).

edit -- you say you used your pen as a brush -- by this I am assuming you mean you used the Wacom tablet pen and had the brush tool selected?
Yes, Piet, I believe I used the healing brush and manipulated it with the Wacom pen. Here's what I believe is the last screen before I sent you the image.

Now to duplicate the layer. I suspect I click on an icon or double click next to the layer I want to duplicate, no? I think that was what was mentioned in a tutorial. But I will wait. Ready when you are. Thanks again. Matt
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-05-31 at 1.07.05 PM.png
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by PietFrancke » Thu May 31, 2018 6:24 pm

ok -- getting there!
1) Easy way to see changes, click the eyeball on the top layer to hide and display that layer!
2) Let's figure out the healing brush - did you get that to work or did you have a different brush selected?

When using the healing brush, you must first select the area that you wish to steal from - you do this by holding the Alt key and clicking on your image in the spot that you wish the "heal" to look like. (somewhere upper left in your image for example.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu May 31, 2018 6:25 pm

minniev wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:07 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 12:18 pm
definitely you made a change. Now we need to start over and figure out how to duplicate the layer (if you have not done this yet). And what tool did you use? Where you able to use the healing brush? Or did you paint the changes in with a soft round brush? Show me a shot of your photoshop screen again with the layers on it (as you did before).

edit -- you say you used your pen as a brush -- by this I am assuming you mean you used the Wacom tablet pen and had the brush tool selected?
I'm still watching with interest. I'm wondering if Matt is getting off of his layers. That was one of my biggest problems as an early PS beginner. Making sure the layer I wanted was active and the proper icon within that layer selected (image vs mask for instance). Simple things like making sure the right icon is highlighted for the layer, the tool, etc. Many of our problems with PS are caused by faulty selection.
I still do that... can't cound the times I destroyed a layer by editing over on top of it thinking I was somewhere else!!!!

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu May 31, 2018 6:37 pm

I like it both ways, maybe leaning just a tad more toward Piet's but I also thought the original was fine. It's the kid. The placement of the kid is perfect compositionally, the sun reflection separates him so you see him immediately, and he is the fulcrum of the entire picture. Of course, Matt, you shoot with a Monochrom, but wonder had I made it, in color of course, would I have had sense enough to convert it? I think this scene is absolutely made for B&W. I suspect it would be far less successful in color. Really well done! (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu May 31, 2018 8:05 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 6:37 pm
I like it both ways, maybe leaning just a tad more toward Piet's but I also thought the original was fine. It's the kid. The placement of the kid is perfect compositionally, the sun reflection separates him so you see him immediately, and he is the fulcrum of the entire picture. Of course, Matt, you shoot with a Monochrom, but wonder had I made it, in color of course, would I have had sense enough to convert it? I think this scene is absolutely made for B&W. I suspect it would be far less successful in color. Really well done! (OK)
Thanks Chuck. As I mentioned to Minnie, I saw the family on the opposite bank and watched the boy run away from them toward the creek. So I waited for the moment and was lucky. I took several but this was the only on that I like. I want, with Piet's help and direction, to improve it to the point where I can have it printed. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu May 31, 2018 9:45 pm

Piet,
I had to use the mouse, I couldn't figure out how to do the painting with the healing brush tool and the pen. No tutorials helped. I noticed that the reference point kept moving as I brushed with the mouse and had to be careful not to go over the edge with the reference point. It copied the edge of the screen when I did. Here's a shot of the last stage. Matt
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-05-31 at 5.39.42 PM.png
Matt Quinn

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu May 31, 2018 11:02 pm

Love those layers Matt - Always a good idea to work on a new layer so that when you screw something up, all you have to do is delete it and do more. When you like what you have you can always merge the layers back together (under the layer menu).

I wish I could help you with the pen, I am thinking that some button must be in a pressed state or something. My pen works fine and I am liking it more and more compared to the mouse.

About the reference point moving... you can always select a new reference point by alt-clicking - and it is a good practice to do so, because otherwise you end up copying a larger area in total instead of mixing things up. Also, when doing this kind of thing, the opacity of the tool can be changed which lets small changes be introduced a little at a time. And also, you can see on the layer itself, that it has an opacity button.

Before we move on, I want you to do two things. (I want to make sure you see these features and know how to use them).

On your top layer...
1) click the eyeball to the left of the layer on and off a few times so that you can see the before and after versions of your work.
2) change the opacity of your new layer to 10 percent. Then change it to 50 percent, then change it to 80 percent.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:57 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:34 pm
Matt, I messed with the trouble area and did the following...

Nice job maintaining the sun's specularity in the clouds. Well done.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:59 pm

Duck wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:57 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:34 pm
Matt, I messed with the trouble area and did the following...

Nice job maintaining the sun's specularity in the clouds. Well done.
Thanks Duck. Matt
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:21 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 11:22 am
All suggestions welcome. From last summer at Paines Creek Beach, Cape Cod. Don't know what to do about the hot spot in the water and the white teddy bear and cross in the sky. Thanks. Matt
I like large images with little surprises! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"