― Scapes CritiqueRiver of Ice

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

River of Ice

Post by minniev » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:26 pm

The little stream that feeds the swamp froze over. All suggestions and comments appreciated.
Attachments
swampice (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:36 pm

Lovely, dark, and deep. I know the ice is nowhere near strong enough to walk on or I would want to. The entry point just to my left, step carefully on and follow the gentle S-curve back into the somewhere center. I'd be mostly looking up when I broke through and then I'd have to hope I wasn't too far from the car and a change of socks. :)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

PietFrancke
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:24 pm

I really like how it winds and weaves through the trees - and I like the cool blue color that contrasts with the warm colors in the leaves and trees.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:20 pm

minniev wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:26 pm
The little stream that feeds the swamp froze over. All suggestions and comments appreciated.
Subtle, clever lady. Really love how the skinny tree, top middle left, echoes the curve of the stream. Neat. Ice tones are perfect. Composition just right. Hope you stayed dry.

You want ice? Wait till I get back to MD to post some of the ice jam in Paines Creek. Have struggled mightily with Lightroom mobile, with success only one night. Too frustrating. Would rather read. So I'll snap away and wait till MD. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:28 pm

Fantastic composition and subtle use of the light and icy conditions. You brought order to the cypress trees! I like this very much, Minnie.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:45 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:36 pm
Lovely, dark, and deep. I know the ice is nowhere near strong enough to walk on or I would want to. The entry point just to my left, step carefully on and follow the gentle S-curve back into the somewhere center. I'd be mostly looking up when I broke through and then I'd have to hope I wasn't too far from the car and a change of socks. :)
Thanks Chuck. It definitely wasn’t strong enough to walk on, and this part of the swamp is very boggy at best. Though I haven’t seen any alligators frozen with their snouts up like the ones on the news, I know they are in there, sleeping and waiting, so I won’t tiptoe over their beds!

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:51 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:24 pm
I really like how it winds and weaves through the trees - and I like the cool blue color that contrasts with the warm colors in the leaves and trees.
Thanks Piet, those were the very characteristics that drew me into this scene.

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:55 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:20 pm
minniev wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:26 pm
Subtle, clever lady. Really love how the skinny tree, top middle left, echoes the curve of the stream. Neat. Ice tones are perfect. Composition just right. Hope you stayed dry.

You want ice? Wait till I get back to MD to post some of the ice jam in Paines Creek. Have struggled mightily with Lightroom mobile, with success only one night. Too frustrating. Would rather read. So I'll snap away and wait till MD. Matt
I love ice, and seldom see it. Yes, liked that tree too! There are very few leading lines in this swamp, in fact this may be the only one. And this was the only ice day that I had those nice blue-sky reflections.

I haven’t been brave enough to try LR mobile yet. Maybe tomorrow?

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:56 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:28 pm
Fantastic composition and subtle use of the light and icy conditions. You brought order to the cypress trees! I like this very much, Minnie.
Thanks Linda. Order is scaace in the swamp. It is a messy place that has read not one book on photographic composition and need for simplification.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:42 am

minniev wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:45 pm
Charles Haacker wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:36 pm
Thanks Chuck. It definitely wasn’t strong enough to walk on, and this part of the swamp is very boggy at best. Though I haven’t seen any alligators frozen with their snouts up like the ones on the news, I know they are in there, sleeping and waiting, so I won’t tiptoe over their beds!
Yeah but when they're that cold ya can tippy-toe right on their snouts and they can't do nuthin'! :rofl:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|