"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

Animals Showcasemacro lens at bird feeder

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

macro lens at bird feeder

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:31 pm

So today I finally cleaned the kitchen window, where we have a bird feeder attached to the house. I tried using a 100mm Macro lens and was able to be about 18 inches away from the birds. I am getting a little bit of reflection from the glass, but that might change depending on the sun's direction or other things that I might be able to manage. The birds are a little skittish, but there are possibilities here...
cardinalS.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:48 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:31 pm
So today I finally cleaned the kitchen window, where we have a bird feeder attached to the house. I tried using a 100mm Macro lens and was able to be about 18 inches away from the birds. I am getting a little bit of reflection from the glass, but that might change depending on the sun's direction or other things that I might be able to manage. The birds are a little skittish, but there are possibilities here...

cardinalS.jpg
Oh my, he is eating out of my hand! Yes, this is gonna be fun for you and for us too!

I don't see evidence of reflection, but I'm on the old laptop so my screen isn't the best. You could try a polarizer? I've had some luck cutting down on reflections when taking photos out the windows of buses, trains, etc.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:58 pm

minniev wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:48 pm
PietFrancke wrote:

cardinalS.jpg
Oh my, he is eating out of my hand! Yes, this is gonna be fun for you and for us too!

I don't see evidence of reflection, but I'm on the old laptop so my screen isn't the best. You could try a polarizer? I've had some luck cutting down on reflections when taking photos out the windows of buses, trains, etc.
good idea on the polarizer - I was thinking of hanging/draping something black over the window with a hole cut into it. Might be too much trouble, and will get tired of looking at bird seed falling out of their mouths. But then I can move on to worms, or perhaps even snakes to bring in a hawk!! LOL

The other day a flock of grackles descended on the feeder, they were super skittish, but the drape thing might help with that. And I may have to figure out a way to put a branch up there for better shots (you will always know it is a birdfeeder because of the seed in the mouth though..) But a branch, stick will do wonders. Gives them a place to sit and look around too.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:10 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:58 pm

good idea on the polarizer - I was thinking of hanging/draping something black over the window with a hole cut into it. Might be too much trouble, and will get tired of looking at bird seed falling out of their mouths. But then I can move on to worms, or perhaps even snakes to bring in a hawk!! LOL

The other day a flock of grackles descended on the feeder, they were super skittish, but the drape thing might help with that. And I may have to figure out a way to put a branch up there for better shots (you will always know it is a birdfeeder because of the seed in the mouth though..) But a branch, stick will do wonders. Gives them a place to sit and look around too.
Have you ever tried hand-feeding them? It is a major thrill.

You're right to offer accoutrements that they will find pleasing. Even though I never try photographing them, birds own my back patio. There is mess of stuff for their pleasure, I try something and if they like it, they keep it. They are still having a blast with the Christmas tree, and the pine cone feeders the grandsons made.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:13 pm

minniev wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:10 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:58 pm

Have you ever tried hand-feeding them? It is a major thrill.

You're right to offer accoutrements that they will find pleasing. Even though I never try photographing them, birds own my back patio. There is mess of stuff for their pleasure, I try something and if they like it, they keep it. They are still having a blast with the Christmas tree, and the pine cone feeders the grandsons made.
hand feeding would be wonderful (unless they are sea gulls!). Would take a lot of patience I imagine..

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:02 am

I see no evidence of a reflection in this shot. Do you mean on the day lit side or your side, in which case a black drape behind you should take care of it. If you exclude all light from behind you it would have the added benefit that the birds would have a hard time seeing you through the reflection on their side. What I predictably love about this is shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrppp!!! It is one thing that might ultimately cause me to get a Big Boy camera and a 100 macro. I confess that lately I have been salivating over mirrorless but hesitate for all the reasons that I have stuck for 10 years with compacts: simplicity. I don't want to have to schlep stuff. Been there done that wanna keep it light and simple, but zoom lenses cannot compete with that.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:55 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:02 am
I see no evidence of a reflection in this shot. Do you mean on the day lit side or your side, in which case a black drape behind you should take care of it. If you exclude all light from behind you it would have the added benefit that the birds would have a hard time seeing you through the reflection on their side. What I predictably love about this is shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrppp!!! It is one thing that might ultimately cause me to get a Big Boy camera and a 100 macro. I confess that lately I have been salivating over mirrorless but hesitate for all the reasons that I have stuck for 10 years with compacts: simplicity. I don't want to have to schlep stuff. Been there done that wanna keep it light and simple, but zoom lenses cannot compete with that.
LOL - light from another window causing reflections on my side, but if I pick the right angle or work some kind of drape things will be ok. And definitely two perches will be added - one for me, one for my friends. Truly I didn't think I'd get away with being that close, it will get me some more mileage from my macro lens for sure!

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:40 pm

Very neat, Piet! Looking foward to more as you check out the possibilities with different times of day, and as the birds grow more comfortable. Perches such as branches are will be great assets.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:48 pm

PietFrancke wrote:

cardinalS.jpg
Texture on feathers around eye and on the side are stunning. I find the image a touch too orange-ey; not enough contrast for me. But that was the scene, so that was the scene.

I have some cardinal pix and I will search for them when we get back to MD; we are in MA and I don't have my ehd, and am using a MacBook Pro with LR Mobile but finding the app almost immobile. Molasses moves faster. So, I will wait till we return south before downloading the photos I have taken here over the past week.

The birds are great entertainment and you could spend hours just watching. Some squabble, some wait in line, constant movement. Thanks. Look forward to your next ones. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:05 pm

Hi Linda and Matt - thanks! It is a lot of fun. Matt, you are SO right about that orange. I am afraid that this ultimately is going to lead me to being able to make descent selection and background replacements.