"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

Monthly Masters DiscussionMonthly Masters' Discussion - JMW Turner's "Snowstorm" - Let's Talk About Water and Light

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Monthly Masters' Discussion - JMW Turner's "Snowstorm" - Let's Talk About Water and Light

Post by PietFrancke » Thu May 10, 2018 8:16 pm

Turner is always Epic, so I tried to capture Epic by putting a tower in front of Minnie's raging water. I think I might have gotten a touch of epic, but it doesn't look like Turner to me...
tower.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Thu May 10, 2018 8:31 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:16 pm
Turner is always Epic, so I tried to capture Epic by putting a tower in front of Minnie's raging water. I think I might have gotten a touch of epic, but it doesn't look like Turner to me... tower.jpg
Thanks for sharing your creation, Piet, and for using my birds' maelstrom to create it. It is mysterious, ominous, and unsettling. Turner-inspired.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu May 10, 2018 8:59 pm

I like Piet's creation. I do not see it as a tower so much as a ship under sail so there y'go. :|
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu May 10, 2018 9:59 pm

minniev wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:31 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:16 pm
Turner is always Epic, so I tried to capture Epic by putting a tower in front of Minnie's raging water. I think I might have gotten a touch of epic, but it doesn't look like Turner to me... tower.jpg
Thanks for sharing your creation, Piet, and for using my birds' maelstrom to create it. It is mysterious, ominous, and unsettling. Turner-inspired.
Inspired by Turner.. And by Minnie.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu May 10, 2018 10:00 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:59 pm
I like Piet's creation. I do not see it as a tower so much as a ship under sail so there y'go. :|
I can see that, some surrealistic dark kind of ship.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon May 21, 2018 3:37 am

I'd like to say he was right-handed, or had an inner ear infection, as some of his work leans heavily to the right, but the others are straight so it's hard to say, but I'm not sure any of this matters other than the wonder why some areas you'd expect and others lean.

I didn't get the image at first seeing a storm of paint with a street light in the distance but the more I looked the more I liked it and enjoyed studying the others as well. I'm a little lost by his work, some conventional as if it was what he used to pay his lifestyle, and the others wild and imaginative as if he was either drunk or wildly imaginative and exploring the limits of the world around him.

I like that the one article describes his work as “Turner’s pictures always look as if painted by a man who was born without hands,”

The composition is interesting and telling of someone who's been through the storm and made it home to tell about it. I'm not sure how else you would paint it but it's all there, the turbulence, power, and confusion. I'd have liked a little more detail in the boat but I'd like a lot of things and I'm sure this is better than how I would have tried to portray it.

This is an interesting one I will have to come back to and look at again. Fun! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon May 21, 2018 3:45 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:37 am
I'd like to say he was right-handed, or had an inner ear infection, as some of his work leans heavily to the right, but the others are straight so it's hard to say, but I'm not sure any of this matters other than the wonder why some areas you'd expect and others lean.

I didn't get the image at first seeing a storm of paint with a street light in the distance but the more I looked the more I liked it and enjoyed studying the others as well. I'm a little lost by his work, some conventional as if it was what he used to pay his lifestyle, and the others wild and imaginative as if he was either drunk or wildly imaginative and exploring the limits of the world around him.

I like that the one article describes his work as “Turner’s pictures always look as if painted by a man who was born without hands,”

The composition is interesting and telling of someone who's been through the storm and made it home to tell about it. I'm not sure how else you would paint it but it's all there, the turbulence, power, and confusion. I'd have liked a little more detail in the boat but I'd like a lot of things and I'm sure this is better than how I would have tried to portray it.

This is an interesting one I will have to come back to and look at again. Fun! S-
Thanks for a fascinating review. I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of the contradictions in Turner’s work, as he could evidently paint in the detailed/reaslistic style of the day, but seemingly when left to do as he pleased, waxed poetic and created what may have been the earliest impressionistic interpretations of the sea. There are sea images of his that are totally realistic: a large framed print of one hung in my home all during my childhood. But the ones with all that wild imaginative rendering seem to evoke a lot of feeling in the viewer. He is a painter worth spending significant time studying.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon May 21, 2018 4:14 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 3:45 pm
Thanks for a fascinating review. I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of the contradictions in Turner’s work, as he could evidently paint in the detailed/reaslistic style of the day, but seemingly when left to do as he pleased, waxed poetic and created what may have been the earliest impressionistic interpretations of the sea. There are sea images of his that are totally realistic: a large framed print of one hung in my home all during my childhood. But the ones with all that wild imaginative rendering seem to evoke a lot of feeling in the viewer. He is a painter worth spending significant time studying.
I think it's wonderful you bring artists outside the photographic field to light, important even, as it gives us a chance to not only see what the masters of other genres have done but also see how they collide with light and composition and color. It's important for us to remember the 'rules' of the past, but also to make our own as we forge ahead with the beautiful art form we all love! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"