― Artistic Expression CritiqueThe Road

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

The Road

Post by LindaShorey » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:44 pm

Inspired by Mother Nature's light at the moment of shooting, I went further :)

1. Texture in sky - a problem?
2. Wet road, should I clone out those spots?
3. Am I stuck in that 'tween spot again, not reality but not far enough artsy fartsy?
Other feedback welcomed!
Attachments
1 P1050164-1a.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:54 pm

It's a great composition, and would work well in color or monochrome. I love the textured look of the sky, but am not crazy about the color, it seems like there is too much uniformity of color with the clouds and land, too much of a good thing. I think there's ways to work with it via masking/blending to get some extra contrast and variation. But if ya want it this way, keep it this way! I have some that I've taken for extended play, grown attached to, and will keep despite all. I worked on one day that went too far, and may post it!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:42 pm

I like this shot a lot. I like the bright hills contrasting with the dark fore ground. I like how the road leads the eye to the ridge line on the hills. Texture in the clouds hurts on the left side (I think anyway). The road looks and feels wet, I think it adds to the composition to remain so. Perhaps brighten the clouds on the right a hair more (since the eye follows the ridge to them).

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:18 pm

minniev wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:54 pm
It's a great composition, and would work well in color or monochrome. I love the textured look of the sky, but am not crazy about the color, it seems like there is too much uniformity of color with the clouds and land, too much of a good thing. I think there's ways to work with it via masking/blending to get some extra contrast and variation. But if ya want it this way, keep it this way! I have some that I've taken for extended play, grown attached to, and will keep despite all. I worked on one day that went too far, and may post it!
Excellent food for thought re the color uniformity. I'll try adjusting or doing another with that in mind. Many thanks, Minnie! Yes, I think we all have special places in our hearts for certain "extended play" photos :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:19 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:42 pm
I like this shot a lot. I like the bright hills contrasting with the dark fore ground. I like how the road leads the eye to the ridge line on the hills. Texture in the clouds hurts on the left side (I think anyway). The road looks and feels wet, I think it adds to the composition to remain so. Perhaps brighten the clouds on the right a hair more (since the eye follows the ridge to them).
Thanks so much for your comments and suggestions, Piet! Glad you enjoyed the view; it's worth exploring a bit more with the edit tools methinks.

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:59 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:44 pm
Inspired by Mother Nature's light at the moment of shooting, I went further :)

1. Texture in sky - a problem?
2. Wet road, should I clone out those spots?
3. Am I stuck in that 'tween spot again, not reality but not far enough artsy fartsy?
Other feedback welcomed!

Linda, I love the composition and where it gets interesting for me is when the road is suddenly out of site over the hill. I am, however, having difficulty getting use to the color tone and if it were mine I would convert to B&W. The wet road spots does not bother me and in fact, adds interest to the scene. Textured sky, not a problem for me. Over all though, a well composed image that just needs some polishing up some, IMO. Bottom line is, it's your image, I can accept it as you have presented it.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:30 pm

davechinn wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:59 pm
Linda, I love the composition and where it gets interesting for me is when the road is suddenly out of site over the hill. I am, however, having difficulty getting use to the color tone and if it were mine I would convert to B&W. The wet road spots does not bother me and in fact, adds interest to the scene. Textured sky, not a problem for me. Over all though, a well composed image that just needs some polishing up some, IMO. Bottom line is, it's your image, I can accept it as you have presented it.
Dave
Thank you very much, Dave! I was curious about b&w (Minnie mentioned also), so here is one version. It doesn't look quite as soft when click and let it pop out in new window. I tried harsher (grungier, lol) and didn't care for. I don't have a good sense of where to take this in b&w since the morning golden light and clearing fog was why I stopped. But it was a good exercise! (note I did not crop out the closest pole with transformers on right side).

I also wanted to try separating the colors more so have included another go without textures, but with a Topaz pre-set and adjustments. I am trying Topaz Textures + downloaded their free "Studio" which has a bunch of fascinating pre-sets. Nik is on again/off again with my new PS Elements, so I'm alternately have great fun exploring the new stuff vs. being frustrated with the glitches. Just another day in pp playland!
Attachments
1 P1050164 bw2.jpg
1 P1050164 new color sl crop.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:59 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:30 pm
davechinn wrote:
Dave
Thank you very much, Dave! I was curious about b&w (Minnie mentioned also), so here is one version. It doesn't look quite as soft when click and let it pop out in new window. I tried harsher (grungier, lol) and didn't care for. I don't have a good sense of where to take this in b&w since the morning golden light and clearing fog was why I stopped. But it was a good exercise! (note I did not crop out the closest pole with transformers on right side).

I also wanted to try separating the colors more so have included another go without textures, but with a Topaz pre-set and adjustments. I am trying Topaz Textures + downloaded their free "Studio" which has a bunch of fascinating pre-sets. Nik is on again/off again with my new PS Elements, so I'm alternately have great fun exploring the new stuff vs. being frustrated with the glitches. Just another day in pp playland!

I like these versions - both appeal more to me than the yellow cloud one. If you wanted more drama in the sky you could manage that with masking to isolate it to the sky, and/or use a texture just isolated to the sky to contribute more. but they are very nice as they are, with that same strong composition being the main attraction. (And yes, Studio has some interesting stuff, I just haven't learned how to use it properly).
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:57 pm

Minnie, thanks so much for taking a look at the re-do's. They held up overnight for me, meaning this morning with fresh eyes I'm still liking them :)

Learning new software does take time and interest and I definitely have to be "in the mood. "

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:31 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:30 pm
davechinn wrote:
Dave

Linda, the B&W and your latest version is more pleasing to my eye. I think the difference is the color separation of the sky between to the two color versions is what does it for me. If that makes sense. Although, B&W is always a top choice in most cases for me.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey