"Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be." —John Wooden

Monthly Masters DiscussionMonthly Masters' Discussion - "Ghandi At His Spinning Wheel " by Margaret Bourke White

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Monthly Masters' Discussion - "Ghandi At His Spinning Wheel " by Margaret Bourke White

Post by St3v3M » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:23 am

I've tried to look at this as if I didn't know anything about it like one of us posted it here -

I like the image and I don't but it's probably the reasons I don't that I keep looking at it. The grain doesn't bother me as much as the angle, it's as if it was taken from around a corner, through a doorway maybe, but it's for that reason I like it too. It feels intimate like we stepped in without knocking and choose to steal this moment. Symbolically I understand the spinning wheel but think it would be better without it. It's not as much that it's detracting, but more that it would set the mood for his solitude, the table too.

I think I would like this even if it wasn't Gandhi. It's been educational working through this discussion and I'm better for it! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:22 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:23 am
I've tried to look at this as if I didn't know anything about it like one of us posted it here -

I like the image and I don't but it's probably the reasons I don't that I keep looking at it. The grain doesn't bother me as much as the angle, it's as if it was taken from around a corner, through a doorway maybe, but it's for that reason I like it too. It feels intimate like we stepped in without knocking and choose to steal this moment. Symbolically I understand the spinning wheel but think it would be better without it. It's not as much that it's detracting, but more that it would set the mood for his solitude, the table too.

I think I would like this even if it wasn't Gandhi. It's been educational working through this discussion and I'm better for it! S-
Thanks for chiming in Steve. I think the circumstances under which the photographer was shooting helped create the impression that she was "cut off" from Ghandi by space as well as culture and (his) preference. She sees him as we might - from around the corner and maybe from another room. Your comment reminds me of another image, the painting by Velasquez, Kitchen Maid With the Supper At Emmaeus. http://www.artrobberies.com/32-art-the ... -at-emmaus
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:15 pm

minniev wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:22 pm
Thanks for chiming in Steve. I think the circumstances under which the photographer was shooting helped create the impression that she was "cut off" from Ghandi by space as well as culture and (his) preference. She sees him as we might - from around the corner and maybe from another room. Your comment reminds me of another image, the painting by Velasquez, Kitchen Maid With the Supper At Emmaeus. http://www.artrobberies.com/32-art-the ... -at-emmaus
I know some of his story, but wonder if this has a deeper meaning, being cut off from him as if it's a metaphor for his life. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"