Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: St3v3M's 30 Day: Rule Of Thirds

Post by Charles Haacker » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:40 am

St3v3M wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:08 pm
When I started the Challenge it was to keep me active more than anything, I mean how hard can it be to shoot an image a day and not conform to the standard rule of thirds? I'll say I was in for a rude awakening because even now when I look at something and think I'm nailing it I get back and see all kinds of connections I didn't see before. It's irritating in a way but the important thing is that it's forcing me to look for things I haven't before.

I'm sure it's human nature, but I'm pretty good at composing the shot, as long as I follow the rules, that I seem to have made My Rules. This Challenge has changed that and is forcing me to look at things twice, to really slow down, and dare I say See! I love learning new things, but this Challenge has been a challenge and to be honest I'm thankful for that! S-
As discussed many times, them "rules," all of them, ought'a be called suggestions or guidelines or something. I even tend to get mildly irritated (irrational I know but) when I see a demo of the Mild Suggestion of Thirds where the poster is careful to place his subject with great precision dead on one of the intersections. Huh? Yeeahhh, no. It's not a nut or a bolt. It ain't engineering; it's art. I look for balance. Visual balance. If I am placing a main subject on or near that intersection, I am also looking at the rest of the scene for visual mass to balance it. It's a kind of fulcrum, and the whole scene is a kind of teeter-totter; the thing should appear as if you were to let go of the frame it would stay there (does that make sense?). You offered your seashell in a vast sea of coral-colored background, placed far down in the right lower corner. I skipped it because Ernst already said what I would've, but I come back to it now because it's illustrative of what I feel is lack of balance. If I hold the frame and let go the thing will dip down on the right because that's where all the visual weight is. There is nothing to balance it in all that negative space. I think negative space can work wonderfully but (at least in my unlettered opinion --- they taught us nothing about art; we were on our own) there always needs to be balance in a composition. Paradoxically if you removed the shell and just offered a blank coral canvas it would balance. If I were to make it I might try placing the shell dead center, surrounded by negative space. That (I think) would balance. You could go further and crop to a square (I love square having shot Hasselblad and other square formats for years). I think what makes it not work is that lack of balance: the shell needs to find a fulcrum, so center it. You could even center it near the top of the frame; it would still balance but it would be something odd and quirky and art! :D
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:06 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:40 am
As discussed many times, them "rules," all of them, ought'a be called suggestions or guidelines or something. I even tend to get mildly irritated (irrational I know but) when I see a demo of the Mild Suggestion of Thirds where the poster is careful to place his subject with great precision dead on one of the intersections. Huh? Yeeahhh, no. It's not a nut or a bolt. It ain't engineering; it's art. I look for balance. Visual balance. If I am placing a main subject on or near that intersection, I am also looking at the rest of the scene for visual mass to balance it. It's a kind of fulcrum, and the whole scene is a kind of teeter-totter; the thing should appear as if you were to let go of the frame it would stay there (does that make sense?). You offered your seashell in a vast sea of coral-colored background, placed far down in the right lower corner. I skipped it because Ernst already said what I would've, but I come back to it now because it's illustrative of what I feel is lack of balance. If I hold the frame and let go the thing will dip down on the right because that's where all the visual weight is. There is nothing to balance it in all that negative space. I think negative space can work wonderfully but (at least in my unlettered opinion --- they taught us nothing about art; we were on our own) there always needs to be balance in a composition. Paradoxically if you removed the shell and just offered a blank coral canvas it would balance. If I were to make it I might try placing the shell dead center, surrounded by negative space. That (I think) would balance. You could go further and crop to a square (I love square having shot Hasselblad and other square formats for years). I think what makes it not work is that lack of balance: the shell needs to find a fulcrum, so center it. You could even center it near the top of the frame; it would still balance but it would be something odd and quirky and art! :D
You couldn't have said it better and I agree Visual Balance is more important than an arbitrary rule, the only thing I look for more is how to tell the story, how to say something you haven't heard before. I've been thinking about that shell too and think I forced it so I might try another soon enough looking for a way to tell a story with an image that's balanced.

The thing about this Challenge that's been so great is having people give their honest feedback. I like hearing Like but I only grow when people take their time to tell me what they really think, and maybe more importantly why. The Challenge is a unique place, it's made me a crazy person at times, and it's helped me start to learn to unsee, but mostly it's been a place to try everything and anything and see what people think. This is what has helped me the most and has forced me to grow!

Thank you so much for your feedback, it's honest and it helps! Never Stop! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:23 am

This challenge has forced me to look beyond and today I offer two, the first for the challenge and an extra! S-

(Anti) Rule Of Thirds: Day 11 - Mountains And Valleys
Attachments
IMG_6818-1m.jpg

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:23 am

And... Fireworks
Attachments
IMG_6789-1m.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:11 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:23 am
This challenge has forced me to look beyond and today I offer two, the first for the challenge and an extra! S-

(Anti) Rule Of Thirds: Day 11 - Mountains And Valleys
What is it really? Mud formations? Some structure made but insects?
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:13 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:23 am
And... Fireworks
Ouch! Love those needle sharp thorns in the focused front area.

You’re getting the hang of this non ROT stuff.

I think I ought to try a 30 day challenge to boost my winter slump.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:23 pm

minniev wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:11 pm
What is it really? Mud formations? Some structure made but insects?
Mud on the trail caused by the recent rains. If I revisit I'll take a wider view! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:24 pm

minniev wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:13 pm
Ouch! Love those needle sharp thorns in the focused front area.

You’re getting the hang of this non ROT stuff.

I think I ought to try a 30 day challenge to boost my winter slump.
They were a little off trail but you could see how easily they could get caught in a fur coat. S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:12 am

(Anti) Rule Of Thirds: Day 12 - Red Tail
Attachments
IMG_6857-1wb.jpg

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:25 pm

You are on a roll - super, Steve!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt