― Scapes CritiqueA Road of Lost Things

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

A Road of Lost Things

Post by minniev » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:04 pm

Another of my kitchen sink shots, I promise I'll post something different soon.

This tiny road if it can be called such was lined with all manner of treasures: this old boat, a cast iron bath tub with enormous feet, old wooden lobster traps, an antique wheelbarrow, and much much more, all leading to the old house and the sea. The fun was figuring out how to compose it. This is one of many. All suggestions and comments appreciated.
Attachments
lost things (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Mike D
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Mike D » Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:30 pm

I like the composition Minnie. The way the rocks meet the road works well imho - it is solid and well done.

Now for the critique part, it's a bit overbaked for my tastes but you will find that I'm kind of a minimalist anyway. It shows that you know your way around an editing program though. :thumbup:

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:19 pm

Mike D wrote:I like the composition Minnie. The way the rocks meet the road works well imho - it is solid and well done.

Now for the critique part, it's a bit overbaked for my tastes but you will find that I'm kind of a minimalist anyway. It shows that you know your way around an editing program though. :thumbup:

Thank you, the composition was my biggest question. The processing is one of my common recipes, but may be a little more tonal contrast than some folks prefer. That's all good, we each have our own tastes, and that's what makes it interesting to discuss! I appreciate honest feedback anytime!

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:26 pm

What a cool find! Speaking of flips (as you suggested to Matt in a new topic and as I'm about to mention in a new topic of my own!), I prefer this image with the road on the left. There is so much visual weight with the massive rocks, it's uncomfortable for me in the current presentation. I lose my way to the sea when my eye falls off the page to the right. With a flip, the rocks keep me within the frame and I can enjoy the wonderful details of the abandoned boat and the wild landscape, then meander on down the road.

I know from previous discussions about visual weight (or a subject) on the left or right side, folks tend to be firmly in one camp or the other :)

I agree with Mike that a bit less saturation, especially green, would be more enjoyable. Strictly personal preference. A highly engaging and unique photo!

(edit: you replied to Mike while I was typing. Also my flip doesn't look as sharp as yours, something about the befunky editing app?)
Attachments
minnielostthings281of129.jpg
minnielostthings281of129.jpg (456.62 KiB) Viewed 498 times
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Oct 01, 2017 12:13 am

Y'know, it is indeed all about subjectivity. First, I love the original post exactly as is. I would not change a thing. I would not recompose it, nor flip it. I would not change the tone or temper. I like it dark and broody and a little threatening. I like it green (I don't think it's overmuch, it's Scotland). I love to let my eye wander down the windy road to the cove, but my eye comes right back to the boat. It still has a mooring line attached to the prow. I wonder if it was carried up here and dumped by a storm. The fact that vegetation is growing in the bilge says it will likely never float again, but once it was a solid, well-built working skiff. Now, all that said, that is (as we all know but it may bear repeating) utterly personal opinion and does not in any way negate what Mike and Linda have said. It just intrigues me, and reminds me that every one of us has a unique vision, and all are different, however slightly.
(Mine is the correct one, of course.) 8): :rofl:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:24 am

minniev wrote:Another of my kitchen sink shots, I promise I'll post something different soon.

This tiny road if it can be called such was lined with all manner of treasures: this old boat, a cast iron bath tub with enormous feet, old wooden lobster traps, an antique wheelbarrow, and much much more, all leading to the old house and the sea. The fun was figuring out how to compose it. This is one of many. All suggestions and comments appreciated.

Minnie, This is enchanting. I like this composition with the rocks sloping down, left to right, to the sea. The image has a "Hobbit" feel to me, and very much what I envision Scotland and the Hebrides to look like. I prefer this treatment to the one on the Old Man of Storr. This is a companionable scene, with relics all around; nothing threatening even though the landscape looks very muscular. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:45 am

LindaShorey wrote:What a cool find! Speaking of flips (as you suggested to Matt in a new topic and as I'm about to mention in a new topic of my own!), I prefer this image with the road on the left. There is so much visual weight with the massive rocks, it's uncomfortable for me in the current presentation. I lose my way to the sea when my eye falls off the page to the right. With a flip, the rocks keep me within the frame and I can enjoy the wonderful details of the abandoned boat and the wild landscape, then meander on down the road.

I know from previous discussions about visual weight (or a subject) on the left or right side, folks tend to be firmly in one camp or the other :)

I agree with Mike that a bit less saturation, especially green, would be more enjoyable. Strictly personal preference. A highly engaging and unique photo!

(edit: you replied to Mike while I was typing. Also my flip doesn't look as sharp as yours, something about the befunky editing app?)

Thank ya, Linda, for the comments and the interesting edit, which I like (the flip works well here). Greens are always an issue, and Scotland's greens were different than what I'm used to - some were more intense greens(especially the grasses), and in some places more yellow, than what I'm accustomed to. Then, in places where there was heather that had already turned brown, there was a reddish tone. Editing is making me crazy!

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:48 am

Charles Haacker wrote:Y'know, it is indeed all about subjectivity. First, I love the original post exactly as is. I would not change a thing. I would not recompose it, nor flip it. I would not change the tone or temper. I like it dark and broody and a little threatening. I like it green (I don't think it's overmuch, it's Scotland). I love to let my eye wander down the windy road to the cove, but my eye comes right back to the boat. It still has a mooring line attached to the prow. I wonder if it was carried up here and dumped by a storm. The fact that vegetation is growing in the bilge says it will likely never float again, but once it was a solid, well-built working skiff. Now, all that said, that is (as we all know but it may bear repeating) utterly personal opinion and does not in any way negate what Mike and Linda have said. It just intrigues me, and reminds me that every one of us has a unique vision, and all are different, however slightly.
(Mine is the correct one, of course.) 8): :rofl:

Thank you Chuck, for the detail in your thinking, which is kinda like what I had in mind. As I told Linda, the greens were different in Scotland than what I'm used to, and trying to get them "right" has been a challenge. I am a sucker for old decrepit boats, they seem to have stories to tell.

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:50 am

Matt Quinn wrote:
minniev wrote:Another of my kitchen sink shots, I promise I'll post something different soon.

Minnie, This is enchanting. I like this composition with the rocks sloping down, left to right, to the sea. The image has a "Hobbit" feel to me, and very much what I envision Scotland and the Hebrides to look like. I prefer this treatment to the one on the Old Man of Storr. This is a companionable scene, with relics all around; nothing threatening even though the landscape looks very muscular. Matt

Thanks Matt. This scene did have a sort of jolly, homelike feel to it, as if the owners had lined their driveway with mementos of their family's history. Storr was mysterious and somewhat ominous.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:50 pm

I love this and feel as if I'm there. My only suggestion would be to show more if there's more to show, otherwise Yes! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"