"Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be." —John Wooden

Monthly Masters DiscussionMonthly Masters' Discussion: Dec 2017 - Two Kinds of Christmas Images: Currier & Ives vs William Eggleston

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Monthly Masters' Discussion: Two Kinds of Christmas Images: Currier & Ives vs William Eggleston - Share Your Thought

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:45 pm

minniev wrote:... I'm still a bit puzzled by Eggleston's work, but it intrigues me. ...

I've often wondered if the definition of art should be something like -
-something I neither like or dislike, but that which intrigues enough me to look at it again and again.

We should revisit this! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:03 pm

LindaShorey wrote:For the current generations, I wonder if the "sentiments stirred in us" are different for people growing up in Hawaii or Florida than those of us who grew up in places like Maine, ...

I was born and raised in the LA Basin, and while I've been to the mountains in the late fall my circle have never been snow people. A White Christmas was something I saw on tv and I never really thought much of it, that is until I was talking with a friend who lives in Pennsylvania talking about how she was going horse sledding. I thought she was teasing me until she sent pictures and it made me wonder why I lived here. A friend in Canada just sent pictures of the sled her husband built and a video of them going out for their first snow ride, meanwhile, we're having firestorms that are only getting worse.

The joke in Southern California is that we love the snow, but we love going home to our warm homes when we're done with it. I wonder then if I had been raised somewhere where a White Christmas was more reality than late night tv would it have changed my point of view, or is it true that Christmas Is In The Heart? S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:06 pm

PietFrancke wrote:ugly red, green, blue

I read something just recently about poems and why they are so memorable. No one really knows, but the article said science points to the idea of visual reminders, where the more we can see something in the words the more likely we are to remember them. All I could think about are your wonderful poems! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:09 pm

minniev wrote:... For people who grew up in the South, this was the scene we dreamed of having at Christmas (likely BECAUSE of Currier and Ives) but never did.

You have The House for it but not the snow, I wonder though if there are Southern' traditions that make up for it? S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:15 pm

Duck wrote:... Underneath that layer of fantasy is the Eggleston image. Ugly, untidy, unlit and frustratingly jumbled. This is the "morning after hangover" image of Christmas. The one I'd rather not see, as it ruins the illusion. ...

You know I couldn't pass by the "morning after hangover" and not say anything. I'm laughing because it's true. I can see him sitting there on the ground, bottle in one hand camera in the other half dazed thinking Wow That's A Beautiful Tree (burb) and he takes the picture before falling on his face.

Something Linda said about passing the image through a critique struck me too, I'm sure we'd be kind about it, but seriously? Look at the hotspot in the middle, the composition, the distraction in the upper-right corner, the power lines, and on. The idea these are in a gallery makes me wonder if I know anything. S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:23 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:My sentiments exactly, Frank! I did however go looking at more of Eggleston's stuff plus studious commentary so now (as usual) I am torn. Like you I don't know squat about art or much else for that matter, but I've said often that I have fairly eclectic tastes in many things. ....

I love that Frank is so straightforward, nothing to decipher there, and you are so elegant and rounded. If I had to guess I'd say you were brothers in another life!

You are right too to like so many different things, I went through a lot of phases with music and love pretty much everything I see in museums, but there are times I stand in front of something and think why did you waste the money printing this, let alone framing it, and it hangs in a gallery? Is this the kind where you pay to have your work shown and they take a profit IF you sell something? I have so much to learn, mostly why something so bad is thought of as so good. S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:28 pm

Duck wrote:... But Eggleston is no dummy and knows how to play the game. Create it without explanation and let others fill in the gaps. ...

Maybe that's how you play the game, take an image of something, anything, and throw it out there letting others decide what it means? S-
- Ah, I just had an idea!!!

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:31 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:... Reading it twice I more and more came to feel that he was putting us on and inwardly hilarious at his own joke. ...

I wonder it The Masters were arrogant or like Stephen King just looking for a way to get the voices out of their head? S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:33 pm

minniev wrote:Thanks for an in depth response! I agree with your assessment of the Eggleston image, I am convinced he captured the irony on purpose, since irony is probably the quality I see most in his work , after color (which is his primary driving force). I am drawn to Eggleston in part because he is from the same place I was born (Mississippi delta), and photographs the same things I've seen all my life, often in ways I'd never have done. I don't know him personally, but his nieces were my playmates as a child so I vaguely knew of him before I ever owned a camera. One critic from New Orleans described his work as "something like a short story Eudora Welty started but never finished"). That is the best description I've found of his perplexing work. It isn't particularly inspiring to me, but it captures my attention.

I was wondering if you were going to comment on the works? Irony, Color, Nostalgia, all strong motivators. Interesting! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:34 pm

Duck wrote:Like you, Chuck, I would give Eggleston a cursory look and move on. Not so much because I don't understand it but more because his work doesn't appeal to my aesthetic tastes. He is indeed, as you said, a master craftsman and I will definitely disagree with anyone who dismissed his work as just a bunch of 'snapshots', but he is one of those artists you can not judge an image against itself. It must be taken in context within the whole of a series for that one image to be understood.

It will be curious to think how we are remembered, will it be that one image, or the collection taken in context within the whole? S-