"Sometimes imagination is no more than randomness applied." —Piet Francke

Monthly Masters DiscussionMonthly Masters' Discussion: Dec 2017 - Two Kinds of Christmas Images: Currier & Ives vs William Eggleston

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Monthly Masters' Discussion: Two Kinds of Christmas Images: Currier & Ives vs William Eggleston - Share Your Thought

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:37 pm

Steven G Webb wrote:The stark reality, sharply defined edges and contrast in Eggleston's photo run counter to the illusion most have of the holiday season. Yule tide is emotion more than equation and feeling more than fact. We like our movies chock full of special effects and CGI and we really don't want to see the wires, the chroma screens and animations though we can rationalize they are there.

If you haven't already seen it watch The Matrix! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:37 pm

St3v3M wrote:Maybe that's how you play the game, take an image of something, anything, and throw it out there letting others decide what it means? S-
- Ah, I just had an idea!!!

If you notice, most all great photographers never explain their images.
Personally, I feel that if I have to explain one of my images, I failed somehow.

Oh, and by explanation I don't mean a description of location or date or other data driven information.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:44 pm

St3v3M wrote:If you haven't already seen it watch The Matrix! S-

I'll take the blue pill!

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:01 am

Duck wrote:
St3v3M wrote:If you haven't already seen it watch The Matrix! S-

I'll take the blue pill!

And I the red! S-

Steven G Webb
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Steven G Webb » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:39 am

I made an attempt at watching The Matrix once. Failed. It is either intellectually above me or I need to be stoned rather than sober to get it.
If you've never failed you've never tried.
Holly Ridge Photography
Facebook

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:47 am

Steven G Webb wrote:I made an attempt at watching The Matrix once. Failed. It is either intellectually above me or I need to be stoned rather than sober to get it.

It's one that you probably have to watch a couple of times and even then most people don't see the second dimension to the movie. The short version is that people live in a computer simulation and most are happy to accept it. Your comments made me think about it and how it relates to the topic. No need to see it now.

Be well and be you! S-

Steven G Webb
Mentoris Alumnus
Mentoris Alumnus

Post by Steven G Webb » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:57 am

St3v3M wrote:
Steven G Webb wrote:I made an attempt at watching The Matrix once. Failed. It is either intellectually above me or I need to be stoned rather than sober to get it.

It's one that you probably have to watch a couple of times and even then most people don't see the second dimension to the movie. The short version is that people live in a computer simulation and most are happy to accept it. Your comments made me think about it and how it relates to the topic. No need to see it now.

Be well and be you! S-

au contraire mon frère now I have more reason and motivation to watch it. Thanks for clearing that up.
If you've never failed you've never tried.
Holly Ridge Photography
Facebook

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:13 am

Steven G Webb wrote:au contraire mon frère now I have more reason and motivation to watch it. Thanks for clearing that up.

Always! S-

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:17 pm

Min, thanks for bringing these discussions over here because they are marvelous. This one may be the best yet for its stark, blatant contrast between, shall we say, myth and reality. (But which is which? ;) )

minniev wrote:
Steven G Webb wrote:
minniev wrote:Thank you for pitching in, and we don't mind repetitious, 'cause you've probably got your own unique view!

The stark reality, sharply defined edges and contrast in Eggleston's photo run counter to the illusion most have of the holiday season. Yule tide is emotion more than equation and feeling more than fact. We like our movies chock full of special effects and CGI and we really don't want to see the wires, the chroma screens and animations though we can rationalize they are there.

Thank you! You're the first to bring up our infatuation with being coaxed into believing an illusion.Indeed, Currier and Ives perpetuates that sweet delusion, while Eggleston slaps us in the face with it.

All else aside, it may be germane to note that Currier and Ives don't have one single soul in that treacly scene wearily shoveling the stuff! :lol:

St3v3M wrote:
Psjunkie wrote:... you know I don't know squat about art ...

From discussions like these I don't know that many of us do, but it makes me wonder if it would affect our work, and to what extent, better or worse? S-

I am inclined to think that the more we know and understand art the better photographers we are likely to be, regardless how we identify as photographers. I believe I am a documentary photographer, closely aligned with photojournalists on the one hand because I want it "real," but on the other hand pretty much not bothered by "'shopping" a picture to make it better (I hope) by willfully editing it. I like to capture reality, but prettier, not as far as Currier and Ives, but I am somewhat repelled by many of Eggleston's pictures, and at bottom I really dislike the one in the OP.

St3v3M wrote:
Charles Haacker wrote:My sentiments exactly, Frank! I did however go looking at more of Eggleston's stuff plus studious commentary so now (as usual) I am torn. Like you I don't know squat about art or much else for that matter, but I've said often that I have fairly eclectic tastes in many things. ....

I love that Frank is so straightforward, nothing to decipher there, and you are so elegant and rounded. If I had to guess I'd say you were brothers in another life!

You are right too to like so many different things, I went through a lot of phases with music and love pretty much everything I see in museums, but there are times I stand in front of something and think why did you waste the money printing this, let alone framing it, and it hangs in a gallery? Is this the kind where you pay to have your work shown and they take a profit IF you sell something? I have so much to learn, mostly why something so bad is thought of as so good. S-

Frank! Dude! Bro! 8): (Thanks Steve but I am not at all elegant but you got the well-rounded part right: I can't see my toes much less touch them.) :rofl:
But seriously, in both real and virtual galleries I too see things I cannot believe are even there, much less the pricetags, and woe betide if the artist is dead! :S

St3v3M wrote:
Charles Haacker wrote:... Reading it twice I more and more came to feel that he was putting us on and inwardly hilarious at his own joke. ...

I wonder it The Masters were arrogant or like Stephen King just looking for a way to get the voices out of their head? S-

I find myself often citing the parable of the unclothed emperor parading around in his undies, but then I have to remind myself (again) that I don't know nuthin' 'bout AAaaaart and the folks who supposedly do (are they posturing as well?) think that what I see as garbage they see as Great AAaaaart worth zillions. Is it? Could it be that the emperor is totally nude and no one wants to say so? :| The thing is, I LIKE art, I have a creative bent or I wouldn't even be interested in photography or a lot of other things, but in my ignorance I sometimes wonder if someone is being scammed. (N)

Duck wrote:
St3v3M wrote:Maybe that's how you play the game, take an image of something, anything, and throw it out there letting others decide what it means? S-
- Ah, I just had an idea!!!

If you notice, most all great photographers never explain their images.
Personally, I feel that if I have to explain one of my images, I failed somehow.

Oh, and by explanation I don't mean a description of location or date or other data driven information.

I have no problem with explaining. My work explores the relationship between Jungian archetypes and life as performance.
With influences as diverse as Kafka and L Ron Hubbard, new tensions are synthesised from both orderly and random discourse.
Ever since I was a kindergartner I have been fascinated by the theoretical limits of the universe. What starts out as hope soon becomes corrupted into a manifesto of defeat, leaving only a sense of nihilism and the chance of a new reality.
As temporal phenomena become distorted through studious and personal practice, the viewer is left with a tribute to the outposts of our condition.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:31 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:I have no problem with explaining. My work explores the relationship between Jungian archetypes and life as performance.
With influences as diverse as Kafka and L Ron Hubbard, new tensions are synthesised from both orderly and random discourse.
Ever since I was a kindergartner I have been fascinated by the theoretical limits of the universe. What starts out as hope soon becomes corrupted into a manifesto of defeat, leaving only a sense of nihilism and the chance of a new reality.
As temporal phenomena become distorted through studious and personal practice, the viewer is left with a tribute to the outposts of our condition.

Art Critic Brain?