"You Are The Difference!"

People ShowcasePow Wow

Post Reply
User avatar
Bob Yankle
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:53 pm
Location: Burlington, NC
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first
Contact:

Pow Wow

Post by Bob Yankle » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:52 pm

One of the first times I really got into using textures was in a collaboration with my sister who had photographed a Pow Wow. The costumes were gorgeous ..... the crowds in the backgrounds not so much. In images 2 and 4 I actually re-introduced the crowd at about 3% opacity in the background layer, giving it a sense of ancestors watching over the celebration.
Attachments
Svona_IndianDancer_002_fotoblur.jpg
Svona_IndianMaidens_PowWow_fotoblurjpg.jpg
Svona_WarriorAndChild_PowWow_2010.jpg
Svona_PowWow_DanceTroupe_2010.jpg

User avatar
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2525
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:31 am
Location: Shelton, CT
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Duck » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:08 pm

These are amazing. I remember a while back when the on demand printing started opening up all kinds of possibilities for photographers, one particular local portrait photographer offered high school seniors posters of themselves using simple background portraits. This is reminiscent of what he did but on a higher artistic level. I can definitely see these as large wall prints. Super cool.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 1006
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:17 pm
Location: Port Angeleeeeeeees, WA
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:25 am

Wonderful image Bob. Love those textured backgrounds. Looks like alot of work.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

User avatar
Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 1006
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:17 pm
Location: Port Angeleeeeeeees, WA
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:57 pm

I had to come back this morning and look again!!! Would you give us some insights as to how you created these Bob? Thanks
Today is the Day, a New Day.

User avatar
Bob Yankle
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:53 pm
Location: Burlington, NC
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first
Contact:

Post by Bob Yankle » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:59 pm

Duck wrote:These are amazing. I remember a while back when the on demand printing started opening up all kinds of possibilities for photographers, one particular local portrait photographer offered high school seniors posters of themselves using simple background portraits. This is reminiscent of what he did but on a higher artistic level. I can definitely see these as large wall prints. Super cool.


Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:I had to come back this morning and look again!!! Would you give us some insights as to how you created these Bob? Thanks


Thank you Duck and Ernst. The hardest part when working with these Indian Dancers is creating a selection around the various tassels and feathers. The tool I use most often is the polygonal lasso tool ...... takes a lot of clicks (especially on curves), but lets me get in real close. I save the selection to a new layer, then create a new layer with the texture beneath the selected dancers. I use textured backgrounds from a program called Smart Photo Editor Studio, then on some, change the opacity of that layer to about 98% - this allows some of the crowd to show through, but so indistinctly to appear as ghosts. Finally I go to work on the top layer, enhancing the lighting and color values until they blend nicely with the textured background layer immediately beneath it.

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Posts: 4085
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by minniev » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:39 pm

Bob Yankle wrote:One of the first times I really got into using textures was in a collaboration with my sister who had photographed a Pow Wow. The costumes were gorgeous ..... the crowds in the backgrounds not so much. In images 2 and 4 I actually re-introduced the crowd at about 3% opacity in the background layer, giving it a sense of ancestors watching over the celebration.


Very interesting and creative way to present these, and thank you for the detail on what you did. I am always flummoxed by what to do with pictures of native dancers because of the crowd being both close and surrounding the dancers, so that there is not angle from which NOT to have them. There's usually a lot of other intrusions since they're often set up right amidst vendor booths, parking areas, and all kinds of other stuff. The native events I photograph are 'Choctaw, so not pow-pows in the usual sense (their tribal law forbids it since it is not their tradition), but they do have celebrations where similar dances occur, and of course stickball. You have given me some inspiration!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 4358
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by St3v3M » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:24 am

Wow, these are wonderful and I really like the texture and the use of the 3% to invoke a little more. These are beautiful! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests