Animals Critique'Win-Place-Show'

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'Win-Place-Show'

Post by davechinn » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:09 pm

This is an image taken at Keeneland horse racetrack in Lexington, Ky this past October. While, as always, experimenting and in unknown territory with this type of post processing. I'm just curious to any thoughts or ideas anyone would have. I just kinda dibbled and dabbled as I went along with this one. I did add a more cloudy sky along with a textured layer to give it a canvas look and feel, but is sort of subtle and then again, maybe not. Is it appealing or should I just remain on the dark side of moody?
Attachments
Win-Place-Show DEC_3959w.jpg
'Win-Place-Show'
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:30 pm

I find it artistic and very well done Mr. Chinn....

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:46 pm

I like it a lot, Dave. There's a very visually pleasing balance between detailed elements and emptier spaces, the clouds seem appropriately menacing for the flags flying straight out, and I like that tactile texture look. I would also be interested in a slightly less busy version without the camera view/big screen on back right, though not sure what you'd do with that space if remove.

As for "remain on dark side of moody," you should do what appeals most to you, while experimenting outside your comfort zone when the mood strikes! :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:00 pm

Now that is wonderful Dave. I've never thought of a way to go artistic with horse racing, and the documentary shots aren't really that interesting to me. You've solved it! If you can recreate your wayward journey I'd love to know what you did. I think you have crept up on some of the "look" that rborud gets from his industrials in some instances. it's beautiful, it's art - a mixture of watercolor and engraving, it's something I'd want on my wall. I'm most curious to know what you did here.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:36 am

I like the high key bright aspect of it, I don't care for the greens in the back ground, they steal my eye to much from the horses crossing. The flags work well.

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:33 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:30 pm
I find it artistic and very well done Mr. Chinn....

Thanks Frank !!! As I mentioned, new territory and experimentation. It is not yet mastered and most likely won't ever be, but it was fun in the process. Glad to see you back and hope all is well.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:40 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:46 pm
I like it a lot, Dave. There's a very visually pleasing balance between detailed elements and emptier spaces, the clouds seem appropriately menacing for the flags flying straight out, and I like that tactile texture look. I would also be interested in a slightly less busy version without the camera view/big screen on back right, though not sure what you'd do with that space if remove.

As for "remain on dark side of moody," you should do what appeals most to you, while experimenting outside your comfort zone when the mood strikes! :)

Thanks Linda !!! Glad that you like it and I appreciate your detailed thoughts. I can understand your feelings with the big screen, but I felt since it was part of the scene and was something rather unique to my eye at least, I decided to not make matters worse for myself. Especially, since the post processing was my main focus of attention at the time. Although, who knows, something could be coming at a later date with this image.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:56 pm

minniev wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:00 pm
Now that is wonderful Dave. I've never thought of a way to go artistic with horse racing, and the documentary shots aren't really that interesting to me. You've solved it! If you can recreate your wayward journey I'd love to know what you did. I think you have crept up on some of the "look" that rborud gets from his industrials in some instances. it's beautiful, it's art - a mixture of watercolor and engraving, it's something I'd want on my wall. I'm most curious to know what you did here.

Thanks Minnie !!! Glad that this is appealing to you. I agree with you, artistic doesn't seem to go well with horse racing. However, for some reason the composition with this one seems to work with an artistic approach. I will go back and retrace my steps of familiarity and get back to you, with hopefully most of what my steps were.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:10 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:36 am
I like the high key bright aspect of it, I don't care for the greens in the back ground, they steal my eye to much from the horses crossing. The flags work well.
Thanks Piet !!! Glad you like the high key approach. As one who prefers the dark side, high key bright aspect is not totally new to me, just something I rarely ventured into. Sorry the greens is a distraction of dislikes for you. They do keep the grounds well maintained for such beauty. I felt I shouldn't disturb the area much. I could have gone B&W, but since I was venturing into new territory B&W was out of the question. I appreciate your honesty, it opens my eyes just a little bit wider for clearer vision.
Dave

David Alan Harvey

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:37 pm

I like it very much! Very! Piet could be right about the greens, though. Their saturation wouldn't be hard to reduce. (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|