"Whatever you do, be so good they can't ignore you." —Candy Crowley

― Artistic Expression Critique'Creative Clouds'

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Posts: 730
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: 'Creative Clouds'

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:37 pm

davechinn wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:41 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:44 pm
I saw miss Mitchell right away, the plane perhaps 10 seconds later. I like the color and the mood - the plane does not look like it is flying however, unless perhaps as a ghost ship. For me the bright splash of light on top works well, but the lower clouds leave you confused - you know the clouds can't be behind the plane. Perhaps a smaller version of the plane in similar light and clouds would work (if realism flight was your goal).

Piet, you touched on something of my concern as well. The lower clouds was one of my main issues, but decided to leave as is, for now, but will make some corrections. A ghost ship never came to mind, but do see and agree. I am a little confused though, “you know the clouds can’t be behind the plane”. I don’t understand why they can’t.

I understand your suggestion of maybe a smaller version of the plane and I may make that attempt. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
Dave
I spoke poorly, but you understood. The clouds look like they Would be behind the plane, but unless the plane is transparent, you would not be able to see the clouds behind the plane - better way to say it - "clouds behind the plane would not be visible"

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Posts: 2614
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:03 pm

This is interesting, and your work is technically sound, but I'm not quite convinced by the clouds though I honestly can't tell you why. It looks a little too much like ectoplasm from Ghostbusters. Maybe pulling back some on the clouds' opacity? I'm not sure... The current approach does make it look spooky, though, like something that appeared in the Bermuda triangle. Be sure to show us new iterations as they arise.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1092
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by davechinn » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:40 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:37 pm
davechinn wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:41 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:44 pm
I saw miss Mitchell right away, the plane perhaps 10 seconds later. I like the color and the mood - the plane does not look like it is flying however, unless perhaps as a ghost ship. For me the bright splash of light on top works well, but the lower clouds leave you confused - you know the clouds can't be behind the plane. Perhaps a smaller version of the plane in similar light and clouds would work (if realism flight was your goal).

Piet, you touched on something of my concern as well. The lower clouds was one of my main issues, but decided to leave as is, for now, but will make some corrections. A ghost ship never came to mind, but do see and agree. I am a little confused though, “you know the clouds can’t be behind the plane”. I don’t understand why they can’t.

I understand your suggestion of maybe a smaller version of the plane and I may make that attempt. Thanks for the comments and suggestions.
Dave
I spoke poorly, but you understood. The clouds look like they Would be behind the plane, but unless the plane is transparent, you would not be able to see the clouds behind the plane - better way to say it - "clouds behind the plane would not be visible"


Thanks for the clarification Piet !!!
Dave

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1092
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by davechinn » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:55 pm

minniev wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:03 pm
This is interesting, and your work is technically sound, but I'm not quite convinced by the clouds though I honestly can't tell you why. It looks a little too much like ectoplasm from Ghostbusters. Maybe pulling back some on the clouds' opacity? I'm not sure... The current approach does make it look spooky, though, like something that appeared in the Bermuda triangle. Be sure to show us new iterations as they arise.


Thanks Minnie. After several days of back and forth viewing, I have decided that I'm not totally convinced either. Although, I have not gone back to make any adjustments and changes, I have started another version and may have more coming because I have a variety of B-25 images to work with. This one I just finished is the B-25 Devil Dog. I applied a couple of textured layers for a slight grunge feel. https://www.devildogsquadron.com/
Dave
Attachments
Devil Dog DEC_8431w.jpg
'Devil Dog'

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:25 pm

davechinn wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:55 pm
... This one I just finished is the B-25 Devil Dog. I applied a couple of textured layers for a slight grunge feel. https://www.devildogsquadron.com/
Dave
Very eye-catching, Dave. A lot of sense of the times and drama.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1092
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by davechinn » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:48 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:25 pm
davechinn wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:55 pm
... This one I just finished is the B-25 Devil Dog. I applied a couple of textured layers for a slight grunge feel. https://www.devildogsquadron.com/
Dave
Very eye-catching, Dave. A lot of sense of the times and drama.


Thank you Linda. Since I have a variety of B-25 bombers, I may consider working on a few more and adding to this thread. Keeps me focused with old to possibly new ideas. I appreciate your interest.
Dave

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 3631
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by St3v3M » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:02 am

You're on the right track but I'd like to offer some suggestions.

The top clouds work well giving the sense of them flying over the plane but unless you have an invisible plane the bottom clouds couldn't possibly look like that. You put the clouds in front of the plane, these need to be behind the plane. Look at it again. And do I see stars behind the woman? Is that the biggest window ever or is it an invisible plane? Remove the puffy clouds, leave the wisps, and make the plane the front object. Beyond that, there's my personal choice which would be to put some city lights under it giving it a sense of height reinforcing the feeling that it's flying. I hope it helps! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests