"Don't sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them." —Madam C.J. Walker

Flowers & Plants CritiqueFINALLY! SPRING!

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

FINALLY! SPRING!

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:57 pm

Ya shoulda seen me doing these. I have a poor man's macro, a couple of very inexpensive extension tubes, 10 and 16 mm. These were all made with my shorter zoom on the 16 mm tube, hand held (I know, I know), actually one hand held (I know, I know) because the free hand was steadying the branches in each case, just out of frame. Even so there was a certain amount of spray 'n' pray on account these are all about 3 or 4 times life size (I know, I know) so being reliant entirely on 1/250-second the image in the finder, well, the joint was jumpin'. Most were made around f/5.6 with my usual "floating" ISO, but there was thin overcast so the light was just about right for stuff like this. Obviously it would have been better to have had a tripod and a smaller aperture but I think for hand-held they're not bad?
Attachments
DSC02805.EMlr.jpg
There was hardly anything that Daphne loved more than redbud.
DSC02812.EMlr.jpg
Anybody know what this is? It's a large , dense shrub.
DSC02841.EMlr.jpg
Anybody know what this is? It's the same large , dense shrub.
DSC02875.EMlr.jpg
This is a bud from a shrub in front of our house. No idea what it is.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:08 pm

I know, I know, you know...of the group #2 for me.....

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:18 pm

nice job Chuck, good weather is on it's way!

mikec
Mentoris Inceptor
Mentoris Inceptor
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by mikec » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:54 pm

Darn good for being hand held. A lot better than I could do.
Mike C
Enjoying the sun and sea in Miami, FL

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:26 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:57 pm
Ya shoulda seen me doing these. I have a poor man's macro, a couple of very inexpensive extension tubes, 10 and 16 mm. These were all made with my shorter zoom on the 16 mm tube, hand held (I know, I know), actually one hand held (I know, I know) because the free hand was steadying the branches in each case, just out of frame. Even so there was a certain amount of spray 'n' pray on account these are all about 3 or 4 times life size (I know, I know) so being reliant entirely on 1/250-second the image in the finder, well, the joint was jumpin'. Most were made around f/5.6 with my usual "floating" ISO, but there was thin overcast so the light was just about right for stuff like this. Obviously it would have been better to have had a tripod and a smaller aperture but I think for hand-held they're not bad?
These are nice. Of course I never seem to have a tripod when I need it, so I sympathize. You got good detail anyway, and sweet spring color. The texture addict in me wants to encourage you to try them. This kind of flower photo is so fun with textures.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed May 02, 2018 12:16 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:08 pm
I know, I know, you know...of the group #2 for me.....
Thank you Frank! I am partial to that one also.
PietFrancke wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:18 pm
nice job Chuck, good weather is on it's way!
Thanks Piet. At this point we are grateful if the overnight temps stay above freezing. :D
mikec wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:54 pm
Darn good for being hand held. A lot better than I could do.
Thanks Mike, but I seriously doubt that. I just had the shutter cranked to 1/250 I think, but the downside was no depth of field. (?)
minniev wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:26 pm
These are nice. Of course I never seem to have a tripod when I need it, so I sympathize. You got good detail anyway, and sweet spring color. The texture addict in me wants to encourage you to try them. This kind of flower photo is so fun with textures.
I want to try textures! Give me some tips? Regarding tripods, they are a royal pain in the tuchus. In this case what I really needed was a monopod. As it happens I have a super cheap ($20 bucks?) plastic tripod that has a center column that pulls out and doubles as a monopod, but of course if I don't the tripod with me then I don't have the monopod neither. (N) I always have my "stringpod" but I didn't think to use it, and I still wouldn't have been able to stop down. But using the extension tube I had such high magnification that the only way I could focus at all was moving the whole camera, then cracking off a burst of 3 hoping for one that was sharp. :D A monopod would have been perfect for that technique.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed May 02, 2018 2:07 am

Hand-held? Amazing. I can't even get sharp photos with a tripod. Well done. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:24 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:57 pm
Poor-mans or not, these are wonderful! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:53 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 2:07 am
Hand-held? Amazing. I can't even get sharp photos with a tripod. Well done. Matt
Gee I didn't see this post for a long time, but thanks Matt. Quite honestly I often shoot bursts on these and pick the sharp(est). If nothing passes muster then no one ever sees it. :|
St3v3M wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:24 pm
Poor-mans or not, these are wonderful! S-
Thanks, Steve. :thumbup:

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:29 pm

Thanks Chuck. I will try using the burst approach and follow your lead about posting. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin