"Don't sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them." —Madam C.J. Walker

― Scapes CritiqueBatching Plant

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Batching Plant

Post by Psjunkie » Sun May 20, 2018 12:43 am

Wondering if the processing gives this image enough impact to keep the viewer looking for at least a bit more than a glance.....and of course any other comments are welcomed..
Attachments
20180221FGS_3934-Batching_Plant.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev » Sun May 20, 2018 12:51 am

Frank, I love it. What did you do here? And was there anything about it that didn't turn out as you wanted? It reminds me of Russell Borad's wonderful Prairie Sentinel series, so of course I'm wanting to slap textures and clipping masks onto it, but that's just because I like his series so much. Or brush back in some detail like I do with industrial shots. But this is not Russ's or mine, it is yours. Yours is great. The composition is so strong with all that beautiful geometry - cylindars and triangles leading left to right, up and down.

It should be printed on canvas. You probably ought to enhance contrast before you do that, canvas needs that, but it'll look great!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Psjunkie » Sun May 20, 2018 12:58 am

Well I processed normally, then used that action which I also like and decided to back it down to what I presented....
Attachments
20180221FGS_3934-Edit.jpg
20180221FGS_3934-Edit-Edit-2.jpg

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun May 20, 2018 1:05 am

I really like that action on this industrial landscape - personal preference... I like it rough and wild instead of smooth and slick. Love the color play and the hard edges on the clouds. But your super composition is what makes it work. Love that diagonal line and the windy path that leads us in past the heavy machines and piles or rock.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Psjunkie » Sun May 20, 2018 1:10 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 1:05 am
I like it rough and wild instead of smooth and slick. But your super composition is what makes it work.
I like it best as well but thought maybe everyone was tired of my gimmicky action....and thank you Piet. While I do like the original it just seemed to blah..

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun May 20, 2018 1:35 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 1:10 am
PietFrancke wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 1:05 am
I like it rough and wild instead of smooth and slick. But your super composition is what makes it work.
I like it best as well but thought maybe everyone was tired of my gimmicky action....and thank you Piet. While I do like the original it just seemed to blah..
One thing you could do that would be fun is run the action and take the results, but then using a blend mode, just keep the colors. I love how that action turns grey into baby blue for instance...

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Psjunkie » Sun May 20, 2018 1:41 am

tis a color sample from my Baby Blue Eyes Piet............Bahaha, thank you for the idea....

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun May 20, 2018 1:55 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 1:41 am
tis a color sample from my Baby Blue Eyes Piet............Bahaha, thank you for the idea....
LOL - careful with that eye-dropper tool!

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sun May 20, 2018 2:42 am

On the topic of illustrative Photoshop actions, elsewhere I have discussed removing distractions in order to enhance the subject. I took the liberty of using your original and making some edits to it for you to consider applying prior to running that action. While looking at the results I find that there are a few things that seem off as an illustration. For one, the bright red object in the lower left doesn't read wll. Clearly it's some form of machine, but what kind? A dump truck? Doesn't look like a dump truck... Something like this would cause me to really think on what to do with it. To me, it adds nothing to the image, it doesn't support the theme of the subject and it just pulls the viewer's eye away. My solution would be to remove it. The same thing for that square frame thingy (since I can't tell what it is either). I used the patch tool and did a quick and dirty content aware patch. As the action removes detail the patch does not have to be perfect.

The second thing I noticed is that the conveyor, which features prominently in the composition, sits to tight to the top of the frame. A little more air and a little less ground would place it in a more prominent position. Again, nothing fancy, I duplicated the layer, did a quick selection of the top section and pushed it down behind the foreground. This reduced the amount of road and gave me some head room. I then did a content aware fill for the missing sky and it's ready to go. Here's a side by side.
Batching Plant.jpg
Before and after modification
Look closely and you'll see where I made some of my selections. While this would never hold up to inspection as a photo, those imperfections will be lost after the action is rendered.

Hope this gives you something to mull over. ;)
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Psjunkie » Sun May 20, 2018 2:57 am

How about posting your version normal size...I like to open in tabs or download, preview, and toggle, easier to mull over for my feeble brain......and eyesight