"Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be." —John Wooden

Monthly Masters DiscussionMonthly Masters' Discussion: Nov 2017 - Vermeer's Girl With A Pearl Earring

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Monthly Masters' Discussion: Vermeer's Girl With A Pearl Earring - Share Your Thoughts

Post by St3v3M » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:28 am

Reading through the support material I became interested in Minnie's link to Tim's Vermeer Film and Vermeer's paintings might be 350 year-old color photographs. While there I did a little research and came across 10 Reasons to Doubt Tim’s Vermeer, Why is “Tim’s Vermeer” so Controversial? and if you want to get really technical Vermeer's Camera and Tim's Vermeer. It seems Vermeer might have been a bit of a geek!

Wanting to know more I found an Explanation of how Vermeer was able to get the lighting much better than before. I knew there was some skepticism from the readings above so I found this History of the Camera Lucida Drawing Tool and he Comparator Mirror at West Buckland School by Tomas Georgeson.

And while not the movie above I found this fascinating Vermeer: Master of Light (COMPLETE Documentary)

I hope this helps! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:08 pm

I am a huge fan of Vermeer and will post more later, but wanted to add a website link for your review, it is a commercial site, but their advertising, which is all over Iceland on billboards and in magazines, struck me from the first moment I saw it as photography that is reminiscent of Vermeer. http://geysir.com Geysir is a clothing vendor, and I had no need for Icelandic clothing but I found their advertising amazingly artistic. This was the sample that I saw first, and I immediately thought of Girl With A Pearl Earring. This image is from the 2015 campaign, which was still up when I visited.
Attachments
e.toll_0053final--710x947.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:12 pm

minniev wrote:... from the first moment I saw it as photography that is reminiscent of Vermeer. http://geysir.com Geysir is a clothing vendor ...

Simple and effective. Thank you for adding this! S-

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:03 pm

I watched the whole of Vermeer's Camera and Tim's Vermeer. I haven't watched any rebuttal but I am nevertheless a believer: Vermeer was a "photographer." (Y)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:01 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:I watched the whole of Vermeer's Camera and Tim's Vermeer. I haven't watched any rebuttal but I am nevertheless a believer: Vermeer was a "photographer." (Y)

Minnie, I searched my archives and this is the only one that might fit: the granddaughter, of course, in Cape Cod Bay. Yes, even then, she was left handed. Matt
Attachments
Monthly Master's, Michaela (1 of 1).jpg
Monthly Master's, Michaela (1 of 1).jpg (173.5 KiB) Viewed 675 times
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:21 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:Minnie, I searched my archives and this is the only one that might fit: the granddaughter, of course, in Cape Cod Bay. Yes, even then, she was left handed. Matt

Crop in and darken the background and you'll have a lovely Girl In Pink! S-

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:27 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:Minnie, I searched my archives and this is the only one that might fit: the granddaughter, of course, in Cape Cod Bay. Yes, even then, she was left handed. Matt

Crop in and darken the background and you'll have a lovely Girl In Pink! S-

Steve, I tried cropping but this is a major crop to begin with and the further crop really pixilated it significantly. So I went with what I had. Thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:55 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:I watched the whole of Vermeer's Camera and Tim's Vermeer. I haven't watched any rebuttal but I am nevertheless a believer: Vermeer was a "photographer." (Y)

I really enjoyed Vermeer: Master of Light (COMPLETE Documentary)! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:50 pm

From The 15 Best Easter Eggs You Might Have Missed In Your Favorite Animated Films

- Only Art Lovers Need Apply -
In a scene from "Beauty And The Beast," Mrs. Potts, Cogsworth and Lumière hold a secret meeting to figure out how to get Belle to fall in love with the Beast. The scene takes place in a hallway that’s filled with sculptures and paintings. One of those paintings is actually the infamous "Girl With A Pearl Earring," by artist Johannes Vermeer.
Attachments
Pearl.jpg
Pearl.jpg (107.8 KiB) Viewed 567 times

minniev
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by minniev » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:41 pm

St3v3M wrote:From The 15 Best Easter Eggs You Might Have Missed In Your Favorite Animated Films

- Only Art Lovers Need Apply -
In a scene from "Beauty And The Beast," Mrs. Potts, Cogsworth and Lumière hold a secret meeting to figure out how to get Belle to fall in love with the Beast. The scene takes place in a hallway that’s filled with sculptures and paintings. One of those paintings is actually the infamous "Girl With A Pearl Earring," by artist Johannes Vermeer.

Awesome find! Art, hidden in secret places!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones