― Artistic Expression ShowcaseStorm

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Storm

Post by PietFrancke » Sun May 27, 2018 11:27 pm

took three shots for focus stacking purposes of a miniature that I painted years ago. I created diffusion by surrounding the miniature with paper towels, shined a lamp at them, and took five second exposures.

I then created a grey scale version of the focus stacked images and following the artgerm youTube tutorial on how to colororize a grey scale image I colored the hero figure. (The colors of the two background men were brought back in from the original. I then added the background from a cloud shot from last week.

And then standard fooling around with topaz impressions and nik.
Storms.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Mon May 28, 2018 12:48 am

Your creativity so often puts me to shame. I don't have a clue how to give you feedback on this one except to say I'm amazed, and to ask you if sometime when you're doing one of these things, you might photograph the set up and share it. I can't imagine what you are talking about with those paper towels.

And I don't know a thing about the colorizing of a grayscale figure. You've left me behind in your journey to the next artistic galaxy. But I do like this very much.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon May 28, 2018 1:19 am

minniev wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 12:48 am
Your creativity so often puts me to shame. I don't have a clue how to give you feedback on this one except to say I'm amazed, and to ask you if sometime when you're doing one of these things, you might photograph the set up and share it. I can't imagine what you are talking about with those paper towels.

And I don't know a thing about the colorizing of a grayscale figure. You've left me behind in your journey to the next artistic galaxy. But I do like this very much.
<blush>, a lucky hit Minnie. Here is the setup - no big deal.
storm setup.jpg
Now, listen. All I did was follow a tutorial (the painting part). Google Artgerm. He has a you-tube (sp) that explains how he uses a gradient to control his color layer. I feel that his technique is critical to you, to me, to Linda, to anyone who wants to produce beautiful colors on landscapes, foggy scenes, etc. You need to watch his you-tube - I am sure that the technique he presents would work on any type of image (not just grey scale). It is worth an hour to watch the first time, and then another hour to make it sink in.

Vivid, beautiful, easy to produce color at your finger tips!!!!

edit - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB9Jui9wQNg

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Mon May 28, 2018 11:35 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 1:19 am
minniev wrote:

storm setup.jpg

Now, listen. All I did was follow a tutorial (the painting part). Google Artgerm. He has a you-tube (sp) that explains how he uses a gradient to control his color layer. I feel that his technique is critical to you, to me, to Linda, to anyone who wants to produce beautiful colors on landscapes, foggy scenes, etc. You need to watch his you-tube - I am sure that the technique he presents would work on any type of image (not just grey scale). It is worth an hour to watch the first time, and then another hour to make it sink in.

Oh my. My admiration increases after seeing the set up and especially after watching the tutorial. He is very talented. But that you could (a) understand him and (b) follow the steps is dizzyingly impressive. I’ll try again on a bigger screen and see. I got a few basics with brushes and blending modes but the gradient map and all those different layers and colors flew over my head like a flock of geese.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Mon May 28, 2018 11:42 am

Very creative with excellent results Piet !!! More amazing is seeing how it was made. Love the dramatic sky and overall scene.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon May 28, 2018 12:14 pm

davechinn wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 11:42 am
Very creative with excellent results Piet !!! More amazing is seeing how it was made. Love the dramatic sky and overall scene.
Dave
thanks Dave - it was a lot of fun. You helped draw me into this mess you know!!!

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon May 28, 2018 12:30 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 11:35 am
PietFrancke wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 1:19 am
minniev wrote:

storm setup.jpg

Oh my. My admiration increases after seeing the set up and especially after watching the tutorial. He is very talented. But that you could (a) understand him and (b) follow the steps is dizzyingly impressive. I’ll try again on a bigger screen and see. I got a few basics with brushes and blending modes but the gradient map and all those different layers and colors flew over my head like a flock of geese.
We pull together Min... here are some notes I took that might help make some heads and tails of it. Not all from that video, but you will see the concept.

Layer 9] Copy of background layer set to color mode with lowered opacity and masked to bring back some colors from the original
Layer 8] Screen layer (for bounce light) - redirected light bouncing from the surrounding environment. Steal colors from background and add to figures.
Layer 7] screen, add some cool color to the shade side of the object
Layer 6] screen, add some warm color to the sunny side of the subject
Layer 5] Multiply layer (to deepen any shadows that want drama)
Layer 4] Overlay layer (hit the highlights to brighten them up
Layer 3] Color layer (double clicked to add blending parameters for the layer underneath)
Layer 2] Gradient Map - setting base colors. Black on left, blue/purple at 70 percent mark, light tan at 30 percent mark, white on right. (the purpose of this layer is to help the above color layer. Brights will be warmer automatically, and darks will be cooler automatically)
Layer 1] Grey scale layer to help the overlay and color layer.
Background Layer] Prepared image for painting

mikec
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by mikec » Mon May 28, 2018 4:04 pm

I am impressed no end to the creativity you show. Thanks for the links.
Mike C
Enjoying the sun and sea in Miami, FL

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon May 28, 2018 4:39 pm

mikec wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 4:04 pm
I am impressed no end to the creativity you show. Thanks for the links.
thanks Mike, you are welcome about the links. Learning is endless, and so is practice and experimentation. I like the Edison quote about finding 10,000 ways that don't work. And when something Does work, so much the better!

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon May 28, 2018 6:11 pm

Stunning Piet. Working on a haiku at the moment; will post if it births. Curious, two of the three are left handed. Matt.
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin