General DiscussionsMerry Christmas

John N
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Merry Christmas

Post by John N » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:45 pm

Merry Christmas Photo Mentorians. I know it's a day late but I struggle a bit with layers and things and hadn't progressed much much when I tried to do this in Elements. So I fell back WORD and snipped a jpeg resulting in a low res. image. But the message remains the same!

A local landmark, this telecommunications tower used to form a radio network before fibre came along.
Attachments
xmas card.JPG
xmas card.JPG (71.06 KiB) Viewed 686 times

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:51 pm

Very cool, John! Glad you're part of the small, hopefully growing, family here. If there's anything I can help with re layers and Elements, please don't hesitate to email. I struggled mightily with the concept at first, but as Minnie might say, I "finally wrangled into submission." So now I know just enough to help confuse someone else :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

paulav

Post by paulav » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:40 pm

I love the creativity you've used here. It's fun to decorate with virtual Christmas decorations.

I hope you and yours had a great Christmas.

NOTE: This is really from minniev, but the new site was impossible for me to post to, so I created a new identity to see if it works. This is a sincere compliment & sentiment but also a test post.

paula v alias minnie v

EDIT - I am now back to my regular identity, minnie v, but am leaving the post here for reference.

And if ANYONE is having any further problems with the forum, do let Duck or Steve know. They've worked diligently all day today to get this problem fixed, and we hope it will solve some problems for others.

John N
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Post by John N » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:30 pm

Thank you, Linda, I'm going to go with Minniev theme and try to beat it into submission! However, I may call on you later.

This shot is a good example of taking a camera with you. I went round to my niece's to get her partners car started on a cold and frosty morning (it's not good to know a little about cars AND be retired).

Once we had proved the fault and got the car going I was on my way back home when I glimpsed the tower drifting in and out of the rising fog as it burnt off! So I drove closer to get this on my G16, extra's came from images on transparent backgrounds so it was just copied and pasted in word.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:07 pm

I'm glad to see another casualty and victor over the Layers thing. I got lucky making my first card, then spent an hour or more trying to remember what I did and why I couldn't resize anything on the second. I eventually figured it out with a few kind YouTube videos.

Surprisingly I've used Word too, but have never figured out how to save all the 'layers.' laf

And maybe this will help - how to use layers in photoshop elements. Happy Holidays! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

John N
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Post by John N » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:03 pm

No layers in word. Just copy and paste. Put your main image on the page and right click for options. Choose text wrapping and behind text. You can now drag the image to anywhere on the page and resize it to full page etc. Now, anything else you copy and paste will appear on top of your base image. Right-click, text wrapping (and this time) on top of text will allow you do whatever you want with the additions. Once finalised, use the SNIPPET tool on Office or print screen and crop. Save.

Lynda helped me out with an exercise that worked O.K., so I tried it to produce this. Much better quality when done properly.
Attachments
TOWER AND SANTA copy.jpg
MOON and SANTA.jpg

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by St3v3M » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:12 pm

John N wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:03 pm
No layers in word. Just copy and paste. Put your main image on the page and right click for options. Choose text wrapping and behind text. You can now drag the image to anywhere on the page and resize it to full page etc. Now, anything else you copy and paste will appear on top of your base image. Right-click, text wrapping (and this time) on top of text will allow you do whatever you want with the additions. Once finalised, use the SNIPPET tool on Office or print screen and crop. Save.

Lynda helped me out with an exercise that worked O.K., so I tried it to produce this. Much better quality when done properly.
The first is beautiful, the second classic! Happy New Year! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"