"Photograph things you care about, not what you think others want to see. There is no substitution for passion." —Sarah Rice

― Artistic Expression ShowcaseFrosted Thoughts

User avatar
RBorud
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:15 pm
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Frosted Thoughts

Post by RBorud » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:55 am

Hi All Here is a new industrial image. This was done on another of those -15 below mornings that we have in Minn. this time of the year. But up here most photographers know these temps though agonizing make for great factory scenes. This on being of many 3M plants in the area. (Maybe the scotch tape on your desk came from here) These shots are hard and painful to get, please enjoy, I convinced myself. RBorud
Attachments
IMGP4107B&Wb.jpg

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:23 am

Wow, that is some display of smoke or steam! What is in foreground below the frame?
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Posts: 3707
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:33 am

RBorud wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:55 am
Hi All Here is a new industrial image. This was done on another of those -15 below mornings that we have in Minn. this time of the year. But up here most photographers know these temps though agonizing make for great factory scenes. This on being of many 3M plants in the area. (Maybe the scotch tape on your desk came from here) These shots are hard and painful to get, please enjoy, I convinced myself. RBorud
I love the silvery look, and the cold vapor pouring out of that multiplicity of stacks. I’m cold just looking at it!

Stay safe!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1841
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:19 am

Outstanding! Only word I can think of! Stay safe indeed! (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

User avatar
RBorud
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:15 pm
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by RBorud » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:06 am

LindaShorey wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:23 am
Wow, that is some display of smoke or steam! What is in foreground below the frame?
Thanks Linda It seems the low temps give this quality to the vapor. Below is fences bases and low buildings. I preferd the more mystical look of the free standing stacks, and this is only a small part there is much more to the left and right. RBorud

User avatar
RBorud
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:15 pm
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by RBorud » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:10 am

minniev wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:33 am
RBorud wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:55 am
Hi All Here is a new industrial image. This was done on another of those -15 below mornings that we have in Minn. this time of the year. But up here most photographers know these temps though agonizing make for great factory scenes. This on being of many 3M plants in the area. (Maybe the scotch tape on your desk came from here) These shots are hard and painful to get, please enjoy, I convinced myself. RBorud
I love the silvery look, and the cold vapor pouring out of that multiplicity of stacks. I’m cold just looking at it!

Stay safe!
minniev like I said to linda there are many more acres of these, I had to contain my view to have it make sense. And yes it was cold and I was not far from the car. Thanks RBorud

User avatar
RBorud
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:15 pm
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by RBorud » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:13 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:19 am
Outstanding! Only word I can think of! Stay safe indeed! (OK)
Thanks Chuck for your thoughts I would repeat as above. Most amazing I have never had any trouble with the cameras in these forays despite the horror stories we have all heard.Thanks RBorud

User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1841
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:51 pm

RBorud wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:13 am
Thanks Chuck for your thoughts I would repeat as above. Most amazing I have never had any trouble with the cameras in these forays despite the horror stories we have all heard.Thanks RBorud
What we worry about is the spectre of a solidly frozen man standing behind an icicle-dripping tripod. So far as I know cameras not being used totally in arctic conditions (think Amundsen-Scott Station) do just fine without special prep. The big thing I hear about is condensation, especially when a very cold camera comes in to a warm environment, or maybe the other way around, or maybe both... I fergits. I think the thing you have to inspect for is condensation within the lens rather than so much on it. That can be wiped away but fog developing between the elements...? I think when that happens all ya can do is wait. :|
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1315
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:37 am

good job getting out there - Minnie has been taking her ice shots, and you were out there knowing that the steam would magnify and shine, me... all I got was COLD.

User avatar
RBorud
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:15 pm
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by RBorud » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:31 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:23 am
Wow, that is some display of smoke or steam! What is in foreground below the frame?
Linda I know some want to see the whole structure an all costs, some obscure PSA rules I will bet. I did not want the viewers seeing the junk etc. below and have it subtract from the very magical scene of billowing clouds on a very solid black ground. When I see the whole scene it is diluted by 10 fold. I really think much of our so called photo rules when applied too rigidly do much more harm than we realise. Sorry for my vent. But thanks for the comments. RBorud

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest