"Photograph things you care about, not what you think others want to see. There is no substitution for passion." —Sarah Rice

Project 52Minnie's 52

Forum rules
Some posts may not be "safe for work". If you intend to post any nude, topless or implied nude images please include the phrase NSFW in your title.
minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Minnie's 52

Post by minniev » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:44 pm

I am using the spinner to help drive the image I post in this thread every week. This week I got "Natural Framing" and of course went to the swamp and the dam. The swamp proved more useful. However, it's 12 degrees here today, and zero with the wind chill factor. Coldest it's been in a century, they claim. So I was only able to stay out a short while. Between shivering and not being able to work with a tripod with my thick gloves, I settled for less than I wanted. But the week's still young!

I call this one "Swamp in a Cypress Frame".

I use rough cypress frames from Fads-n-Frames for lots of my prints, but this one is a little unfinished and I think I'll leave it where it is.
Attachments
a cypress frame (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:52 pm

Great start, Minnie! Extreme weather is so difficult for man and beast and flora. I imagine many will lose landscaping plants and such?
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:44 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:52 pm
Great start, Minnie! Extreme weather is so difficult for man and beast and flora. I imagine many will lose landscaping plants and such?
Lots of tarps and cloths up around here. The ice is beautiful so I'll keep after it till it's gone, but I can't stay out long at a time. They don't even sell the kinds of clothes we would need for this down here!

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:01 pm

minniev wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:44 pm
I am using the spinner to help drive the image I post in this thread every week. This week I got "Natural Framing" and of course went to the swamp and the dam. The swamp proved more useful. However, it's 12 degrees here today, and zero with the wind chill factor. Coldest it's been in a century, they claim. So I was only able to stay out a short while. Between shivering and not being able to work with a tripod with my thick gloves, I settled for less than I wanted. But the week's still young!

I call this one "Swamp in a Cypress Frame".

I use rough cypress frames from Fads-n-Frames for lots of my prints, but this one is a little unfinished and I think I'll leave it where it is.
Minnie, I like this the way it is. Fine framing without being to obvious or literal.

Weather is affecting us all. We had planned to go to our house at Cape Cod for a few weeks just to monitor it during the winter but decided to wait; monster storm of hurricane proportions in the forecast for the end of this week with winds 55-60 mph and snow up to 8" with drifting above that. We'll stay here in the 10 degree cold for a while and maybe go up later in the month. Our neighbor keeps watch.

I spun and got Metal, posted a photo that I tried to sneak into 3 categories but got caught. Back to work.

Very pleasing start. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:29 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:01 pm

Minnie, I like this the way it is. Fine framing without being to obvious or literal.

Weather is affecting us all. We had planned to go to our house at Cape Cod for a few weeks just to monitor it during the winter but decided to wait; monster storm of hurricane proportions in the forecast for the end of this week with winds 55-60 mph and snow up to 8" with drifting above that. We'll stay here in the 10 degree cold for a while and maybe go up later in the month. Our neighbor keeps watch.

I spun and got Metal, posted a photo that I tried to sneak into 3 categories but got caught. Back to work.

Thanks Matt! Have you started a Matt 52 Spinner thread? That way you can keep your spinner pictures all together like you have your black and white 52 thread. I have so enjoyed following your black and white thread.

I have postponed our startup at our renovated old farm house. Trying to get accustomed to living with 1905 conveniences would be discouraging if not deadly. I'll do that when we warm up just a bit.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:00 am

minniev wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:29 pm
Matt Quinn wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:01 pm

Thanks Matt! Have you started a Matt 52 Spinner thread? That way you can keep your spinner pictures all together like you have your black and white 52 thread. I have so enjoyed following your black and white thread.

I have postponed our startup at our renovated old farm house. Trying to get accustomed to living with 1905 conveniences would be discouraging if not deadly. I'll do that when we warm up just a bit.
I posted Metal in both my Strings series and Project 52: BW, but disallowed it in Spinner. Foiled. Can't sneak anything by that fellow. So, it's back to the camera I go. I have something in mind. Look later tonight. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

pah43
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus

Post by pah43 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:52 am

An interesting picture, I love the colors in it - out of interest are the "spikes" in the foreground aerial roots (similar to Mangroves) or worn down tree trunks? Just for you guys in the northern hemisphere I have to tell you that while you are so cold this week I'm going to be so hot - the forecast for the next few days is 44deg Celsius which I believe is around 111 deg F so this might be a good time to look through the archives for a while !!
Paul
Cheers,
Paul.

“Wherever there is light, one can photograph." :photo:

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:01 am

pah43 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:52 am
An interesting picture, I love the colors in it - out of interest are the "spikes" in the foreground aerial roots (similar to Mangroves) or worn down tree trunks? Just for you guys in the northern hemisphere I have to tell you that while you are so cold this week I'm going to be so hot - the forecast for the next few days is 44deg Celsius which I believe is around 111 deg F so this might be a good time to look through the archives for a while !!
Paul
Thank you for your comments!

This is a cypress swamp, and cypress growing in swamps often have these things, which are called knees. They don’t really serve a substantiated aeration function, because all cypress don’t have them, and if they are cut off the tree usually does just fine. It is now thought that they stabilize these huge trees in the watery home they grow in for hundreds of years. They are attached to the underground root system. The colors were a little unusual today because of the ice reflecting the blue of the sky. Typically it’s fairly brown all winter with a touch of green moss and fern here and there. It’s my regular photo haunt.

We often have above 100 F temps much of the summer and into the fall, so we understand your sweltering heat. This cold snap is very strange for us.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:08 am

peeking from the warmth
slippery water hard and cold
the nymphs find their skates

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:00 am

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:08 am
peeking from the warmth
slippery water hard and cold
the nymphs find their skates
love it!

I’ll be back out there tomorrow and will look carefully for those nymphs on skates.

Beautiful-