"One day you are a signature, next day you are an autograph." —Billy Wilder

Monthly Masters DiscussionMonthly Masters' Discussion: June 2017 - Cartier-Bresson and The Decisive Moment

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Monthly Masters' Discussion: Cartier-Bresson and The Decisive Moment - Share Your Thoughts

Post by St3v3M » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:22 pm

uuglypher wrote:Decisive moments?
No two alike! ...

I agree and believe the idea extends to all areas of our lives, and ironically I came across this recently The Travel Photographer's Decisive Moment. For me an iconic scene is made better by the weather.

This is an amazing discussion and only getting better. Thank you for sharing these amazing photos! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:24 am

Interesting conversation mostly over my head with great examples.....while not a technically sound image, it is a decisive moment captured.... I find it takes a lot of time in the view finder to catch them.....
Attachments
20170615FGS_2188-Edit.jpg

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:49 am

Psjunkie wrote:Interesting conversation mostly over my head with great examples.....while not a technically sound image, it is a decisive moment captured.... I find it takes a lot of time in the view finder to catch them.....

Wow, look at those eyes! She's already her own person! S-

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:52 am

St3v3M wrote:
Psjunkie wrote:Interesting conversation mostly over my head with great examples.....while not a technically sound image, it is a decisive moment captured.... I find it takes a lot of time in the view finder to catch them.....

Wow, look at those eyes! She's already her own person! S-
Thank you St3v3m..catching that expression is the decisive moment though.

uuglypher
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by uuglypher » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:22 am

You're absolutely right...especially with photographing children the most common expression after squeezing the shutter is "Damn! Wish I'd caught that! I suspect that you have many shots of this young lass, most of which are "Close, but no cigar!"...and then you came up with this diamond-hard sparkling gem!!!

Dave

Psjunkie
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:30 am

uuglypher wrote:You're absolutely right...especially with photographing children the most common expression after squeezing the shutter is "Damn! Wish I'd caught that! I suspect that you have many shots of this young lass, most of which are "Close, but no cigar!"...and then you came up with this diamond-hard sparkling gem!!!

Dave
Cigars are hard to come bye Dave and gems even harder....thank you.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:52 pm

I know that in today's digital age much of Cartier-Bresson's decisive moment may feel a bit dated or somewhat inadequate or stale for anything but street or photojournalism, but I have always subscribed to his way of thinking about image making when it comes to shooting events. At least I try to, as I juggle so many things at once in my head. :)

I thought about writing my observations here but I since decided to write a longer piece for my blog, and this site, rather than just popping in with a short note. For that I need to put in my due diligence and do a little research, and this is where I need a little help. I am having a hard time finding the text to his book, "the decisive moment". None of my area libraries have it and I'd rather not pay $80 (or more) for a new copy. I also can't seem to find it online. Plenty of references to the text but not the actual text. I'd rather not misquote anything because my perception is off.

If anyone has the book they are willing to send me a copy of his discussion on the decisive moment I would be ever so grateful. In the meantime I will be expanding my search to libraries further out from me.

Thanks in advance.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:22 pm

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:00 pm

Duck wrote:I know that in today's digital age much of Cartier-Bresson's decisive moment may feel a bit dated or somewhat inadequate or stale for anything but street or photojournalism, but I have always subscribed to his way of thinking about image making when it comes to shooting events. At least I try to, as I juggle so many things at once in my head. :)

I thought about writing my observations here but I since decided to write a longer piece for my blog, and this site, rather than just popping in with a short note. For that I need to put in my due diligence and do a little research, and this is where I need a little help. I am having a hard time finding the text to his book, "the decisive moment". None of my area libraries have it and I'd rather not pay $80 (or more) for a new copy. I also can't seem to find it online. Plenty of references to the text but not the actual text. I'd rather not misquote anything because my perception is off.

If anyone has the book they are willing to send me a copy of his discussion on the decisive moment I would be ever so grateful. In the meantime I will be expanding my search to libraries further out from me.

Thanks in advance.

I couldn't find an online copy of it either, Duck. I found bits and pieces of the text in some of the articles I linked but no complete version. I hope you'll link your final product back here for everyone to enjoy. I'll look a bit more and if I find anything will add it here.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:01 pm

"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones