"Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be." —John Wooden

Monthly Masters DiscussionMonthly Masters' Discussion: Sep 2017 - Weston's Pepper

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Monthly Masters' Discussion - Weston's Pepper

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:48 am

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:The lst book I purchased on a photographer back in the late 70's was Edward's Daybooks. I still have them in my library and recently re read volume 1.

The smiplicty of the image, a pepper (everyday found object) creates a wide range of emotions from the viewer.
Of course it has impact, that is the reason why it stops us in our tracks when viewing it.
Prints do differ. This one is in need of some serious spotting. ;-) I've heard that Ansel told Edward his prints have a green tone to them and I have to agree with this example. A more modern print printed by his son Cole
offers a complete different tonalty.
Form follows function.
I would love this image in my BW Collection. The last vintage print sold for $341,000, a print by Cole Weston can be had in the $15,000 range. To much for my pocket book. ;-)
I have not photographed peppers, however I have photograph pears.

His influence has been huge and that of his son Brett. There are times when I have them in my thoughts when seeing an image. Here is one from last Sat that had me thinking of Edward.

Oh, One of the lst things I learned from Edward Weston was about Composition: How strongly are you seeing what your looking at, the only rule I adhere too.

Thanks so much for weighing in, Ernst! Your door is striking, loaded with detail and texture thanks to that strong skimming sun. It is powerfully interesting, the sort of picture one can gaze at long and longingly.

Purely incidentally, I met Brett Weston several times. I was going to school and working the counter in a major photo supplier in Oakland, CA (Alpha Photo, now long defunct). Brett came in fairly often to buy supplies. At the time I think he was living in Carmel and primarily working on printing his and his father's negatives. He was unfailingly kind and gracious to a kid who hero-worshiped the Weston name. :) Also utterly incidentally, I've been doing a lot of scanning of prints owing to the negatives being long lost, and I notice that when scanning a print the dust is godawful. If you use some sort of built in dust mitigator it mitigates sharpness as well, so, yeah, that. :|
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:07 am

Matt Quinn wrote:Ernst, This is not in the same league or even universe as the church, but I thought to post it anyway. Taken on a Crosby Beach, Cape Cod in the off-season when crews repair privy enclosures. It shows what salt air, sun and sand-spray wind do. Maybe this should be posted in the Gallery instead? Matt

Matt, I think it is a terrific picture entirely in keeping with the Found Object theme of this thread. Post it anywhere you like, but not instead. Personally I would not crop and straighten it but that's purely subjective. What I love about it, besides that incredible texture from the sun being edge on to the door (fence?), is the echoing fence or door standing tall and straight behind it. As Ernst mentioned, what grabs one looking at Pepper no. 30 is its impact. Your kind of faux dutch-tilted massively peeling piece has impact!
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:26 am

Thank you Chuck. Your comments always, one by one, have encouraged me as have those of many others. BTW, I posted the crop in Landscape and Scenics. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:16 pm

Thank you Chuck for being a Good Shepherd for the thread while I was in Scotland. And thanks to all who commented.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:51 pm

minniev wrote:Thank you Chuck for being a Good Shepherd for the thread while I was in Scotland. And thanks to all who commented.

You're welcome, Min, and now we can't wait to see Scotland through your lens. :)

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:44 am

"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:28 pm

Thanks, I'm a believer in the concepts of "no rules" and "beauty can be anywhere".
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones