Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

Monthly Masters DiscussionMonthly Masters' Discussion - October 2019 - Travel Photography - Eric's Hudson's Monhegan

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Monthly Masters' Discussion - October 2019 - Travel Photography - Eric's Hudson's Monhegan

Post by minniev » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:52 pm

Introduction

I offer this unusual Masters from the island of Monhegan, off the coast of Maine, where my husband and I are spending the week with two other photography couples/forum friends. We will, while here, attempt to capture the spirit and character of this particular place. This is essentially what many of us do when we travel afar. We will this month consider a photograph taken here in the 1800s by a traveler - its value as history, as culture, as art. And at the same time, let us consider our own travel photographs and their potential value.

Eric Hudson arrived on Monhegan Island in 1897 for two reasons. He loved to sail and he loved to paint. When he dropped anchor in the harbor of the island off the coast of Maine, he knew he had found a jewel in the ocean. He bought a house there and became part of the summer colony of artists who made Monhegan one of the most famous painting spots at the turn of the century. Hudson had another talent, too - photography. His photographs went undiscovered until 1992. Researchers compiled the collection into a book, “An Eye for the Coast”, over half of which is devoted to scenes on Monhegan Island at the turn of the century. The photos invite a reverie about the way life used to be way out there on a mile-long island in the fierce waters of the Atlantic.

As you consider the photograph posted here, share your thoughts about it, and about the photographs you document your travels with. There are some links below to learn more about Hudson’s art and photography, and some links about travel and documentary photography. Here’s some questions to spur your thinking.

Questions to Consider

1. The island is changed since 1897, of course. Most of the houses now have electricity, and most of the boats have motors. Still, there is an aura of the place that seems unchanged. How do historical photographs help us understand places and events that happened before our time?
2. What are your thoughts of the composition in this image? The subject matter? Does it tell a story? Within the constraints of its time, is it technically sound?
3. Do historical photos have a place in the world of art? Discuss your thoughts. Would you display a historical photo like this one on your wall? Why or why not?
4. Thinking forward to your own work or that of photographers you follow or admire, what is the role of the travel photograph? Do you display yours? Do you invest in printing and framing for them? Do you consider any of them art?
5. There is some current thought that in order to capture the essence of a place, one must visit it often, spend time to develop an intimate understanding, before capturing meaningful photographs. Do you agree with that? Explain.
6. Would you share a travel image you are pleased with? Give us a little of the backstory, and tell us why it has value for you.

Links for Further Study

https://vitabrevis.americanancestors.or ... le-pieces/
http://web.colby.edu/allen-island/2016/ ... pe-photos/
https://archive.bangordailynews.com/199 ... into-book/
https://www.mainememory.net/artifact/29031
https://www.outdoorphotographer.com/tip ... otography/
http://artdaily.com/news/48710/Photogra ... Ygqh-dKgUw
https://www.theartstory.org/movement/do ... otography/
Attachments
29031.jpeg
29031.jpeg (57.29 KiB) Viewed 78 times
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:46 pm

No takers?

Here is my own version of Fish Beach 2019, a little different but not so much...
Attachments
mm (1 of 1).jpg

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:03 am

I prefer your image minniev......your Masters threads are just over my head and to deep for me....

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:36 am

Psjunkie wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:03 am
I prefer your image minniev......your Masters threads are just over my head and to deep for me....
No they aren't, all you gotta do is say what you like and why!

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:06 pm

I can appreciate this Monthly Masters' Discussion, only because of the recent past visit to the island. Loved almost every minute of the experience and will leave that for another discussion, but in the meantime I'll add one of my own from a different perspective.
Attachments
Fish Beach DEC_4137w.jpg
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:29 pm

Well done..good perspective

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:08 pm

davechinn wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:06 pm
I can appreciate this Monthly Masters' Discussion, only because of the recent past visit to the island. Loved almost every minute of the experience and will leave that for another discussion, but in the meantime I'll add one of my own from a different perspective.
Very nice choice for editing this scene. I can't wait to see more of your photos.

It is amazing how timeless Fish Beach is. Monhegan is a living time capsule and your image reveals that.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:32 pm

very cool - timeless images, one thing I know for sure, that pre-WW2, or there about, the world was in black and white. Everyone was color-blind, no one would know that green was for GO.

When I was a kid during my college years summer vacations, I was a lumberjack in the mountains of Utah, and we slept in little shacks just large enough for the bunk and pot-bellied stove. No running water, no electricity. You got used to it, and I am glad I got to live like that for a while.

I think historical images are tremendously important - they are about the only way that we can understand the past - because the storytelling thing certainly doesn't exist anymore. I think that just like you can have a sense of place, you can have a sense of time, in fact, perhaps those can't really be separated!

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:32 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:32 pm
very cool - timeless images, one thing I know for sure, that pre-WW2, or there about, the world was in black and white. Everyone was color-blind, no one would know that green was for GO.

When I was a kid during my college years summer vacations, I was a lumberjack in the mountains of Utah, and we slept in little shacks just large enough for the bunk and pot-bellied stove. No running water, no electricity. You got used to it, and I am glad I got to live like that for a while.

I think historical images are tremendously important - they are about the only way that we can understand the past - because the storytelling thing certainly doesn't exist anymore. I think that just like you can have a sense of place, you can have a sense of time, in fact, perhaps those can't really be separated!
Thanks for joining in our reverie, Piet, and wish you could’ve joined us on the island.

Agree with you about the value of historical imagery, whether photographic or traditional art. They explain visually what we can’t experience.

Dave, Duck and I came close though, visiting this island is like slipping into a wrinkle in time.