The only person you should try to be better than is who you were yesterday. – unknown

Animals Critique'Just One Kiss'

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

'Just One Kiss'

Post by davechinn » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:05 pm

Going with a softer touch because of subject matter, composition and the compassionate affection shown between man and dog.
Attachments
Just One Kiss DEC_4975w B&W.jpg
'Just One Kiss'
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

User avatar
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2478
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:31 am
Location: Shelton, CT
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Duck » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:15 pm

The softer effect works well but the "washed out" (low contrast) area should be on the hat. The dog and its action are the main subject and should have the main focus. For me, this effect places focus more on the hat. If you can flip that effect... Golden!

Pretty dog.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Posts: 3398
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:02 pm

davechinn wrote:Going with a softer touch because of subject matter, composition and the compassionate affection shown between man and dog.



A nice image, Dave, I like that all the detail of expression is on the dog's face instead of the man's. The composition is excellent. I would struggle with the processing effect. I've been trying similar in LR with creative use of the tone curve, but I end up with this hazy look that makes me feel like I need more contrast. I know this particular kind of processing is fashionable nowadays but I may be too rooted in the high contrast generation to understand or do it well. I think you have indeed done it properly, and I'd like to hear more from you about your choices and actions.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1398
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by LindaShorey » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:45 pm

Love the composition and the captured moment in time. Duck's comment is interesting; I wouldn't have seen and now I do, lol. I'd also be curious about a very slight tint. I kind of think of b&w as being more contrasty like Minnie mentioned, so without explanation I might not "get" your intent with this processing and probably would think it was an older film photo. Or it could be that subtlety just goes over my head these days :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by davechinn » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:53 pm

Duck wrote:The softer effect works well but the "washed out" (low contrast) area should be on the hat. The dog and its action are the main subject and should have the main focus. For me, this effect places focus more on the hat. If you can flip that effect... Golden!

Pretty dog.


I know you prefer more contrast in images, and I usually do myself. I thought I would make an attempt to go in the other direction with this one. May have been a wrong move, but the only way to find out is to post and see how other's felt. At first I struggled with totally agreeing with you, but now may have changed my mind. I took your suggestion to see how it would appeal to me and I believe there is an improvement?
Dave
Attachments
Just One Kiss DEC_4975#2w B&W.jpg
'Just One Kiss' (Revised)
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

User avatar
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2478
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:31 am
Location: Shelton, CT
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Duck » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:59 pm

davechinn wrote:
Duck wrote:The softer effect works well but the "washed out" (low contrast) area should be on the hat. The dog and its action are the main subject and should have the main focus. For me, this effect places focus more on the hat. If you can flip that effect... Golden!

I know you prefer more contrast in images, and I usually do myself. I thought I would make an attempt to go in the other direction with this one. May have been a wrong move, but the only way to find out is to post and see how other's felt. At first I struggled with totally agreeing with you, but now may have changed my mind. I took your suggestion to see how it would appeal to me and I believe there is an improvement?
Dave

I think you misunderstood my statement. I like the soft, low contrast look to this image. I had no issue with that part of it. It was the 'matt' toning over the dog's face that bothered me. While it does give the effect of light bleed coming in from the top right corner I felt because it obscured the dog's face too much (that being the central focus) the image was better served with that effect on the left, allowing the focus to push to the right. In the end, it's about controlling the viewer's eye. ;)
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1493
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:32 pm

Being able to see the two noses I believe is an improvement Mr. Chinn....some effect could I think be added back to taste around those areas...

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by davechinn » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:06 pm

minniev wrote:
davechinn wrote:Going with a softer touch because of subject matter, composition and the compassionate affection shown between man and dog.



A nice image, Dave, I like that all the detail of expression is on the dog's face instead of the man's. The composition is excellent. I would struggle with the processing effect. I've been trying similar in LR with creative use of the tone curve, but I end up with this hazy look that makes me feel like I need more contrast. I know this particular kind of processing is fashionable nowadays but I may be too rooted in the high contrast generation to understand or do it well. I think you have indeed done it properly, and I'd like to hear more from you about your choices and actions.


Thanks Minnie !!! This image was taken on St. Patricks Day 2016. I have a couple of shots of the man in various places. He, of course has a green beard and is not the owner of the dog. I just happened to be at the right place at the right time for this image. He sat down on the pavement to greet the dog and what you see was the first reaction from the dog. I just wished my shutter speed was set a little faster (1/200 sec. wasn't fast enough) because the dog's tongue is slightly blurred or maybe out of focus, which was one of my reasonings for trying a soft side. However, I have seen a variety of images lately that are low contrast, soft focus or whichever it may be and I'm leaning towards to liking the effect for some, but not all, images. This is all sorta new to me and I do struggle but refuse to give up because I expect there will be more down the pike.

My processing with this one was totally experimental. Of course, conversion to B&W first, then the challenges began with dodging and burning layers a few gradient mask layers to selectively place to my desire. I even used glamour glow within Silver Efex, which I hardly ever use. I have a lot to learn and never think to know it all, because at most, it's all trial & error to see what works and what doesn't. Thanks for asking and I hope it's understandable.

Also, Duck's comments were misunderstood by me and with his help I can see the differences. Although, with me it takes more time to get it through my thick skull. This thread has been a learning experience for sure.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by davechinn » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:17 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Love the composition and the captured moment in time. Duck's comment is interesting; I wouldn't have seen and now I do, lol. I'd also be curious about a very slight tint. I kind of think of b&w as being more contrasty like Minnie mentioned, so without explanation I might not "get" your intent with this processing and probably would think it was an older film photo. Or it could be that subtlety just goes over my head these days :)



Thanks Linda !!! Your right, I wouldn't have seen the issues and actually, at first refused. Only points out that one way is not always the right way. If that makes sense. It does have the impression of an older photo, but that wasn't the intent. The slight tint was just experimental. I have since increased the tone a little more and will post my final edit later.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

User avatar
davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by davechinn » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:13 am

Duck wrote:
davechinn wrote:
Duck wrote:The softer effect works well but the "washed out" (low contrast) area should be on the hat. The dog and its action are the main subject and should have the main focus. For me, this effect places focus more on the hat. If you can flip that effect... Golden!

I know you prefer more contrast in images, and I usually do myself. I thought I would make an attempt to go in the other direction with this one. May have been a wrong move, but the only way to find out is to post and see how other's felt. At first I struggled with totally agreeing with you, but now may have changed my mind. I took your suggestion to see how it would appeal to me and I believe there is an improvement?
Dave

I think you misunderstood my statement. I like the soft, low contrast look to this image. I had no issue with that part of it. It was the 'matt' toning over the dog's face that bothered me. While it does give the effect of light bleed coming in from the top right corner I felt because it obscured the dog's face too much (that being the central focus) the image was better served with that effect on the left, allowing the focus to push to the right. In the end, it's about controlling the viewer's eye. ;)


Thanks Duck for all your help. Much appreciated !!! This is my final edit of this image, and I do believe its an improvement from the first.
Dave
Attachments
Just One Kiss DEC_4975#3w B&W.jpg
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest