"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

People CritiqueAdjusting the Cap

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Adjusting the Cap

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:41 pm

All comments welcome...
Attachments
20170701FGS_2389-Adjusting_the_Cap.jpg

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:57 pm

Psjunkie wrote:All comments welcome...

Good one Frank !!! A nice relaxed candid pose with what appears to be a partial stretch. I'm not sure about the vignette, but it does seem to work in this case.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:50 pm

An engaging image, where your subject seems friendly, relaxed and enjoying his day. I like how his face is framed by cap and arms, though the near arm is a bit too dominant in the frame for me.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:07 pm

I don't like the vignette style - it is (to me) too grungy, dirty, polluted. My first reaction and area of view was the arm pit. The portrait itself and the B/W rendering is (to me) top notch (and something that I am not even capable of). Blur the vignette and the bad feelings might go away. It looks like an afternoon in the sun at the soccer game.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:13 pm

Psjunkie wrote:All comments welcome...

It's a good casual shot capturing a nice relaxes look, focused well and converted well. The arm is awkward, and I suspect that's why you tried that textured vignetting. I don't know about that stuff, I might try a closer crop to get to or past the elbow and do some plain light vignetting or a clipping mask to fade things away and take away some of the dominance. He's just too muscular!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:26 am

Thank you all very much for comment...I sorta knew what was going to be said but just needed some confirmation.....

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:53 pm

I like the portrait very much, nice and sharp and loaded with character. I love that you converted to B&W. The near arm doesn't bother me and I don't hate the vignette, especially on the right side of the frame where it looks like blurry trees with light coming through the leaves. I don't care for it as much across the bottom and on the left where it begins to betray itself as what it is. I think if I had made it I might clean it off the arm on the left (I would leave it on the background that I tend to assume it there to hide) and remove it totally from the bottom. If I'm right and you are hiding a distracting background I consider that's a legitimate use of a textured vignette. I think it's light and bright enough that it works.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:00 am

Charles Haacker wrote:I like the portrait very much, nice and sharp and loaded with character. I love that you converted to B&W. The near arm doesn't bother me and I don't hate the vignette, especially on the right side of the frame where it looks like blurry trees with light coming through the leaves. I don't care for it as much across the bottom and on the left where it begins to betray itself as what it is. I think if I had made it I might clean it off the arm on the left (I would leave it on the background that I tend to assume it there to hide) and remove it totally from the bottom. If I'm right and you are hiding a distracting background I consider that's a legitimate use of a textured vignette. I think it's light and bright enough that it works.
Thanks very much Chuck, not tying to hide anything just trying a technique for a border....back to the drawing board..

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:54 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Charles Haacker wrote:I like the portrait very much, nice and sharp and loaded with character. I love that you converted to B&W. The near arm doesn't bother me and I don't hate the vignette, especially on the right side of the frame where it looks like blurry trees with light coming through the leaves. I don't care for it as much across the bottom and on the left where it begins to betray itself as what it is. I think if I had made it I might clean it off the arm on the left (I would leave it on the background that I tend to assume it there to hide) and remove it totally from the bottom. If I'm right and you are hiding a distracting background I consider that's a legitimate use of a textured vignette. I think it's light and bright enough that it works.
Thanks very much Chuck, not tying to hide anything just trying a technique for a border....back to the drawing board..

Hi Frank, I think if it was heavily blurred, it would have been ok. I think the strength of it was just too much. Too sharp, it cause the eyes to go and explore it too much.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:11 am

tried playing with it (not with success) but wanted to put it up anyway. I blurred the outside, added noise, and then did a Nik color efex vignette. Will be much easier for you since you have original. Am thinking the only reason it was harsh was the sharpness/solidity of your clouds.
f.jpg
f.jpg (219.88 KiB) Viewed 627 times

Anyway, sorry for putting this less than stellar effort up, but I like the shot you took Frank, give us a proper fix to it!! If you go back to the drawing board, I'd be curious to see what you come up with.