“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.” —Nelson Mandela

― Transportation CritiqueChooChoo 2

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

ChooChoo 2

Post by Didereaux » Mon May 01, 2017 2:12 pm

Old '28' coming into the station.
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by LindaShorey » Mon May 01, 2017 11:27 pm

Seems nicely balanced with the progression of elements leading us to the incoming train. Cool to have the starburst light too. A good choice for b&w with strong forms and full tonal range.

My only suggestion would be to include a bit more space on the left to include the edge of that train car. As shown, it appears to be an oversight rather than a composition choice. Of course, there could have been something very ugly there you were trying to keep out of the frame :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Didereaux » Mon May 01, 2017 11:56 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Seems nicely balanced with the progression of elements leading us to the incoming train. Cool to have the starburst light too. A good choice for b&w with strong forms and full tonal range.

My only suggestion would be to include a bit more space on the left to include the edge of that train car. As shown, it appears to be an oversight rather than a composition choice. Of course, there could have been something very ugly there you were trying to keep out of the frame :)

Thanks!

Light rays compliments of small aperture F22 in this instance I think. I never use filters for effects....period! (excluding ND filters, regular and gradient, and polarizers but none of those are primarily effects filters anyways.)

As for the tightness. we were allowed to stand between that loading gate and the tracks behind us only, so a narrow view. landscape mode but shopped off to much sky trees etc....squished the train stuff. So had to go vertical and in that narrow space that was as wide a view as I could get and have the stuff in it that I wanted. Sometimes ya jes has to take what's given. ;)
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue May 02, 2017 2:11 am

LindaShorey wrote:Seems nicely balanced with the progression of elements leading us to the incoming train. Cool to have the starburst light too. A good choice for b&w with strong forms and full tonal range.

Oddly I'm heading the other direction with an extreme crop in, two-thirds of the left train car and none of the one on the right.

I like it as is but somethings says less. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Didereaux » Tue May 02, 2017 7:37 am

St3v3M wrote:

Oddly I'm heading the other direction with an extreme crop in, two-thirds of the left train car and none of the one on the right.

I like it as is but somethings says less. S-

YOu may be right in that. Why it went the way it did to the left is I wanted to show the signal arm above the train car. After review it didn't seem to add as much as I thought. So had I shifted the camera angle just a few degrees to the right it would have placed the oncoming engine more centered between the loading platform and the rail car. good catch. Ido however like the trees and bit of sky, without them the scene becomes a bit to abstract, and that was not where I was wanting to go with this...more starkly real.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue May 02, 2017 11:00 am

Didereaux wrote:YOu may be right in that. Why it went the way it did to the left is I wanted to show the signal arm above the train car. After review it didn't seem to add as much as I thought. So had I shifted the camera angle just a few degrees to the right it would have placed the oncoming engine more centered between the loading platform and the rail car. good catch. Ido however like the trees and bit of sky, without them the scene becomes a bit to abstract, and that was not where I was wanting to go with this...more starkly real.

I'd be happy to share 'another' vision if you'd like. S-

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Didereaux » Tue May 02, 2017 12:32 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Didereaux wrote:YOu may be right in that. Why it went the way it did to the left is I wanted to show the signal arm above the train car. After review it didn't seem to add as much as I thought. So had I shifted the camera angle just a few degrees to the right it would have placed the oncoming engine more centered between the loading platform and the rail car. good catch. Ido however like the trees and bit of sky, without them the scene becomes a bit to abstract, and that was not where I was wanting to go with this...more starkly real.

If you are talking about an edit of this shot...have at it! On the other hand if it is some vision you are having after chomping strange fungus out in the desert, then I pass! :lol:

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue May 02, 2017 9:12 pm

Didereaux wrote:
St3v3M wrote:

If you are talking about an edit of this shot...have at it! On the other hand if it is some vision you are having after chomping strange fungus out in the desert, then I pass! :lol:

You crack me up! S-

I was thinking something like this -
Attachments
33899493500_3c23b6a26e_oc.jpg
33899493500_3c23b6a26e_oc.jpg (140.35 KiB) Viewed 907 times

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Didereaux » Tue May 02, 2017 9:42 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Didereaux wrote:
St3v3M wrote:I'd be happy to share 'another' vision if you'd like. S-

You crack me up! S-

I was thinking something like this -

NAH, had that one, but wanted that loading steps in the shot. Your crop does illustrate my belated point about the signal not being necessary though. ;) But if you are going to crop that shot I would crop it tight. Up from the bottom to the shadow line under the car, and in from the right about 15% or so. Aspect of 8x10, print 12x15, and frame in a 16x20 dbl matted blk over wht. That puts all the emphasis in the engine, and makes the car a sort of framing, or border foreground element.
Most won't know that those steps are for the engine crew to get up and down on from the cab. To them it will be a small head-scratcher. For those who are more familiar with train stuff know it just belongs.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed May 10, 2017 1:06 am

Didereaux wrote:... For those who are more familiar with train stuff know it just belongs.

You bring up an interesting point -
- Do we include things because 'they belong'?
- Or crop for the best effect and tell the best story?

In this case, then, do we include the signal because 'it belongs' or can we remove it if it tells a better story? S-